Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's best road racers?

Options
  • 08-08-2007 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I need to interview one of Ireland's most promising cyclists. Unfortunately, I don't know who they are, where they are, and how to get access to them. Ideally I'd be able to get a half hour interview and then follow on a training run to record some action footage.
    If they were participating in the upcoming www.tourofireland.ie that would be great too.

The names I've come across so far are: Paidi O’Brien, Paul Healion, Philip Deignan, Denis Lynch, Nicolas Roche.

Does anyone know anything about these guys(besides Roche having a da).

The ideal candidate would be in their early 20s and accessible for this kind of thing.

Any help in narrowing down my list - or adding to it?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Well down here in waterford you also have Ciaran Power who will be riding in the tour of Ireland (a pro with the navigators team in the US, twice winner of the RAS, 13th in the Athens Olympics, current Irish Criterium Champ). He is 30 so doesn't fit your age profile, but I know he is back in Ireland for the next few weeks and can put you in touch with him if you need. Of similar vintage you have his training partner Brian Kenneally who will be riding the tour of ireland with the Irish team, Brian is not a pro but has been without question the number one domestic rider this year winning many important races (including 2 stages of the ras).

Other good riders in that bracket, Sean Lacey, David O'Loughlin etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Pick yourself a copy of Freewheel magazine, a dedicated Irish cycling mag. You might be able to pick a few names out of it.

Sean Kelly's Irish pro team, Murphy and Gunne would be a good place to start too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

what about Tarja Owens?
    http://team-worc.com/tarjaowens/

She was like, the youngest competitor in her event in Sydney i think.
    I presume she's still racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Why not look at Philip Deignan he rides for AG2R in france which are a pro team or how about one of our female Irish Pro's Siobhan Dervin who Rides for Lotto in Belguim. Or Maybe talk to one of the upcomming Juniors Sam Bennett or Denis Dunworth. You have Ciaran Power as well who rides for Navigators. Micheal Concannon who is a top track rider and who is a S***T hot on the road as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Thanks for all the info: its already been a great help. Didn't realise we had such talent as Ciaran Power out there. Unfortunately, he's too experienced for this. Someone like Philip Deignan might turn out to be my man.
    To narrow my criteria down more:

1. Must be male.
    2. Probably better if the are on the verge of a pro contract, or maybe a 1st season pro.

I'll look into those juniors you mentioned crashoravoid.

Oh yeah, whats classifies a junior? Under a certain age? Amateur?

Thank you all.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer. Shame he doesn't fit the bill.
    Quigs Snr wrote:
    but I know he is back in Ireland for the next few weeks and can put you in touch with him if you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

What about any of the Irish members of the Sean Kelly cycling team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Sounds like you need to interview Daniel Martin. Of all the promising young Irish riders out there, he's arguably got the most talent and potential. He's Stephen Roche's nephew, just inked a deal with Slipstream; very much an up and coming Conti-Pro team. Look here: Daniel Martin Article To get hold of him, email the Slipstream website. And don't waste time, he will be in Ireland during the Tour of Ireland, but won't be easy to find once it's over. If you can't get hold of him via the Slipstream site, try contacting the author of the CN article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

A Junior is over 16 and under 18, Sam Bennett and Denis Dunworth are probably among the best young riders around at the moment, Denis is also based in France so he's a very promising young talent. Sam was highest placed Irish rider in the Junior tour and also won a stage in the recent Suir 3 day beating both Ciaran Power and Brian Kenneally.

Nicolas Roche is over for the Tour of Ireland, there's a lot of lads cycling the Kelly Academy in Belguim. Kelly himself would probably be a good source of information.

dave2pvd wrote:
    Sounds like you need to interview Daniel Martin.

Thanks for that.
    I've sent off an enquiring email. Will let you know how I get on.
    He seems to fit the bill. Made more interesting due to the Slipstream deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement