Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone else think insurance has dropped a LOT?

Options
  • 08-08-2007 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭

I just got myself a quote on a 911 Carrera 2 for 1900 quid fully comp plus step back with ARB :confused:

I'm 25 :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You are happy paying almost 2 grand at 25? Thats pretty high, even if it is a sports car.

What year is the car and how much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

It's a 98 and it's worth nearly 60 and there's a 2001 example that would be in my budget too. A brand new one is just over €3,000 but sadly, I'm not a barman from Cork.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=682478

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=756807

TBH, maybe you're a good bit older than I but it wasn't long ago that you would pay around €4,000 to be insured as a named driver on a 1.25 Ford Fiesta.

It's not mine anyway but I was just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Insurance will only get cheaper when you hit 25 -insurance companies actually want your business or you get a full license.

ARB is perfect for you as they insure only ex cons, people with expensive cars and celebs. Their quotes are generally higher but i'd say it's the only company that deals specifically with high risk drivers.

layke wrote:

ARB is perfect for you as they insure only ex cons, people with expensive cars and celebs. Their quotes are generally higher but i'd say it's the only company that deals specifically with high risk drivers.

How did you come up with that one?! What defines a celeb? So they'd insure Jim Corr but not Brian Ormonde?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

302 full comp on a 1.4 car with full NCB protection and 24/7 roadside cover and free windscreen cover with Eagle Star Ins

Can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, its definitely come down significantly in the last 2 years. There was a lot of talk in the media on rip-off car insurance a few years ago, but its all died down now!
    I'm paying 650-ish on a Golf GTI (age 29, full NCB).

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

JoeA3 wrote:
    Yeah, its definitely come down significantly in the last 2 years.

i agree, but still pays to look around for deals rather than just pay the requested renewal.
    The prices have come down a lot but insurers profits have soared the last few years so there is room for them to come down even more.
    Thanks to the random breathtesting not only are deaths down a lot (90 approx last year) but so are injuries (down an estimated 750-800) and it is the injuries that cost insurance companies money not the deaths.

Cost of repairing cars is actually a small part of claims i would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

my ex just got fully comp(lady first policy includes loads of extras for women) with axa(generally the dearest) on a 2007 micra for 480 which was the same as quinn quoted(generally the cheapest) except it had all the extra benefits that quinn dont offer

i was very suprised as she is 21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

MarkN wrote:
    How did you come up with that one?! What defines a celeb? So they'd insure Jim Corr but not Brian Ormonde?! ;)

A mate of mine worked for them until about 3 months ago. I'm not naming names but if you really want to know you can PM me.

Not interested in names it just seems weird..

"hi Hibernian/Axa this is Paul Hewson.. can I have insurance please?" "No, go and ring ARB" ya get me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Mortmain

MarkN wrote:
    Not interested in names it just seems weird..

"hi Hibernian/Axa this is Paul Hewson.. can I have insurance please?" "No, go and ring ARB" ya get me?

It's to do with the potential size of third party claims - if Bono had the rest of the band in a car with him and got into an accident, I'm sure the claims would be on the high side - the insurer I used to work for would generally say no to any household names but for lesser known personalities, it would be a subjective decision.

OP - agree with you, €380 fully comp '07 Outlander, 3 yrs NCB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

layke wrote:
    ARB is perfect for you as they insure only ex cons, people with expensive cars and celebs
    Really?? Well as a Hyundai Accent driver who's never been in jail that's good news :)

I thought there was a mistake when I got my quote... €767 TPFT (24-yo male driver with 1 year's no claims and full licence since March).
    They undercut both Quinn and FBD by over €250

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone got a number for these guys, might change the insurance on the FTO from Quinn if the price difference is big

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

well i work in quinn, and one of the lads told me that the rates in ireland went up a bit over the last few months, but are due to come down again.

Well we just ave to wait an see.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Anyone got a number for these guys, might change the insurance on the FTO from Quinn if the price difference is big

Colm I think you might have to go through a broker for ARB - don't think they quote members of public directly.

Any broker can approach them as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I pay 522 3rd party for 2l d4d corolla, 24 full licence 2years, 5 yrs driving.
    She pays 508 :mad: 3rd party,1.4l focus,24, provisional licence 3years

well i work in quinn, and one of the lads told me that the rates in ireland went up a bit over the last few months, but are due to come down again.

Well we just ave to wait an see.
    What's the story with cancelling a Quinn policy, would I be right in thinking that they refund you for the portion left on your insurance and charge you a €50 admin fee?

colm_mcm wrote:
    What's the story with cancelling a Quinn policy, would I be right in thinking that they refund you for the portion left on your insurance and charge you a €50 admin fee?

If you pay in full with cash or credit card, the give back they time on cover you paid for but didnt use, less admin fee of £40 / €50.

Now if your going direct debit, you only get back any money you paid after the date the policy was cancelled. So alot of the time people get nothin back on them, unless ya back dated the cancellation.

This is all on condition ya aint got a claim thats open or thats finalised with money paid out on it.

cool, paid in full, but they had a problem with my company car policy, despite me going through it with them when I took out the policy, and are trying to hit me for another €600 a few weeks into it. Time to start shopping again!

no probs. Well the head of the irish broker federation or whatever there called released a statement awhile back, that all insurance premium shud drop in the comming months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement