Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E class diesel estate

Options
  • 08-08-2007 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Can anyone provide any "first person" experience with an E220 or E270 diesel (estate).

I am looking at getting a 02/03 with some 60/70k miles on it...

I have looked at the usual Honest johns, spokes to a few owners and can find no actual owner who has had anything other than minor problems....

Specifically, the press mentioned problems in the early cars with electrics -- is this the case --- anyone got a list of what failures might occur...

Are the engines and turbo bullet proof ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've never owned one, but I have driven a few. They're a great drive, and they look very well. The interior, however, is cheap to the point where I wouldn't be able to live with it. I'm afraid I have no experience of reliability or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I had an 01 E200K Avantgarde, the W211. I liked it a lot. I know a few people who've had bad experiences with the newer on (W212??) - nearly all electrical.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

i previously owner a 220d (1996) and currently own a 220 cdi (2001)
    the 220d gave very few problems with the exception of a stuck heater plug, because the car seems to last forever, they simply never got chnged. Eventully when i went to change them, i got 2 out (with difficulty) and a third cracked, allowing air into the engine when cold. So the car spluttered etc until the heat closed the gap. Tried the usual (wd40, heat etc) to remove it to no avail. eventually tightened it using welding gear and left it in. I subsequently sold the car. It as a very nice car and as solid as a rock.
    Oh yea, one other problem, seemed to be a common one, the tail pipe of the exhaust came off!
    My current drive is an avantgarde, im really happy with it. Second gear is a little stiff when cold, mabye thats me getting used to it (any others with this problem??).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

thanks....pretty much as I thought.

On fuel economy, what can I expect on urban and extra urban...

I will most likely bring the E270 in from UK as there is a super (or a large at least) selection...

(PPS. There a S320 cdi on the back page of buy and sell at the moment --- also tempting....)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

got 47mph on long journeys with the 220d, the dash tells me that im getting 55.6mph with the 20cdi. dont really know about short journeys, ask any taxi driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Make sure you get the newer W211 model and not the older W210 model. The W211 is vastly superior in every way. I'd go as far as to say it was the best car in the world in its class, even beating the BMW 5-series (E39). The W211 was introduced in early '02 but RHD not until late '02. Beware!

There were some problems (mainly electrical) but they should have been ironed out by now, probably under warranty. Make sure to test every single bell and whistle to see if it is working...

kyote00 wrote:
    Are the engines and turbo bullet proof ?

Too early to say really - which applies to most modern common rail diesels

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

unkel wrote:
    Make sure you get the newer W211 model and not the older W210 model. The W211 is vastly superior in every way. I'd go as far as to say it was the best car in the world in its class, even beating the BMW 5-series (E39). The W211 was introduced in early '02 but RHD not until late '02. Beware!

There were some problems (mainly electrical) but they should have been ironed out by now, probably under warranty. Make sure to test every single bell and whistle to see if it is working...

Sorry Unkel, I have to disagree. The 210 was a better car than the 211 and the E39 was better than both of the Mercs.

The problems are better described as electronic rather than electrical, ie more expensive to repair. The faults were not ironed out which, besides being a shame, is the real problem.

Sorry Unkel, I have to disagree. The 210 was a better car than the 211 and the E39 was better than both of the Mercs

I guess our criteria are different :)

The W211 is far superior as a drivers car compared to the W210. As regards to which gives the most trouble, I bow to your daily experiences. And I guess you don't do rust :D

The E39 is probably more reliable than either but I guess you have diagnosed Nikasil on more than one occasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I've owned a 01 BMW 530d, a 06 X5 3.0d and have a 07 535d touring at the moment and never had any problems with them, either electrical or mechanical. I've had a 02 220d and the thing was plagued with intermittent electrical faults that the dealer could only reset but never fixed, so much so that I only stuck it for 6 weeks. I had a 04 ML 270d jeep and apart from falling apart, it was always in trouble, gearbox, cold starting issues and niggly electrical problems. The dealers are unhelpful too to say the least. :(

• Advertisement

junkyard wrote:
    I had a 04 ML 270d jeep and apart from falling apart, it was always in trouble, gearbox, cold starting issues and niggly electrical problems

I was right behind a new model ML last Monday and the complete exhaust fell off :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

given that almost every car gets a bashing here....

what car (2nd hand) would you recommend for 30k ish with following requirements:
    - diesel (at least 2.0lt)
    - large estate (at least 600ltr luggage space)
    - leather
    -abs,ebd...and as many others tla's as affordable
    -Reliable
    -wont have to wear a paper bag over head when driving it :D

Many plan is to keep it indefinately (rather than trade on in a few years)....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

First one that springs to mind in this bracket is the other obvious German -
    A6 Avant. Might be down slightly on loadspace vs the Merc, but i think the Merc is class leading in this respect.
    Would a tooled up Mondeo estate fit the bill? One with all options ticked may be a bit tricky to find tho..and surely come in under budget.
    If you're willing to drop a few years, well a decade ;) , the W124 estates were pretty bombproof, and come from the era of MBs that were hewn from rock. This would also leave you with enough for another car! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

kyote00 wrote:
    given that almost every car gets a bashing here....

what car (2nd hand) would you recommend for 30k ish with following requirements:
    - diesel (at least 2.0lt)
    - large estate (at least 600ltr luggage space)
    - leather
    -abs,ebd...and as many others tla's as affordable
    -Reliable
    -wont have to wear a paper bag over head when driving it :D

Many plan is to keep it indefinately (rather than trade on in a few years)....

Mondeo Ghia X 2.2 TDCI. You should get one for a good bit less than 30k.

Advertisement