Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE premiership highlights

• 08-08-2007 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice that RTE are doing prem highlights on both saturday and sunday this first weekend? I wonder will this be a regular thing this season?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Not sure if it will be every week but it is on the following Sunday too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yes this will be regular. New deal means more highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fantastic news.

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,668 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

a bit of topic but are RTE be showing any live PL matches ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

JoeA3 wrote:
    Anyone notice that RTE are doing prem highlights on both saturday and sunday this first weekend? I wonder will this be a regular thing this season?

Its going to be regular, because of the new televison deal a lot of the big four are going to playing on sunday and rte know that the majority of their viewership are for the big four plus maybe sunderland this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

a bit of topic but are RTE be showing any live PL matches ?

No as far as I know it's only Setanta and SS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Correct... Last year RTE & Setanta shared Saturday Afternoon matches, this year Setanta have them all...

No the previous deal the had was bought with Setanta, thats why RTE had a match every second week and so did Setanta, and it was because the old television deal with SKY only covered the UK, I think the new deal includes the rights to the UK and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Is there a list of the games that Setanta Ireland are going to be showing?

Noelie wrote:
    Is there a list of the games that Setanta Ireland are going to be showing?

Look here. They have only released the first 32 as normal at the start of a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

So, what's the cheapest TV package which provides Setanta sports?

Look here. They have only released the first 32 as normal at the start of a season.

Yeah I saw that yesterday, but are those match on Sentanta Ireland or Sentanta Sports, I'm curious about the games on the NTL Sentanta

Noelie wrote:
    Yeah I saw that yesterday, but are those match on Sentanta Ireland or Sentanta Sports, I'm curious about the games on the NTL Sentanta

NTL Setanta = Setanta Ireland. Sentanta Sports are their extra subscription channels. There is Setanta Ireland(NTL) - Free, Setanta Sports One - Pay, and Setanta Sports Two - Pay. The reason they are "giving away" some of the games on their free station is that its like a form of advertising for their product. Get people watching them and then switch all the games to their subscription channels and try get people to subscribe to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think the new deal includes the rights to the UK and Ireland.

The 30 Saturday 3pm games are seperate as they can only be shown in Ireland, not the UK.

NTL Setanta = Setanta Ireland. Sentanta Sports are their extra subscription channels. There is Setanta Ireland(NTL) - Free, Setanta Sports One - Pay, and Setanta Sports Two - Pay. The reason they are "giving away" some of the games on their free station is that its like a form of advertising for their product. Get people watching them and then switch all the games to their subscription channels and try get people to subscribe to them.

Yeah Alan I know that, the reason I put it that way is that I'm only interested in what game will be on Setanta Ireland, The link that was supplied earlier seems to be for the Setanta Sports games as it states 7 games and setanta Ireland isn't getting that many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    Fantastic news.

Nice one.
    I dread to think what you'll be like in a couple of years time. You can't handle the fact that people follow foreign football and it's getting worse and worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Are Sky showing PPV games this year or are they all on the regular Sky Sports ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,668 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

s8n wrote:
    Are Sky showing PPV games this year or are they all on the regular Sky Sports ?
    no PPV for sky this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

It seems they now also have license to cover the late Saturday game, which they never did before. And I always thought they neglected to include it out of laziness!

There are still several problems with the coverage though, in my opinion, including:
    • The amount of time spent on stuttering analysis is out of proportion to the action shown. For example I'll wager that MOTD will show McCarthy's injury, and stuff like the fans reaction to Ashton coming on.
    • The stupid sound they play when a graphic comes on or goes off the screen sounds like someone blowing in a microphone and is sooo 1980's.
    • The use of the put-a-circle-around-a-defender-machine (I don't know the technical term) is ridiculously stilted, as Giles has never figured out how to work it and has to give audible instructions to whomever is manning it.
    • Not exactly RTE's fault I know, as they have to pay for the highlights somehow, but compared to watching MOTD, the extended ad-breaks after each match are frustrating.
    • Jimmy Magee should really be watching the matches from the nursing home, so that only an unlucky few are subjected to his woeful commentary.
    • George Hamilton should be compulsorily retired or given a desk job for similar crimes against commentary.
    • Their street game/graffiti/live action opening credits pastiche sucks, and definitely looks tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

While I'm happy they give me the chance to see the action from the other matches at an earlier stage on a Saturday evening, the quality of the service leaves so much to be desired.

There are just so many schoolboy errors, they obviously don't proofread anything, either that or they can't be bothered correcting mistakes.

Just 2 out of a host of mistakes today were:

The pronunciation of Martin Petrov at one stage

and saying eyebrows were raised when Santa Cruz didn't start for blackburn which left the pairing of McCarthy and Aliadiare up front

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its too well mannered, I'd like to see Graeme Souness get invited back for an on-going gig and to temp Eamo to return. He may be a controversialist but hey its not dull!

Mike.

Advertisement