Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden & Garden Shed

Options
  • 08-08-2007 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I want to get a garden shed but I'm not sure what prep work I need to do before it can be installed. Do I need to buy concrete blocks and if so where and how much are they?
    Also does the ground where the she will be have to be cleared of any grass?

The garden was seeded before I moved in but it is a disaster, it is ver patchy and the soil is rock hard, is it best to just kill it all off, dig it up and start again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I set off trying to find a website describing the process of preparing the ground online, and the first one I came across said the following:
    Step 1: First pour a concrete floor in a location that is flat and dry and offers good drainage.
    Step 2: Begin by nailing together the framework of the floor....

Great, hey?

This link is better - you need to look at the 'scalpings' reference in the top 1/3rd of the article...
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/shedbase.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

You can just put it on blocks as you suggest. If the ground is level you will only need 6 for an small shed, more if you need to level the ground.
    4 inch solids obtainable from any builders merchants, very cheap.
    You don't need to clear the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I paid €1 each for them earlier in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

Cougars wrote:
    I want to get a garden shed but I'm not sure what prep work I need to do before it can be installed. Do I need to buy concrete blocks and if so where and how much are they?
    Also does the ground where the she will be have to be cleared of any grass?

Concrete blocks are ok for a shed up to roughly 8' x 8'. See attached photos of my shed (8x8) to see how I levelled the ground and arranged the blocks. The shed supplier advised on block layout. I levelled the area with a spade but had to 'fine tune' each block. A long spirit level is handy for this. Even though it doesn't look like much earth was removed, the process was nightmarish given the amount of rain that fell in July when I did this.
    Cougars wrote:
    The garden was seeded before I moved in but it is a disaster, it is ver patchy and the soil is rock hard, is it best to just kill it all off, dig it up and start again?

My garden has the same problem but at first I might try re-seeding. If that doesn't work, and I suspect it won't, then I'll hire a rotavator and start from scratch.

DSC00253.JPG

DSC00286.JPG

Advertisement