Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 156 or am I nuts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Biro wrote:
    I guess we do now! Big man in his 528i, renowned for over heating problems.
    And he still advising a golf, the most unreliable car in it's class.
    If you want reliability, bypass Germany and Italy, go straight to Japan. If you want flair, go to Italy, if you want dull and quiet inside, go to Germany.
    Funny how the mighty BMW are copying a Fiat design in the diesels...

There are so many holes to pick in this!

might get around to it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Fey! wrote:
    528i; for someone soooo good at their research, you say that the V6 is the territory of the BMW 323Ci/328Ci/330Ci. But aren't they all straight 6's rather than V6's?

As for repairs, I have a '98 520i which has 69k when I bought it, and 2 1/2 years later has 93k. I have had to replace the MAF, which cost about €500, and the aircon was hit and miss for a while, which cost me €150 to sort (still need to replace some parts in it, but they're expensive). I also had to replace the accelerator pedal for €20 (won't sit right), and keep having to reset the airbag light,
    You were rode, Maf's can be had for an M5 @ €100 a pop! the rest of that (aircon & bushings ffs) are standard wear & tear for 100k mileage on any car.

And I'll have you know my research is impeccable, kyote00 had been comparing a 520i with his V6 alfa, when I correctly stated that "the V6's territory is 323Ci/328Ci/330Ci, not a big 5-series with a small engine" ie. to compare like with like, a 2.5 v6 alfa with a similar car and not a large executive barge struggling around with half an engine, big cars need big engines, end of story. No doubt it was bottom of the barrel poverty spec quote "bland as f*ck" also, which would drive anyone mad :rolleyes:

Lets not compare alfas with BMW's anymore, maybe fiats and lancias instead, both cheap & nasty secondhand, but full of 'flair' & 'character'. Like I say, get a golf and you'll have trouble-free motoring, TDi if you can stretch to it- rock solid residuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

528i wrote:
    , Like I say, get a golf and you'll have trouble-free motoring, TDi if you can stretch to it- rock solid residuals.
    I couldn't agree with you there 528i, Golfs aren't all they're cracked up to be either, the list of problems with them goes on and on.

The 92-'97 (ie. 2001 alfa money) mk3 golfs are reliable, newer mk4's may be experiencing some electronic niggles but they're not in our posters price range, given the choice I'd go for a '91 3-series over a 10year newer alfa any day, if only for the badge, prestige and adulation that goes with the uberpanzer ownership experience.

There's a lot of tossers driving them these days though, nouveau rich messers with no class and vulgar tasteless mods and kenko alloy wheels tainting the brand, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable moving in same circles as these low-lifes, (gawd could you imagine having to talk to them) but it would be better than any alfa romeo proposition. or an almera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

TigerTim wrote:
    :confused: I stopped keeping up to date with my daily driver a few years ago after a 2001 Peugeot 607 broke my pocket with its French electronics. Sold it & took a 1991 Toyota Corolla as a trade in. It now has 190K miles and still going strong with 1 year left on the NCT. Not the most exciting car to drive & definitely not great to look at. The Missus is also mentioning its time to get rid of it. She has her own car so is only concerned about how it looks in the front drive. Anyway, only want to spend about €5K. I have seen a lot of Alfa 156 around 1999/2000/2001 advertised for this money or less. I have always admired their looks & have heard the driving experience is second to none. Will it be as troublesome as the Peugeot. I really got sick of seeing warning lights!!. Anyone own a 156. What are your experiences?. Any other cars to be recommended in this price range. Needs to be able to carry 3 kids to school & not Primera/Avensis.

Thanks,

T.

I doubt very much you'd get an Avensis for € 5k, but you'll probably get plenty of choice with Alfas.

If you think you will have less trouble with a €5k Alfa then you probably are nuts. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

528i wrote:
    And what about all the other experts listed above, they wrong too ?

Are you trying to offload a 156 or something.. :D
    Like I said, the problem is the dealers, not the cars. We've had a 156 in our family for close on 130,000 miles, and it has behaved almost faultlessly. I don't think we'll be offloading it any time soon.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I must put you "BMWs are the be-all" guys in contact with a colleague of mine who recently handed back his 2007 X5 too the dealer because it has let him down completely on so many occasions. He was getting such a run around from the dealer he just returned the car and said he never wants to see it again and walked out.

To the OP:
    Would you really take advice from people who make ridiculous sweeping statements?
    You have people here saying ALL Alfas are crap, and then you have others saying the have owned alfas and had little or no trouble. Now, it is not too hard to figure out straight away that "All Alfas Are Crap" brigade are immediately proved wrong.

The fact is, a poorly looked after Alfa will most likely give trouble (as with any car). A well looked after Alfa that had the early timing belf change is less likely to give major trouble. A diesel Alfa is a very reliable machine, and probably the best diesel engine you can currently buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

528i wrote:
    You'll have a job looking after it yourself with simple servicing like changing spark-plugs and the oil filter on a 2.5 v6 being a 4hr ordeal requiring half the engine be removed, not for the casual DIY’er should he damage the heads @ €3000 replacement cost so you're more or less stuck with a main dealer (and all the shortcomings that go with that) as independents won't touch them with a barge pole either.

On the v6, like just about any other FWD car with transverse mounted v6, it is an absolute pig to change the plugs. Access is always tight when one of the heads is right up against the bulkhead. Just as well they only need to be done every 60k.
    The twin spark on the other hand is an absolute doddle for the casual DIY'er. Everything is close at hand and easily accessible.

I doubt very much you'd get an Avensis for € 5k, but you'll probably get plenty of choice with Alfas.

I guess that shows how you much you know. Wouldn't get an avensis for €5k, how about the 47 of them lisetd here on cbg.ie, or the 86 here on carzone.ie, not to mention another 25 on autotrader

If you think you will have less trouble with a €5k Alfa then you probably are nuts. :)

I'm still waiting for all the trouble on my €4,500 alfa that I've had for nearly 2 years. You'll have to call round and point out to me where exactly this trouble is, cos I can't find it for the life of me.
    The damn thing keeps starting whenever I turn the key. That can't be right according to sonnenblumen, the great expert on all things alfa.

prospect wrote:
    To the OP:
    Would you really take advice from people who make ridiculous sweeping statements?
    You have people here saying ALL Alfas are crap, and then you have others saying the have owned alfas and had little or no trouble. A diesel Alfa is a very reliable machine, and probably the best diesel engine you can currently buy.
    The original poster should weigh up the pros and cons and make a calculated decision based on hard evidence and warning's from a myriad of dependable sources qualified to make such assertions and give such advice and insightful feedback on the car's notorious reliability problems and voracious appetite for open wallet surgery from an incompetent dealership network.

He should disregard sweeping carlsbergesque generalisations like "probably the best diesel engine you can buy" from emotionally unstable (and possibly exhaust fume intoxicated) alfisti sympathisers befuddling the situation.

You'll find the only people extolling their virtues in almost ferrari like delirium are the same one's either selling or hoarding\can't sell under the guise of future classic status in order to avail of cheaper tax & insurance, and to justify the presence of 'something' 'anything' in their garage late at night as an excuse to escape the clutches of a nagging missus.

But they're forgetting one thing, that redish brown oxide corrosion called 'natures reaction to cheap Italian steel\iron\tin-foil' and if left unhindered, would almost consume one before your very eyes :eek:

I've heard stories about some alfas starting on the button and 'never giving a bit of trouble', unfortunately they were from drunk people down the pub who were experiencing what's called a 'state of denial' before collapsing & vomiting all over themselves, but I'm sure it's entirely possible given the right environment and compulsory TCL etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

528i and junkyard hate alfas always have, they are entitled to their opinion,

the fact is there arent many marques that wont give trouble, toyota or nissan maybe but bmw, vw and mercedes all have their problems

i have owned an alfa 156 1.8,mkiv golf gti, bmw e46 323ci and currently a bmw 530i, all in or around 50k miles when bough and funnily all need the same things at the same time, new maf, bushings replaced etc but not much else

granted i only keep cars for 7-9 mths at a time but the alfa wasnt any more or less expensive to keep for that period than anything else

528i wrote:
    The original poster should weigh up the pros and cons and make a calculated decision based on hard evidence and warning's from a myriad of dependable sources qualified to make such assertions and give such advice and insightful feedback on the car's notorious reliability problems and voracious appetite for open wallet surgery from an incompetent dealership network.

He should disregard sweeping carlsbergesque generalisations like "probably the best diesel engine you can buy" from emotionally unstable (and possibly exhaust fume intoxicated) alfisti sympathisers befuddling the situation.

You'll find the only people extolling their virtues in almost ferrari like delirium are the same one's either selling or hoarding\can't sell under the guise of future classic status in order to avail of cheaper tax & insurance, and to justify the presence of 'something' 'anything' in their garage late at night as an excuse to escape the clutches of a nagging missus.

But they're forgetting one thing, that redish brown oxide corrosion called 'natures reaction to cheap Italian steel\iron\tin-foil' and if left unhindered, would almost consume one before your very eyes :eek:

I've heard stories about some alfas starting on the button and 'never giving a bit of trouble', unfortunately they were from drunk people down the pub who were experiencing what's called a 'state of denial' before collapsing & vomiting all over themselves, but I'm sure it's entirely possible given the right environment and compulsory TCL etc.
    At last, the real 528i emerges! Let the OP read this, and accord 528i's opinions the level of respect they deserve.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

why does this always happen with alfa threads :(

i dont care what people think im getting the 3.2v6 gt or brera as soon as i can afford one! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lex Luthor wrote:
    My 523i gave me more trouble than the 156 ever did

Did you say that to the bloke you sold the 523i to? ;)

Anan1 wrote:
    At last, the real 528i emerges! Let the OP read this, and accord 528i's opinions the level of respect they deserve.;)

Don't mind me, let the OP review honestjohn.co.uk, and accord their opinion the level of respect they deserves ;

Good points ;
    One reader has reported 100% reliability for 12,000 miles.

Bad Points ;
    • Trim quality not up to BMW standards.
    • Usual Alfa build-quality problems with electrics.
    • Fuel enrichment device may stick, leading to poor starting.
    • Dealers are a very mixed bag.
    • Resale values fell heavily in early 2000 even before price cuts.
    • V6 and JDT can eat front tyres on the inside edge (need realiging with less toe-out).
    • Very useful site for tips and fault finding: www.alfa156.net
    • Air conditioning condensor vulnerable to stone damage.
    • Bosch 'hot film' Mass Airflow Sensors seem to be failing regularly.
    • FIAT/Alfa joint worst for breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001.
    • 9th from Bottom of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express 2002 survey.
    • 18th from Bottom in 144 car 2002 JD Power / What Car? Customer Satisfaction Survey of V and W reg cars.
    • Alfa Romeo had joint highest average cost in warranty claims for cars up to 10 years old in 2002 Warranty Direct index
    • Joint fourth bottom in 2002 Which reliability survey of cars up to 2 years old; 74 cars surveyed.
    • Alfa Romeo 2nd least reliable of 31 makes of car in 2002 'Which?' reliability survey cars 2000 - 2002;
    • 3rd least reliable cars 1997 - 1999. Only 87% breakdown free in 2003 Which survey.
    • Alfa Romeo had fourth highest warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index
    • 98-2000 average for breakdowns and faults and poor for problems;
    • 2001-2003 average for breakdowns and poor for problems and faults in 2003 Which survey.
    • 7th from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey.
    • 156 8th bottom model and Alfa Romeo bottom marque in 2004 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey.
    • Alfa Romeo 5th bottom of Reliability Index for 2004 combining average cost of repair of £392.88 with high 39.55 failures per 100
    • Warranty Direct policies. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk
    • Came 16th from bottom in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 74.7%
    What to Watch Out For ;
    Worn front tyres on V6. Front suspension alignment, in particular toe-out is critical. Accident damage. Kerbed alloys. Make sure aircon works properly. Feel the discs through the wheels for scoring or shouldering. Paint problems with solid lacquered black. Worrying number of 2.0 litre engine failures due to oil starvation when engines were full of oil points a finger at oil pump failure. Timing belts and tensioners need changing way before scheduled 72k miles. See TSB to change them at 36k. Problems with 156 Selaspeed gearbox actuator and long wait for replacement parts. 'Tappety' sounding engine sign that car has been run with low or dirty oil and variable valve timing has been damaged. Make sure engine has specified oil pressure. Clonks from rear suspension mean that bolts through he aluminium suspension components have not been tightened periodically causing wear and replacement bushes take a long time to arrive. Make sure a/c blows cold as can leak refrigerant. Stoned glass headlight lenses cost £175 each to replace. Take care to grease bonnet catch regularly as vulnerable to road spray and the safety catch can stick open. Bonnet may then fly open and wrap itself around the windscreem. Prone to cracking their alloy sumps on speed humps. Timing belt failures of 4 cylinder twin sparks extremely common. Need new belts and tensoners every 35k - 40k miles or every 4 years whichever comes first. On 1.9JTDM timing belt drives waterpump and waterpump failure can fling it off in as little as 40k miles, wrecking the engine. Seems to be a braking problem on diesels, which have a vacuum pump for the brake servo assistance: can feel like total failure of brakes, but only happens intermittently. Replacing master cylinder has cured it in some cases. On 1.9 JTD if the engine smokes or the car suddenly loses power, the secondary butterflies of the swirl actuator valve may have sooted up and seized. Possible to clean but this does not guarantee it won't happen again. Really requires the inlet manifold to be changed as the part where the actuator connects to jams and does not let the butterflies open. Job can take six hours as the fuel pump and cam belt have to be removed to get at it. A coincidental fault is sooting up of the EGR valve.

Recalls ;
    June 1999: Safety recall No 4054: Modify rear hinge mounting on all four side doors to prevent hinges splitting from doors. 2000: 156, built Nov '97-Oct '98: Brake pipe connector may crack and leak. September 2002: TSB issued to change timing belts and tensioners at 36,000 miles rather than 72,000 miles. 2-8-2002: Due to engine movement fuel delivery pipe from pump to inector rail may become strained and leak. Two extra support clips to be fitted. 73 cars affected (JTD's?); 1-10-2002: Metal brake pipe between master cylinder and ABS unit may chafe on a cable bracket. Check pipes and renew if damaged. 256 cars affected. 11-8-2003: Front suspension may loosen. Need to be replaced on 213 cars ZAR932---180021 to 229169 and 1253019 to 1316857. November 2004: TSB issued to dealers to check bonnet catch and bonnet safety catch.

Based on this overwhelming evidence which seems to run contrary to minority opinion here, I believe that one or two posts could be construed as misleading in this thread and would add the caveat 'never trust an alfa owner', be it on boards.ie, on the forecourt, or over an aperitivo down the pub ;)

And here's Honest Johns similarly long list of what's bad and what to watch out for from the vw golf you suggest as an alternative. You'll notice I conveniently left out all that he said was good, just like you did with the alfa.

What's Bad
    Steering originally very light but much improved for 2002 model year. Modification to 'B' pillar delayed production. Cable gearchange on all but 1.6 and 1.4, and have been problems with early 1.4 and 1.6 gearboxes. Original 1.8 20v and 1.8 20v Turbo work well but don't involve the driver. 1.8 20v replaced by old 115 bhp 2.0 litre 8 valver in 1999. 150bhp 1.8T supplemented by Anniversary 180bhp 1.8T with 6-speed box in late 2002 and this suffers variable build quality. The one I tried was nowhere near as good as a two year old SEAT Leon 20VT. Not everyone likes the relatively hard seats. Plastic coating rubs off the armrests of the doors and looks terrible. The back of the car gets very dirty. Alarm sensitivity on early production corrected by unnecessary pillar-mounted sensors (all drivers had to do was shut off the air supply to inside the car). Front door lock barrels of 1998 Golf Mk IVs can be prised out with a screwdriver and the windows opened without activating the microwave alarm. (Higher spec Golfs from 1999 on have ultra sonic alarms which can only be deactivated by the remote fob.) Heavy, so slower than Mk III when fitted with the same engines. Some TD 110s had a problem of stalling while coasting to a standstill from about 15 mph in neutral. The cure was to replace the ECU, but if the car was a personal import out of its 12-month pan-Euro warranty, the owner had to pay. This problem now seems to be coming back on high mileage TDI 110s. VAG acknowledges a fault with the ECU (038 906 018 BM) and specifies an upgraded unit (038 906 018 GQ) at £695.00 + VAT. According to VAG technical, this problem will eventually occur with all ECUs of this part number, so a second hand part may only be only a short term cure. Glass headlamp lenses of GTI and Highline models break easily and cost £260 to replace. Best protected by £25 headlamp protectors from VW dealers. To change a headlight bulb you need to take the entire front bumper off. VW charges a fortune to do this but its not hard, takes about 1-2 hours, maybe 15 screws but it is easy.
    If you have very small hands can probably do it with bumper on. Quite a few build quality niggles, especially on South African (SA VIN cars), such as squeaking seats, rattling window mechanisms inside doors which can fail entirely, clutch bearing failure, flywheel failure, trim panel for sunroof falling off rails, side window glass coming out of carriers, pipe to rear washer coming off and staining ceiling trim. If electric windows fail, its a £30 gear and cable though VW will only sell you the entire motor system for £200, plus fitting plus investigation charge = £430. Electrical problems in the tailgate from screenwash dripping from the (push fit) connection between the screenwash hose and the wiper motor assembly. Crimp ring around connection stops this. Also reports of complete failure of ancilliary electrics and problems with six speed gearbox on TDI 115. Reports of problems with V6 4-Motions: excess tyre wear, pulling to the left, same problem with printed circuit boards of self levelling Xenon headlights as occurred with Honda Accord Type R (same supplier). In damp weather, which then turns to freezing weather, the soft door seals are apt to freeze up and either make the doors impossible to open or tear when the doors are opened. Silicone grease is the answer. Audi A3 problem of leaking rear brake fluid union finding its way into early Mk IV Golfs. Some earlier Mk IVs with lowered suspension could ground their sumps on road humps. Mass Airflow Sensor problems common on 1.8T. For 1.8T problems and their solutions, go to forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=27 Reports of early timing belt faulure on 1.4 and 1.6 16vs due to failure of plastic tesnioner pulley. Faulty power steering switch on 1.6 can cause hunting of engine and erratic idle. Poor performance and fuel economy of Y and 51 reg 1.6 16vs may be due to fault with ECU, cured under warranty by dealer replacing the ECU. 1.8 20v engines are snapping their timing belts at 70,000 - 80,000 miles and the extensive damage this causes is not repairable. The car will need a replacement engine. 1.8 20v timing belt drives waterpump and belts are difficult to replace on transverse engines. Bosch 'hot film' Mass Airflow Sensors seem to be failing regularly. All 1.8 20V turbos built from around August 2001 to October 2002 can suffer from failure of one or more of the four ignition coils, which lead to a dispute butween VAG and a supplier and a severe shortage of coils from November 2002 to January 2003. Cabin leaks can be cause by misalighned water shield cover over the pollen filter (very fiddly to replace). Alarming number of water pump failure on 1.4s leading to timing belt failure and engines self destructing as early as 4 years and 37,000 miles. Intermittent power loss on TDI 90s and 110s may be due to one of the following:- sticking turbo due to dirty oil; dirty or faulty mass airflow sensor; exhaust gas recircularion solenoid valve sticking open; wastegate valve actuator rod sticking; faulty throttle switches; faulty temperature sensor; loose or leaking brake servo pipe or turbo boost pipe from fuel pump to turbo; faulty ECU; faulty Relay 109 (if it's white it needs to be replaced with a new spec relay coloured grey, costs £11). Golf Mk IV TDI starting problems may be cured by replacing the 109 Relay with p/n 1J0 906 381A (grey instead of black) uprated version - a little better. (about £10.00), and replaced the engine temperature sensor which also regulates the fuel supply via the ECU with uprated sensor (green) instead of blue)p/n 059 919 501A (about £24.00).

1.4 16v and 1.6 16v engines have plastic timing belt pulleys which can shatter after about 40,000 miles, throwing off the belt, now failing regularly, though fortunately the belts are rarely flung off when this happens. On early 1999/2000V reg estates the rear side window rubber mouldings oxidise and become sticky. Cooling fan motors of TDI PD 150 prone to failure. Manual transmissions of 1.4s and 1.6s prone to failure due to corrosion and cracking of the casing, but VW has still contributed up to 70% of of the cost for cars up to 5 years old. Lack of oil to the cams, especially the cam working the PD injectors, can cause severe camshaft wear. Seems to affect the TDI PD 150 thr most. So engine needs clean oil. Change every 7k miles max even using 506.01. Seems that the smaller electric fan on PD TDis, V5s and R32s is failing regularly and requiring a £400 replacement. Apparently the
    internal resistors in the fan unit break down, stopping the smaller fan from working constantly, as it should when the air con is on. This results in the larger engine fan, designed for cooling the radiator, to pulse on and off constantly, even when the engine is cold. Golf owners have reported through various websites that this can cause the main fan fuse to blow, potentially causing overhetaing problems in traffic. Windows come off carriers inside door because the plastic clip which hold them in place can break. The fix is metal clips. VW Customer Care has been known to pay up if the car is less than 5 years old.

1998-2000 petrol models average for breakdowns and faults, poor for problems; 2001-2003 petrol models average for problems, poor for breakdowns and faults in 2003 Which survey.

What to Watch Out For
    RHD personal imports not to full UK spec - especially estate cars. Some TDI 110s suffered a low-speed running problem which could only be cured by a modified flywheel and inlet manifold and in some cases a re-chipped ECU. See faults list above. On early Mk IVs look for rear brake fluid leaks as hydraulic connection to rear brake callipers can corrode due to types of metals used. Look under engine for damage to sump from road humps. "dog bone" gearbox mount seems to fail causing excessive vibration in car or clutch slippage.

JATCO advises owners not to carry out AUTOMATIC transmission fluid changes hemselves because it's difficult to ensure the correct amount is added (the gearbox needs to be run to a specific temperature - This requires diagnostic equipment) and probably they will use the wrong oil, e.g. Land Rover Discovery ATF is different from a Land Rover Freelander, and Jaguar X-Type (Jatco) uses different ATF to a Land Rover Freelander (Jatco).

Check aircon because air condition compressor clutch failure becoming common.

During June 2007, flywheels and clutches for diesels were "on back order".
    Recalls
    Announced Daily Telegraph 1/10/98: 9,500 Mk 1V Golfs from SE spec upwards fitted with volumetric alarms recalled to fit less sensitive volumetric sensors. (Not actually necessary because problem can be solved by using ventilation control to shut off outside air.) 1999: 70 early production 115 PDs recalled to replace pistons because they were not properly coated with a Teflon-like material in production. 22/1/2001 (Estate only): Welding faults on the seams of the ISOFIX mounting bars may occur. ISOFIX mounting bars to be re-welded. 26/2/2001: Build October and November 2000: Passenger airbag may not inflate correctly due to leak in pressure reservoir of gas generator. Passenger airbags to be replaced. (149 cars affected: same fault as on SEAT Leon and Toledo and Skoda Fabia.) 1/12/2001: Limited recall of seven Golf and Bora 4-Motion models built 1/2/1997 to 28/2/2000 because moisture can enter rear axle ball joints causing corrosion of the joints leading them to seaze and the suspension transverse arm to snap. Ball joints and transverse arm to be replaced. April 2002: German recall of all Golfs with standard ABS (no problem with those with ABS + EDS, ASR, ESP.) Led to Worldwide recall in June 2002. 9/5/2002: 24,703 Boras and Golfs recalled because electrical fault in ABS ECU could cause overheating, possibly even leading to fire damage. 26/3/2003: On 69,778 Boras and Golfs the brake servo vacuum supply pipe may crack and leak resulting in loss of power assistance to the brakes requiring more driver effort to stop. Examine vacuum supply pipe and fit improved quality replacement where necessary. 3-3-05 on LUPO,POLO,GOLF,BORA, TOURAN,NEW BEETLE,PASSAT AND SHARAN (WITH 2 PUMP INJECTOR ENGINE) built 1-3-04 to 31-8-04 bolts on tandem fuel pump may break. December 2005: VW dealers sending letters to owners of 1.9TDI PD130 and PD150 engined models 4 years old or more to have their timing belts and tensioners changed at 4 years or 40k miles whichever comes first.

5-8-2006 Ever helpful www.chillywillys.org reports: " 1998 - 2003 Golfs seem to have been a bit of an issue this year, customers reporting erratic compressor behaviour. Firstly, the compressor is a variable displacement type. This means it should be constantly engaged. and not, therefore clicking in and out. Should the owner experience disengagement and therefore timely warm temperatures through the vents, it is likely the control box immediately over the battery is at fault. By removing the cover it is possible to see the fused links that are prone to vibration fractures, particularly on diesel variants. If one or more of these linkages is broken, replacement should sort the naughty compressor out. This error does not show a code on the VAG diagnostic machine, apparently."

528i wrote:

LOL,

I'll give you credit for one thing, you are quite a good at writing pure fiction....

I suppose you are going to tell us all that the diesel engine in a BMW of the same price range is better that the ground breaking common rail which was introduced to the world in the 156!

I agree that all are entitled to an opinion, but not all are entitled to make up rubbish to try and prove a point that cannot be proved.

Cyrus,

Did you ever notice that Alfa threads are always hijacked by BMW fans. It is quite obvious that they feel very threatened by a manufacturer that produce cars that are far more beautiful, far more full of soul, far more engaging to drive, far better equipped, far better value, and in the most recent models they are equal if not better build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Ahh here we are again...

Some get it some don't.
    OP, test drive a few, see if you like 'em, get a history & - if you buy it - service it. Or you could read all that sh!te above...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

just had to make similar decision...

My old car got into a not roadworthy state, so new car had to be bought.
    Similar (slightly higher budget) But I wanted a Diesel engine and a hatchback/estate.

Looked high and low and despite me saying my Peugeot 306 was the last Peugeot budget contraints had me look at the 307.
    I also looked at an Alfa 156 2.4l JTD.

After test driving both - I was off the Peugeot.
    Despite honestJohn and ADAC and god knows what statistics the Alfa stayed on the cards.

Talking to lots of friends/colleagues about possible other cars (as respective owners of one) I figured (as youy all know) statistics are great, but what good is it that statistically your car almost never breaks down, but you got a lemon..... And also same holds true the other way round.

Long story short, I bought the Alfa and in the 10 days I have it - I has not broken down :-) Sure the suspension squeaks, but service is coming up and should fix that for a while.

I suppose buying a car is more about gut feeling/ emotional involvement than hard economics/statistics.

Will I regret having bought the Alfa - it probably depends on my experience going forward. But would I want to miss the fun I am having driving it until the trouble starts - absolutely not.

How to decide whether to buy the Alfa? Are you nuts buying one - probably. If you do buy, enjoy while it lasts and don't look back.

If you decide to buy a reliable Jap car - please post your experience in case it turns out to be a lemon... At least with Alfa the possible faults come as part of the package.

/WD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

You can find lots of reviews of 156's on www.ciao.co.uk. Almost every review I've read on it say that mechanically the cars have been fine, but the build quality is questionable, for example a fuel cap falling off was one, problem with an indicator stalk another review said. Based on those reviews, I wouldn't mind buying an Alfa, if I found a nice one that I liked. I was thinking about getting one myself, not too long ago, but decided against it, because if I was to get one, I'd like to get a really nice one with all the works, nice alloys, side skirts, leather seats, but to get a really nice example of a 156, you do have to pay for it, which was my main reason for not getting one. And I think if you want to be able to sell it on later, you really do need to pick up a nice example because there are just so many of them out there for sale, but if you're spending 5000 I presume resale won't be a massive issue, I'd say go for it. You won't get a much nicer car than a 156 for that money. Just look around for what you can get for 5000, a 156 is the best value for money by a distance in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

5281 with all respect but you really haven't a clue what you are talking about and are simply regurgitating stuff you read somewhere without even realising that you are contradicting yourself in doing so.

e.g you quote the BMW MAF as a service item at about 90k but the Alfa MAF as a failure and weak point at the same mileage ? erm how does that work ? Neither are made by the car manafacturer anyway, both being a Bosch unit afaik.

Have you ever owned and Alfa ? And before you say anything else, I am a BMW owner, a 330d, and I will never own one again. It has been constant trouble since new (06) and it has not even reached the stage where you would expect non-service items to be suffering from wear and tear. It luckily is under warranty but had it not been it would have racked up thousands in repairs so far.

This is in comparison to my daily driver, an Alfa, which replaced and Alfa which replaced another Alfa and none of them have had any work done that was not to be expected, none ever let me down bar once a flat battery. They survive totally on regular servicing and care and nothing else.

An Alfa like any car lives and dies by it's servicing, try servicing and driving your BMW the way some Alfa's have been treated (the way most users abuse them tbh) and see how long it lasts. It's a sports saloon and needs care something which the majority of owners find a difficult concept to grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anan1 wrote:
    The 156 is a wonderful car, but it needs to be cared for. If you are prepared to look after it and have a degree of mechanical empathy, then ownership will be a rewarding experience. If, like most people, you're just looking for wheels, then stick with a Japanese car.

That about hits the nail on the head.

I drive two car's..

A Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi (Automatic) and the wife's Alfa Romeo 156.

I just love the weekends when I wash both car's, but I love the gleam from the Alfa and then the quick spin "To dry her off love" and I'm away, with the sun roof open, the radio on and pretend I'm driving one of its more exotic Italian cousins :D

I love the Alfa.

(Oh, she's 01 D with only 35 Miles on the clock too!).

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

edited: cos I cba arguing with 528i, arguing with an idiot is pointless, they simply drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

@ the OP - go drive the cars, if you decide to get an Alfa make triply sure it has a good and complete service history. Do not take a wadge of receipts as proof, check that those receipts contain all they should such as timing belt changes. If you do end up buying an Alfa DO NOT skimp on servicing or you will join the long list of others that complain about their Alfa. Keep it well serviced and you will have a lovely well specced reliable car. If you can stretch to a JTD model I would advise it 100% over the petrol ones. The reliability of the JTD engine is astounding and from all reports it appears to be a long lived engine if looked after.

OKenora wrote:
    edited: cos I cba arguing with 528i, arguing with an idiot is pointless, they simply drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    With respect, I think you're missing the point. You're not supposed to argue with clowns, you're supposed to laugh at them.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Could not be arsed reading the crap posted byu people who have never driven or owned an alfa in this thread and are working on hearsay. I bought one almost three years ago second hand. It only had about 25k on the clock, now over 50k with no problems, except the lights warning indicator in pretty much permanently wrong, but I can live with that, particularly if it is the only "trouble" the car gives me. After I bought mine my brother took it for a spin a few times, liked it so much, he bought one himself, again he has had no problems. Before I bought mine, I asked around people whom I knew either currrently owned or had previously owned alfas and got little or no bad feedback. When you ask someone who never owned\drove one, they will speak through ignorance and slate them.

I'd go with the people who have experience of the cars, rather than the people who heard from a freinds brother .....

Waylander wrote:
    except the lights warning indicator in pretty much permanently wrong, but I can live with that, particularly if it is the only "trouble" the car gives me.

That could be one of the number plate bulbs blown. Had a similar problem, all the lights seemed to be working fine, then I realised there are two bulbs for the rear number plate and one was blown.

alias no.9 wrote:
    And here's Honest Johns similarly long list of what's bad and what to watch out for from the vw golf you suggest as an alternative

Can you read ?, I was referring to the Volkswagen Golf Mk III from 1992 - 1997, so what you've quoted is irrelevant nonsense.

OKenora, I do not need to be subjected to alfa ownership in order to make an informed decision on them or their appalling reliability record, If you feel that strongly then go speak with magazine editors, road testers, recovery specialists, warranty providers and thousands of unfortunate owners who partook in customer satisfaction surveys, tell them THEY have got it wrong and that you and some other deluded fools on boards.ie have got it right.

They will do exactly as I do with alfa aficionados, laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh cool another Alfa thread, haven't had one of these in ages.

I'm off to get some popcorn, nachos and beer.

bazz26 wrote:
    Oh cool another Alfa thread, haven't had one of these in ages.

I'm off to get some popcorn, nachos and beer.

Yeah, it has been a while allright,

528i and his zit-poping Bandwagon gang must have been grounded for the last few weeks for staying out past their bedtime! ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

528i wrote:
    Can you read ?, I was referring to the Volkswagen Golf Mk III from 1992 - 1997, so what you've quoted is irrelevant nonsense.

OKenora, I do not need to be subjected to alfa ownership in order to make an informed decision on them or their appalling reliability record, If you feel that strongly then go speak with magazine editors, road testers, recovery specialists, warranty providers and thousands of unfortunate owners who partook in customer satisfaction surveys, tell them THEY have got it wrong and that you and some other deluded fools on boards.ie have got it right.

They will do exactly as I do with alfa aficionados, laugh :)

So with the amount of 156's you see on the road here, why arent any of the "thousands of unfortunate owners" posting here to back up your point?

Advertisement