Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Needs

Options
  • 08-08-2007 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have heard about ‘Local Needs’ (not sure if there is another name for it), however I cant find anything on the internet about it…can anyone point me to a website???

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mel123 wrote:
    Hi, I have heard about ‘Local Needs’ (not sure if there is another name for it), however I cant find anything on the internet about it…can anyone point me to a website???

Whats in context?

As in shops schools etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

i'm trying to find out more information about it to.
    Most of the sites in the area i'm looking at are for local needs but i think its going to chance since its not legal to insist that only locals can build somewhere.
    I'm trying to find out more information on this too so if anyone knows anywhere i can look it'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You need to give some sort of context OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

As in buying a site to build ur own house in your local area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Like, where a local council will refuse Planning Permission for one-off houses unless the person applying is originally from the area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kimried

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/locals-only-planning-rule-illegal-and-discriminatory-says-eu-798149.html
    hi there the link above is from the independent and looks at the inquirary by the EC into weather the locals needs rules are illeagal. For my sake and yours I hope the sort it out cause will be looking for a site in louth next year to selfbuild but not being from the area our choices are looking grim the needs seem to go in tiers so diffrent areas have diffrent rules i found some rules from wicklow hope this help personally i think the county councils are a bunch of (insert any expletives you like here)

Tiers 1-3
    No restrictions on occupants of new residential developments
    Tier 4
    20% ‘local need’ defined as ‘those persons who have been resident in the
    country for at least one year and/or who are currently in full time employment
    in the County. (80% open market)
    Tier 5
    50% ‘local need’ defined as ‘those persons who have been resident in the
    country for at least one year and/or who are currently in full time employment
    in the County’. (50% open market)
    Tier 6
    Policy SS6: Any new single house developments and at least half of new multi house
    developments shall be for first time owners in the area, who are permanent native
    residents (a person who was either born and reared in the family home or resided for
    at least 10 consecutive years prior to the application for planning permission) of
    within 8km of the respective village or those who by virtue of their employment
    require to live in the village. The remainder of houses in such multi house
    developments should be provided for local growth only. Any new residential
    development must be appropriate to the scale of the village.
    Tier 7
    Policy SS7: Any new residential development within these settlements must be
    reserved for first time owners in the area, who are permanent native residents (a
    person who was either born and reared in the family home or resided for at least 10
    consecutive years prior to the application for planning permission) of within 8km of
    the respective village, or those who by virtue of their employment require to live in the
    village. Any new residential development must be appropriate to the scale of the
    village.
    Tier 8
    SS9 applies

Advertisement