Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft posts two major Vista fix packs for download

• 08-08-2007 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

You can get both packs here

938194 Vista Compatibility and Reliability Pack
    This update resolves a number of individual issues which may be affecting some computers running Windows Vista. These issues have been reported by customers using the Error Reporting service, product support, or other means. Installing this update will improve the reliability and hardware compatibility of Windows Vista in a variety of scenarios. Some examples of the improvements contained in this update are:
    * Improved reliability and compatibility of Vista when used with newer graphics cards in several specific scenarios and configurations.
    * Improved reliability when working with external displays on a laptop.
    * Increased compatibility with many video drivers.
    * Improved visual appearance of games with high intensity graphics.
    * Improved quality of playback for HD-DVD and Blue-Ray disks on large monitors.
    * Improved reliability for Internet Explorer when some third party toolbars are installed on Vista.
    * Improved Vista reliability in networking configuration scenarios.
    * Improved the reliability of Windows Calendar in Vista.
    * Improved reliability of systems that were upgraded from XP to Vista.
    * Increased compatibility with many printer drivers.
    * Increased reliability and performance of Vista when entering sleep and resuming from sleep.

938979 Vista Performance and Reliability Pack
    This update resolves a number of individual issues which may be affecting some computers running Windows Vista. These issues have been reported by customers using the Error Reporting service, product support, or other means. Installing this update will improve the performance and responsiveness for some scenarios and improves reliability of Windows Vista in a variety of scenarios. Some examples of the improvements contained in this update are:

* Improves performance in resuming back to the desktop from the Photo and Windows Energy screensaver.
    * Resolves an issue where some secured web pages using advanced security technologies may not get displayed in Internet Explorer on Windows Vista.
    * Resolves an issue where a shared printer may not get installed if the printer is connected to a Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 system and User Access Control is disabled on the Vista client.
    * Resolves an issue where creating AVI files on Vista may get corrupted.
    * Improves the performance in calculating the ‘estimated time remaining' when copying/moving large files.
    * Improves performance in bringing up Login Screen after resuming from Hibernate.
    * Resolves an issue where synchronization of offline files to a server can get corrupted.
    * Resolves a compatibility issue with RAW images created by Canon EOS 1D/1DS Digital SLR Camera which can lead to data loss. This only affects RAW images created by these two specific camera models.
    * Resolves an issue where a computer can lose its default Gateway address when resuming from sleep mode.
    * Improves the performance when copying or moving entire directories containing large amounts of data or files.
    * Improves the performance of Vista's Memory Manager in specific customer scenarios and prevents some issues which may lead to memory corruption.

938979bench_final.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thanks. Heard they were comming but forgot about them.
    Link to 2nd one (938979)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979/en-us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah these are official releases everything seems to be okay after installing on my main Vista 64-bit box no problems not that I had any beforehand though.

They really should stick these on Windows Update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Only thing I have noticed is when copying a few big .vob files from one hd to another the transfer seemed to go a lot faster, haven't seen any improvements in games except on exit then vista seems to give back resources a bit quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

ha the 32bit validation of the first file doesn't work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

ha the 32bit validation of the first file doesn't work!

Works fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

it just spits back a microsoft error canying the page can't be found on the server

the performance patch works fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

happened to me as well, just go back and try it again. Worked second time on both occasions for me.

Cheers for the update links. The slow file transfer between the 2 vista machines i have at home was doing my head in. Ended up sticking the files onto USB keys as it was quicker to transfer that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

These will be distributed automatically by Windows Update next Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I haven't found much of a difference speedwise after installing these. File copying is still a lot longer than XP.

I've noticed a HUGE difference on 64bit vista. No idea if it's faster than XP or not but it's definately a lot faster than it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've noticed improvements in 32 bit vista too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

B-K-DzR wrote:
    I've noticed a HUGE difference on 64bit vista. No idea if it's faster than XP or not but it's definately a lot faster than it was.

I switch between XP and Vista 32bit machines on a daily basis. Thats why I make the comparison. I also regularly stick a lot of data on an external and bring it to another machine. So you notice when its slower. Vista not as bad when I first got it about 3 months ago, but its still not as quick as XP. I'm certainly not seeing improvements anything like those bar charts. The preparing to copy message still takes ages.

I too am switching between Vista and Xp on a daily basis however they are never side by side so it's kind of hard to judge for me.

Preparing to copy is instant now for me...

Advertisement