Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to do Sweet potatoes

• 08-08-2007 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi trying to get my children to eat something a little different.
    Was thinking of maybe making sweet potatoe "chips"

anyone any ideas how to actually do this and make it edible??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

If you make them into thinish chips tos them in a little vegetable oil and cook in a hot oven until they are crisp 20-30 minutes depending on size they are really nice.

Another way they are good is to make a puree (boil, cut into small cubes and use a mixer to puree) adding a little cream makes it really good but obviously adds a bit to calories.

Finally they are nice in a stirfry. Par boil for 20-25 minutes and add them to your stirfry in small cubes. Goes really well in a curry too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 montyballs

dubsgirl wrote:

Thanks

cut them like steakhouse chips, mix in sum carrots and parnips the same size now put them in a roasting tray with olive oil,salt,cracked black pepper,fresh rosemary and tyme, and garlic chopped mix it all up leave in tray, preheat oven to 190-200c put in for 20-25 mins or until cooked. it will be so sweet they will not resiced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I use them as I would normal potatoes - I would mix half and half for mash for the top of Shepards pie and the like.
    Roasted they are lovely too. Lash some sea salt on them .. it is nice with the sweetness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

olaola wrote:
    Roasted they are lovely too. Lash some sea salt on them .. it is nice with the sweetness.

True story, thats the way i would always cook them and they're yum like that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As the OP wants to cook them for her kids I'd advise leaving out the sea salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

olaola wrote:
    I use them as I would normal potatoes - I would mix half and half for mash for the top of Shepards pie and the like.
    I also do this, I really like it. I find that I cook sweet potatoes far more than ordinary potatoes these days. I also cook them as wedges for a comfort food on bad days - the sweetness makes them a healthier alternative to chocolate cake when seeking comfort foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A bit off topic, but do sweet potaoes taste like sweet turnip?, I really dont like turnip and the thought of a sweet tasing one has a particulary vile sound to me.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TScul

I think they just taste like a sweet version of potatoes. I love to make home made chips (oven baked) half regular spuds, half sweet potatoes. One year old loves them, as do mammy and daddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

TScul wrote:
    I think they just taste like a sweet version of potatoes. I love to make home made chips (oven baked) half regular spuds, half sweet potatoes. One year old loves them, as do mammy and daddy.

Great idea, think I'll give that a go next weekend (I love to do experimental cooking at weekends).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Had these for the first time in my life in Seattle this year, Was in a Mexican restraunt and they were (shoestring) style chips, they had some parmasan sprinkled over them too, they were dam tasty!

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

dubsgirl wrote:

Thanks

My favourite way is to cut them like chips, do half / half ie. mix the sweet potatoe cut like chips with a couple of white potatoes. I don't fry the chips, I coat with oil and bake in a hot oven for approximately 25 - 30 minutes. Salt is not necessary but makes it nicer.

For a nice difference - once you've coated with oil, sprinkle a little nutmeg and cinammon on the potatoes (both white and sweet) and then bake. It is lovely. My little girl loves them.

Advertisement