Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless card won't stop scanning for networks...

• 08-08-2007 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought and configured this product from Peats. Everything went smoothly and I had no real problems, I can get hardwired internet connection easily and the card picks up my wireless network.

The router is the Netgear Wireless N Rangemax.
    The card is a Netgear WN511B cardbus.

Now, the problem is that my wireless connection lasts less than 20 seconds. The card detects my network, I tell it to connect, hit the "Apply" button (whereupon a box appears on screen saying "Validate setting") and I'm online for about 5 seconds before the card begins scanning for networks again and dumps me out of my connection.

I'm using WPA2-PSK password protected security and enter my password when prompted to connect tot he network.

So, I have a couple of questions.
    1) Is this problem caused by the scanning for networks? If so how do I stop it scanning once I've connected or how do I stop it dumping me off my network as it scans?

2) Is this problem caused by this strange "Validate Setting" box that flashes when I press "Apply" to my settings? How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Have you tried connecting using a different channel?
    When it is scanning for networks, does it detect others?

Also try connecting with the encryption turned off.

If you can connect without encryption try a basic password/key, and test it, then if all ok something more secure.

Are you using the Netgear client or one built into windows.

Make sure the pc is only using one.

Download the latest drivers for your Netgear Card from their website. I had a similar problem once and a driver update fixed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

I'd say the first step is to try connecting with no wep or wpa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks ST - replies below...
    Have you tried connecting using a different channel? huh?
    When it is scanning for networks, does it detect others? Yes.

Also try connecting with the encryption turned off. I'll try that later

If you can connect without encryption try a basic password/key, and test it, then if all ok something more secure.Ok

Are you using the Netgear client or one built into windows.I used the Netgear one

Make sure the pc is only using one. How do I do that, it gave me an option and I chose Netgear, there is no other windows wireless signal icon in the taskbar, does this mean I'm only using the Netgear one?

Download the latest drivers for your Netgear Card from their website. I had a similar problem once and a driver update fixed it. I did that during the install, I've all the latest drivers.

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

In your Router you should have the option to define the wireless channel it uses. Like TV and Radio, your router can transmit and receive on a number of channels.

If your neighbours are also using the same channel, it can cause interference.

You should see the channels being used by other networks when you scan.

Pick a channel as far a way from others as possible. There's 11 channels.

See this for an explanation:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifihomenetworking/qt/wifichannel.htm

I'm using Win2k. but I think WinXP has a wireless client built in. Although it may not be installed.

Ah, I'll check the channels of the other available networks! Thanks ST, I'll let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Netstumbler is a handy little free program that shows what other networks and channels are around - http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

The 'validation process' is fairly standard for netgear.

There is a standard 'tip' on the netgear forums about disabling the zero wireless configuration:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=1130

Some people there seem to be having problems with the card - might be worth posting there or try emailing the Netgear support on the main site I have found them helpful and speedy in the past.

Thanks folks, problem sorted :)

I changed channels, no joy.
    Messed around with security settings, no joy

Unistalled and reinstalled software - Hurrah! Works perfectly :)

So I've stopped broadcasting my SSID, added MAC filtering and am using WPA2-PSK encryption, what else should I do security-wise?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

r3nu4l wrote:

So I've stopped broadcasting my SSID, added MAC filtering and am using WPA2-PSK encryption, what else should I do security-wise?

Stop worrying about it now and start browsing etc and enjoying yourself:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

r3nu4l wrote:

There's not much else you can do apart from changing the wpa password frequently

Advertisement