Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI output

• 08-08-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

For some reason the boards search function won't work properly on my PC and the google search isn't giving me the right threads, so apologies as this has probably been covered before.

I recently got a HD TV and want to connect my xbox 360 to it with a HDMI cable to get hi-def output. I also need optical audio out from the 360 to my AV receiver.

Is theres a cable with HDMI output that also has a jack to connect an optical audio cable to? I have the "HD component cable" but was under the impression that you need to use DVI or HDMI to get proper HD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Component gives you "proper HD" as long as its set right. HDMI gives you a digital connection to the TV, personally I can't see the difference in quality.

If you want to get HDMI from the 360 you will need to buy a new console, the Xbox 360 Elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The difference between component and HDMI is negligible.

The purists will tell you otherwise no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I recently got a HD TV and want to connect my xbox 360 to it with a HDMI cable to get hi-def output. I also need optical audio out from the 360 to my AV receiver.

Is theres a cable with HDMI output that also has a jack to connect an optical audio cable to? I have the "HD component cable" but was under the impression that you need to use DVI or HDMI to get proper HD.

Xbox 360 has no hdmi option. Component will carry the HD signal fine, as will the vga cable. A standard toslink optical audio cable will connect to av cable on 360, to optical digital input on your AV receiver.

Is your tv 1080p? some sets wont take 1080p over component.
    If you really want hdmi output, you will have to wait for the elite to be released. (new xbox, 120Gb hard drive, hdmi output)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

ah, thanks for clarifying that, I thought component wasn't able to do HD, but there ya go.

My set doesn't have 1080p, 720p I think. So would my component cable be noticeably better (i.e. would I notice the hi-def) than a standard definition scart cable?

Just trying to understand how much of a better picture I can expect if I was to use a HD-DVD drive add-on with output to the tv over the HD component cable.

ah, thanks for clarifying that, I thought component wasn't able to do HD, but there ya go.

My set doesn't have 1080p, 720p I think. So would my component cable be noticeably better (i.e. would I notice the hi-def) than a standard definition scart cable?

Just trying to understand how much of a better picture I can expect if I was to use a HD-DVD drive add-on with output to the tv over the HD component cable.
    There would be a big jump in sharpness and picture quality between scart and component. Are you sure you are not confusing component with composite (the yellow single connector), that can't output HD.

Don't forget to set the Xbox 360 to output 720p btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

Is there any difference between outputting 720p and 1080i?

setanta5 wrote:
    720p is better for fast moving images, like games and films. 1080i has more detail but suffers from artifacts when the TV is deinterlacing moving images.

EDIT: >_< suprised no one picked up on that mistake, 720p is better, not 1080i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

setanta5 wrote:

I stick to 720p myself, I can't see the difference going to 1080i except more flickering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

720p is the XBOX 360s native resolution anyhow if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

I have a feeling that the new 360's with HDMI will launch with the Elite. The reason I think this is because I have a friend who works in game and he was telling me that they havnt had any 360's for about a month now. And they will be getting them back in the same time as the Elite. It seems like MS are getting rid of all the older 360s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

they'll do the opposite, why would anybody bother buying the elite if the normal version had hdmi. They'll delay the hdmi normal version for as long as possible.

check headline on xbox-scene

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mayto wrote:
    they'll do the opposite, why would anybody bother buying the elite if the normal version had hdmi. They'll delay the hdmi normal version for as long as possible.
    According to gamesindustry.biz some US retailers already have them in stock. Who knows when Europe will get them though.

I suspect it's probably cheaper for MS to manufacture all 360s with hdmi. The Elite's main selling point is it's larger hd and colour.

Advertisement