Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to internet - Are IBB fobbing me off!?

Options
  • 08-08-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭

Background: On Breeze in Glasnevin area, i think i'm connected to the Botanic site.

Sorry if this is in the wrong area? If so, please move. Thanks

Right i went home yesterday evening and went to go online to no avail. I was using my laptop so i tried my PC, again nothing. I then tried my girlfriends laptop and hey presto....nothing! I then noticed the ethernet light on their back box(i think this is the radio? I could be wrong though) wasn't lit. Note i wasn't using the router here. This was all trying the static IP in the TCP./IP coming straight from their "radio?"

I then rang them. He told me to change cat 5 cables and try again and nothing, he said try switching the ends and nothing. He told me to ping the IBB gateway and nothing got back. After about an hour he told me to go to start/run/cmd which i had been trying to ping from anyway and type "ipconfig". This gave me the IP address. He then told me to do "arp -a" This resulted in the Internet Address the same as the IP and Physical Address as 00-00-00-00-00-00 next to it under and type "invalid" on 1 laptop, i then tried this on the PC and got No ARP, then the other laptop and 00-00-00-00-00-00. He told me its my problem and fobbed off.

I uninstalled the network driver on the PC and reinstalled it from the original Drivers CD. Again no help. I then tried booting from my laptop's other partition (i have 2 boots cos i use the laptop for dj'n out on so it has never touched the net) I reluctantly put in the ip numbers and tried the "ipconfig" and all fine, i then tried the "arp -a" and i got my physical address (twas all numbers and letters). I tried connecting to the net and got nothing. I then tried "arp -a" again and it was then like the others!!

First question, what exactly is the "arp -a" finding? Is it my problem and why does it seem like it is being caused by IBB? Can/should they do anything? Its driving me mad, my girlfriend is off travelling the world and its our only point of contact so im eager to get it fixed soon!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

arp -a displays current entries in your arp table
    http://www.ss64.com/nt/arp.html

Sounds like you physical address (MAC address) is wrong. 00-00-00-00-00-00 is not a valid mac address
    what does ipconfig -all or is it ipconfig /all say under physical address?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'll have to run ipconfig again and see but i remember under "connection Specific DNS Suffix" it was giving me the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway that IBB supplied. Does ipconfig also give Physical Address ior is there an alternation of ipconfig i should run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

yea ipconfig /all should give you the mac address which windows calls the ohysical address I think.
    IBB normally gives out ips through a dhcp server, try setting you net connection to automatically obtain an ip

thanks a mil, i'll try that later and fill you in tomorow when i have net access again!! Anythign else i shoudl try or run or any other info that might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

nuada wrote:
    IBB normally gives out ips through a dhcp server, try setting you net connection to automatically obtain an ip
    Not on breeze they don't. You're assigned a fixed IP address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Bambaata wrote:
    I then noticed the ethernet light on their back box
    Did you try power cycling the radio? (Pull out the power lead for 30 secs. Plug it back in and let it boot up for 20 secs)

i rang them back and this time went straight to the point and the guy said he has come across this before so guys are coming out to me today. Says its a problem on the roof. Hopefulyl thats the case!! I'll go mad if i have no net byu the weekend, the girlfriend is away travelling so its our only link. The ipsonfig /all gives me all the details fine thats where i got really suspecious its not my problem. The MAC addy was fien there and thankfully i got a guy on the ophone that wanted to help unlike the other dude

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

The trouble with IBB is they can log into the radio on your roof remotely, so you ring them first thing they do is log into radio and check it's config, SNR, CRC's etc, if all are o.k they try to fob you off. IF your sure problem is theirs then unplug their little black box before you call, then they can't log into radio and will send out an engineer no probs.

Advertisement