Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port forwarding / firewall settings / Xbox live

Options
  • 08-08-2007 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi, here's my problem, if anyone can help, that'd be great. Basically, I've set up a static IP address, and forwarded the ports specified for Xbox Live. However when I connect, Xbox tells me it can't establish live connection. If however, I change my firewall settings from medium to low, I can connect - but I'd rather not do this. I've noticed people mentioning clearsailing for port forwarding to work, but I don't see this option on my gateway (Netopia 2247NWG-VGx) UI. Even though the online pdf manual says I should see it, the UI i see is slightly different to what is shown online.

Anyone have any other ideas - I'm at my wits end! I think it may be something to do with opening the ports on the firewall itself, as opposed to the port forwarding, but I don't see any option on the UI to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Its OK to set it to LOW.

Its just a term to keep people happy!

Set it to low, and then go to this address to give yourself peace of mind :):)

http://www.auditmypc.com/firewall-test.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The buot in router firewall security level is not going to cause any adverse effects if you lower it. In fact, you have to. The 'level' merely refers to the number and locations of the deafult ports that are blocked. XBOX 360 Live requires the following ports to be opened:

• UDP 88
    • UDP 3074
    • TCP 3074

You could leave the level at 'high' and manually configure those ports to be open, or just set it to medium. High blocks most all incoming connections, and since those ports are not used for anything other than the XBOX Live, they are turned off when you set levels to HIGH as your average user isn't going to be using XBOX Live on their router.

-S

Advertisement