Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Radiators

Options
  • 08-08-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have just bought 2 new rads to replace 2 old ones.
    The new rads are slightly longer than the originals (20mm or so)
    I dont have the time (or expertise!) to install these myself so I want to "get a man in"
    any one recommend someone southside and also any idea of cost (before I start ringing randoms from the phone book)

cheer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just by chance, I just completed a radiator move last weekend. I moved and replaced a large 140cm rad with a 50cm unit. I had to cut into the concrete slab to lay the new pipes. Job was easy in terms of the piping, but a integrated vacuum pipe had to be cut-out and replaced to enable me to hook-up the piping.

But sure if you don't have the time...
    Anyhow, I hope somebody comes back with a contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

argh
    I got someone in to do this from a "big" firm.
    One of the rads seems ok but the other (1800x600 double!) is just into the plasterboard and naturally is as loose as bejaysus.
    What comeback do I have?
    They are "Members of the national guild of master craftsmen" if that gives me anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

GreeBo wrote:
    They are "Members of the national guild of master craftsmen" if that gives me anything.

That doesn't really mean anything to be honest.

That type of radiator should have had grounds installed ,timber screwed in between the frame.
    If that radiator is only hanging from plasterboard ,it will come down.

NOTE : Don't buy stuff yourself and expect a decent tradesman to come and install it ,it doesn't work like that .

_Brian_ wrote:

That type of radiator should have had grounds installed ,timber screwed in between the frame.
    grounds as in legs?
    Where are you saying the timber should be?
    I would have thought it should just be screwed to the block wall?
    _Brian_ wrote:
    NOTE : Don't buy stuff yourself and expect a decent tradesman to come and install it ,it doesn't work like that .
    I dont see how that makes a difference at all.
    A normal rad is a normal rad, surely any "decent" tradesman worth his salt can hang it properly!?

Greebo ,the grounds I mean are like so

• Advertisement

ahh ok now I get ya, like noggins but specifically for the rads...

Unfortunately the walls dont have batons, the are dabbed on.
    I think I will just take them off, glue/screw some batons to the brick wall and then screw the brackets to that.
    At worst its a helluva lot better than the current arrangement.

Before then I will wedge a few 2x4's underneath for some support.

cheers.

Greebo ,there is something you can think about ,before all that trouble.

There is really thick brass fixings from spax ,that screw straight into concrete.Without the need for plugs.
    They have a star shaped head inside them ,because they are so thick ,four of them would easily take the weight of a rad like yours , on a span of about 2 1/2 inches.

I think they are called frame anchors.

I'm so used to stuff like this that it second nature to use whatever i need to . But going on what you've said ,I wreckon frame anchors type fixings would be grand.

Don't worry anyways ,if your really stuck ,I'm from ireland.:D

_Brian_ wrote:
    Greebo ,there is something you can think about ,before all that trouble.

There is really thick brass fixings from spax ,that screw straight into concrete.Without the need for plugs.
    They have a star shaped head inside them ,because they are so thick ,four of them would easily take the weight of a rad like yours , on a span of about 2 1/2 inches.

I think they are called frame anchors.

I'm so used to stuff like this that it second nature to use whatever i need to . But going on what you've said ,I wreckon frame anchors type fixings would be grand.

Don't worry anyways ,if your really stuck ,I'm from ireland.:D
    ;)
    do you know where I could pick some of these up, or even a name for 'em?
    By span do you mean the gap between the block and the plasterboard?
    The old 4inch screws that were used on my other radiators have all started to bend...:(

Any fixings company should sell the frame anchors.
    http://www.mdonnelly.ie/products-page20091.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

GreeBo wrote:
    I dont see how that makes a difference at all.
    A normal rad is a normal rad, surely any "decent" tradesman worth his salt can hang it properly!?

For the hard of hearing , the issue here is that tradesmen can buy the stuff cheaper and make more on the project as the savings are NOT passed onto the customer.
    The other points are it increases their turnover where they buy and also allows them buy the cheapest they think they can get away with.

• Advertisement

ircoha wrote:
    For the hard of hearing , the issue here is that tradesmen can buy the stuff cheaper and make more on the project as the savings are NOT passed onto the customer.
    The other points are it increases their turnover where they buy and also allows them buy the cheapest they think they can get away with.

Thats probably a percentage of tradesmen to be honest ,any stuff we install is quality stuff and we have customers that date back 20 years that still ring us up ,looking for service and installations.

EDIT :
    Just to add ,from experience of dealing with people who have purchased goods themselves.
    40% of the goods are second hand (unsafe) ,30% of goods are obviously robbed ,20% of goods are not suitable for the purpose ,10% everything is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

ircoha wrote:

A petty opinion on a petty way of running a petty business but naieve.

Advertisement