Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Sole Trader in UK

Options
  • 08-08-2007 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Ok here's a tricky one (well for me anyway). I am starting up a business on the side of my regular 9-5 job and am going to go down the sole trader road. I still haven't looked into doing this but I'm sure there's 100 threads here so I won't ask the same questions again...

The nature is importing goods from India for sale here. I know that as India is considered a developing country, all I have to do is pay VAT on import.

The issue is I potentially have my first customer and they're in the UK. So As the goods come on a container that goes via the UK, if I get the customer to receive it there, how do I go about paying the VAT, to the UK government?

It's hard to find any info on an Irish sole trader operaing in the UK, any links or advice would be appreciated.

- S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

As far as I know, you don't pay VAT to the UK gov, you pay it here because you're operating from here

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Even if the good never reach Irish shores? Just worrying about what the UK gov will have to say about that...

And then I charge VAT at the UK rate to the customer then?
    Cheers!

Advertisement