Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow browser on fresh webpage

• 08-08-2007 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, looking for any advice here. When my browser starts or goes to any new webpage the connection is really slow. Once in a site response is good. This happens with IE6 and Netscape on XP. I have run Ad-Aware, Spybot and got rid of a load of rubbish. Also ran Registry-Mechanic and fixed a load of (so called) problems. I have two PC's together on the same broadband router and one is fine so I know connectivity is not the issue. Has anyone experienced the same thing? Otherwise machine runs perfectly with all local applications. NIC on both are set to the same although I see the slow PC has Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 configured in the connection as well as the standard Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). The Microsoft entry cannot have it's properties viewed as this option is greyed out. Any thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Sounds like a slow DNS server. Is one PC set up manually to a specific DNS? or are they both set up to different DNSs

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Airliner

DNS is automatic as is DHCP from my provider, both PC's on the same router, only one has the problem so I don't think this can be the case. I agree this could be the suspect but having the control PC on the same router and provider kind of rules thisd out. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Just on a hunch, is the slow computer running Google Toolbar in the browser?

Because this may be the cause of the slow-down. It automatically looks up the page rank for every new site before allowing it to load.

no, I try and keep the browser as clean as possible without any add-ons.

Sean, sussed it, after two days! It was the Microsoft tcp/ip version 6 protocol in use on the NIC. Not really sure how it got there, perhaps some app configured it in? Once deleted the issue was instantly solved on any browser after a reboot. I guess the only good thing about the problem is that it made me clean up the whole PC, a bit of a service! You had to see the performance hit to believe it, made browsing a painful experience. Many thanks for your interest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement