Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking about new car. Dilema Dilema.

Options
  • 08-08-2007 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Lo all,

For a start, I've always been a Honda fanboy and i'm thinking of selling my Civic and getting a new one in a few months.
    There's a few cars i'd like to get but i'm kinda of stuck on what decision to make. Now the car will be bought as bog standard and done up from scratch.

I've always liked Mitsi's but don't really know enough about them on the terms of reliability, handeling and power or how far they can modded with a preinstalled Turbo and all that.

Anyway, I've always had my heart set on a Honda Prelude 99 model with a 2.2vtec engine yet i've been eyeing up an FTO GPX MIVEC 220 BHP.

I like Jap cars but i'm not really into Toyotas or executive armchairs with a turbo models like Lexus or anything but I like to think i'm open minded and suggestions are welcome.

I'll now open this to the floor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Before i sold my vti i was looking at Gsr lancers,4wd 1.8 turbo 200+ bhp sounded good,from doing research they dont have many available modded parts and there engines are not supposed to take well to boost increases,none the less i had a drive of one and there quick but seem to run out of steam fairly fast,kind of asmatic feeling car.

One of my friends had the lude type S and it just didnt seem like a quick car at all,there big and heavy and armchair feeling,kinda dont have the rawness of civics and integras to them.

Never driven an fto but have always heard people saying avoid the tiptronic version and look for the manual gpx,ive seen some at track days and they look like they can move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Preludes are ok, but you have to remember comparing to a teg or Civic they are a bit heavier and they've never made good Track cars because their handeling ain't as good. But I love em and i've always wanted one, same for the FTO. If I was going down the Teg path it would have to be the newer model which are quite pricey.

I can find out a fair bit about Preludes so it's not really the issue though. I know FA about Mitsi's apart from an EVO which is well out of my price range.

But thanks for the help eireal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

What about Nissans? U into them atall??? Subaru? Depends really on how far you want to go! If I ws to go wit ur choices Id probs take a Type R civic or the prelude!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Drive a few and see what you think, Got an FTO Mivec 2 weeks ago and am in love!

Dish, I have no objections to Nissans but I have no specific model in mind that I find powerful and sexy looking.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Drive a few and see what you think, Got an FTO Mivec 2 weeks ago and am in love!

What's the insurance like on them Colm? I'm 25 full lic (although 26 next month).

Edit. That is just sexy looking:: http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=723563&ID=1211159&NumPics=3&Make=Mitsubishi&Model=FTO%20Mivec&frmFilter=#

I always thought of them as a mini supra :)

• Advertisement

Just tried Britton Insurance. Their online sys wouldn't quote me... for the first time ever :eek:

Must be a high risk vehicle as i've gottena quote for €1400 on a 2.2vtec Prelude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

im not a great fan of mits, my bro has an fto n has had nothin but trouble wit it!!!
    also dont like the prelude (just a fussy girl) the new accord has a fab shape n great handlin n sum power in it!!
    d civics r a great car (when u but it n do it urself from scratch) `specially d type r`s!!
    just an opinion 4 ya :D

also dont like the prelude (just a fussy girl) the new accord has a fab shape n great handlin n sum power in it!!

Yeah them back seats are cramped alright ;)

Tbh fed up with the Civic, however the Accord is an option but it would have to be of the newish shape. I didn't like the last model at all.

Also just called a mate about the FTO he said I should stay clear of it because his friends have had problems getting parts direct from Mitsubishi.

Thanks for the advice so far kids. I'll come back to you :)

FTO: my bro bought a 96 one bout 5months ago n paid just under 6k for it now hes only gonna get bout 1500 for it!!! stay well clear of dem!!!!!
    d accord`s just have a really sexy look about them thou!!

did you make any decisions about a new car yet???:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭domonick

you want sexy and fast get yourself a supra

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

FTO: my bro bought a 96 one bout 5months ago n paid just under 6k for it now hes only gonna get bout 1500 for it!!! stay well clear of dem!!!!!
    d accord`s just have a really sexy look about them thou!!

What a load of rubbish!
    The only way it's worth 1500 is if he wrote it off. Where do you get this stuff?

If you're buying a 11 year old car, there are certain things you check. Your brother obviously bought a car without inspecting it. FTO's and Mitsubishis in general are renowned for reliability. You can't presume that becuse one partcular car has given trouble that all of them should be avoided. i know a good few people with FTO's and they give little or no trouble.

OP If you're going for an FTO, avoid the 1.8 (which is tax classed as 1.9) and if you're going V6 then choose a MIVEC model. which is 200bhp. anyone claiming 220bhp is probably being generous. There isn't as much aftermarket support for FTO's as there is for Type R Hondas. As for insurance, it's pretty much the same as an Integra Type R to insure, although in my opinion it' a much better looking and sounding car. The roar from the V6 as the MIVEC cuts in is a beautiful thing.

Any garages that specialize in Mitsi's? I get Honda parts for FA really and the labour I get done for cheap enough through Tuning Factory. I would want to go for the V6 MIVEC, I mean what's the point in owing an FTO if it isn't fast :)

What are they like for Mods? As in is there much you can do to them engine wise? No lies, it's going to between an uber fast FTO and a not so fast Prelude. I've decided to give the accord a miss becaus eI won't be able to afford the model I want.

I'm going to have a peruse around for a few FTO's this weekend. Anyone know any good importers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 5803emma

fto all the way! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The fto wont be as quick standard as a standard dc2 integra type r and it doesn't have the huge range of aftermarket parts either but it does have that v6 roar and there rarer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im selling a 00 torneo euro r 2.2 litre for 11000 in adverts.ie.

much cleaner than every other one on carzone and way cheaper.

i really need to get rid of it as i already bought myself another car, 2 litre accord sir-t

the euro r is bog standard apart from a jdm front bumper that came with the car (that needs to be repaired slightly)

the car has low mileage and is seriously clean to drive.

i couldnt afford the insurance on it when it was up so dropped down in size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Turbo conversions are possible. See Fto-ireland.com

The 6a12 is bulletproof. Stepper motors being the common fault.

The issue with Ftos is being an NA it takes a little work to get more power. But ITBs on a 6A12. MMMMMM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StFYXYMuZoE

The handling out of the box is not as sharp as the ITR and the ITR will be quicker in a straight line.

Tuning bits are available but are limited
    http://www.rb-performance.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/23
    http://www.rpw.com.au

Engine swaps are possible. Evo engines and gallant 6A13TT.
    http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/main.htm

It will never be as lego brick as Hondas B series.

But it depends on budget you may just be happy with a de-cat pipe and an air filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 5803emma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

the one on that bebo is a bit too much modified exterior-wise for my liking.. but when near enough standard and your own preference of alloy, can be a beautiful car. The sound of a mivec is like baethoven in my ears ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeh the front bumper in particular is a bit too max power to be stylish in that bebo gallery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

5803emma wrote: »
    Hmmm veilside bumper? Horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmm I remember i whanted fto, from the moment i sow it on grand turismo 1, (Psone) :D .

I hear alot of bad stuff about them, but all cars brake down, some more ofter, some more rarely, and if you whant to take home fto, you just need to check them carefully.

Btw, dont you think that fto is more of girls car, no offence. That would be something i would like to see mine misses in, not my own arse. Even if i like those cars.

What about s14?s15? or impreza? Cars are very tunable, prety much rock solid ( for a sports cars type ). thinking of one by myself, after 1 year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

that fto was very max powerish.. probably have half a tonne of speakers and amps in the back too.
    s15 imo are a fantastic looking car. very nice indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

layke wrote: »
    Lo all,

For a start, I've always been a Honda fanboy and i'm thinking of selling my Civic and getting a new one in a few months.
    There's a few cars i'd like to get but i'm kinda of stuck on what decision to make. Now the car will be bought as bog standard and done up from scratch.

I've always liked Mitsi's but don't really know enough about them on the terms of reliability, handeling and power or how far they can modded with a preinstalled Turbo and all that.

Anyway, I've always had my heart set on a Honda Prelude 99 model with a 2.2vtec engine yet i've been eyeing up an FTO GPX MIVEC 220 BHP.

I like Jap cars but i'm not really into Toyotas or executive armchairs with a turbo models like Lexus or anything but I like to think i'm open minded and suggestions are welcome.

I'll now open this to the floor.

first off.... dont believe these figures unless there is proof of it!! the GPX mivec came as standard with 200bhp!!

I would HIGHLY recommend the car! Mainly cause i have one! :D by far the best car ive ever owned! few things to consider though...... insurance can be tricky t get one them, parts are not that widely available (u can get most of them from camskill.co.uk though) alot of people dont wanna work on the cars cause they have little or no experience with them....

the noise off an FTO is the nicest mivec sound by far!!!! I have my car 2 yrs now and i still love to hear my engine in the high revs!

join FTO-ireland.com the lads and ladies on there know everything and are very helpful!!!

as for them bein a "girls car" thats bull!!!! majority of FTO's in the country have male owners!

@emma how has ur car got the pre-facelift spoiler when its a 98?????

heres some pics of mine!

010.jpg
    009.jpg
    101_0831.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This thread was started over a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Onkle wrote: »
    This thread was started over a year ago

LOL , makes sence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,963 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He's probably bought and wrote off three cars since this thread started. Plus his location says Australia so maybe he isn't even the country anymore. Farewell Layke wherever ya are

Advertisement