Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep an eye on your swans Ireland...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

pvt. joker wrote:
    people that take the internet seriously bore me in general

Who are these people?
    Can I generalize that your a typical american with a short attention span?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

pvt. joker wrote:
    people that take the internet seriously bore me in general

Why shouldn't the internet be taken seriously?

Its not a fantasy world anymore. Its full of real people, not just idlers and geeks. Business is conducted, relationships are formed, communication and education are heavily reliant upon it. Therefore an atmosphere of xenophobia/racism on the internet should be taken as seriously as it should be in the workplace, home, pub or wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

eo980 wrote:
    Who are these people?
    Can I generalize that your a typical american with a short attention span?

i'm guessing that either you or your SO is an eastern european and you feel it's your sworn duty to defend the honor all of the 500 million of them against internet myths

cornbb wrote:
    Why shouldn't the internet be taken seriously?

Its not a fantasy world anymore. Its full of real people, not just idlers and geeks. Business is conducted, relationships are formed, communication and education are heavily reliant upon it. Therefore an atmosphere of xenophobia/racism on the internet should be taken as seriously as it should be in the workplace, home, pub or wherever.

I can't disagree more about taking it seriously. People say things on the internet that they would NEVER say in real life. People act differently on the internet. People react differently. The anonymity of it should preclude anyone taking anything they read with more than a grain of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

^
    lads, in fairness, it depends where in 'teh interweb' you are.
    Just like the real world.

I wonder where the mods will move this one?

pvt. joker wrote:
    i'm guessing that either you or your SO is an eastern european and you feel it's your sworn duty to defend the honor of all 500 million of them against internet myths

My SO is indeed Eastern European, but I am simply sick of the endless threads that appear on this subject that are not based in reality. It's far from my sworn duty but I do come here to boards almost everyday and I could well do without having to read through this crap.

eo980 wrote:
    My SO is indeed Eastern European, but I am simply sick of the endless threads that appear on this subject that are not based in reality. It's far from my sworn duty but I do come here to boards almost everyday and I could well do without having to read through this crap.

it's really VERY easy to not click a thread

whiskeyman wrote:
    ^
    lads, in fairness, it depends where in 'teh interweb' you are.
    Just like the real world.

I wonder where the mods will move this one?

partly. i mean boards.ie isn't exactly the first place i would turn to for serious discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

eo980 wrote:
    As cornbb said above, it's a myth. They've been here years and it's never mentioned as being a problem here. Does anyone have any hard evidence for it here in Ireland?

LOL this is like a flashback to the Polish Begger thread. Just because you never met one killing swans, doesn't mean they aren't doing it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53713589&postcount=22

pvt. joker wrote:
    it's really VERY easy to not click a thread

And it's really really easy to click on it and read it.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote:
    LOL this is like a flashback to the Polish Begger thread. Just because you never met one killing swans, doesn't mean they aren't doing it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53713589&postcount=22

I said I wanted to see some hard evidence, otherwise it's just conjecture and someone's opinion. Read up above boyo, I've opened it up to pvt. joker to provide concrete proof that this is happening here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Swan meat tastes akin to pheasant. A taboo upon eating it exists in the British Isles because being so tasty it became the sole perogative of the monarch of England to eat it.
    cornbb wrote:
    Popular variations include "Eastern Europeans Eating our Donkeys!" :eek:
    A bit like beef but much healthier (lower in fat). Not as nice as horse.

eo980 wrote:
    I said I wanted to see some hard evidence, otherwise it's just conjecture and someone's opinion. Read up above boyo, I've opened it up to pvt. joker to provide concrete proof that this is happening here.
    I never said it was happening in Ireland, for about the 3rd or 4th time. I'm sure youtube has some videos of crazy eastern europeans wringing swan necks though

Off topic T- but I've been wondering why you can/could only post unregged in PI and what's the story with you looking like a regular poster?

pvt. joker wrote:
    I never said it was happening in Ireland, for about the 3rd or 4th time. I'm sure youtube has some videos of crazy eastern europeans wringing swan necks though

You posted it on an Irish forum, in a section that has seen numerous anti-eastern european threads and you didn't state clearly that you were talking about england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

eo980 wrote:
    You posted it on an Irish forum, in a section that has seen numerous anti-eastern european threads and you didn't state clearly that you were talking about england.

killing and/or eating swans in England is treason which, I believe, still carries the death penalty (but that may only be during time of war).

All Swans inEngland are considered property of the Queen.

Just thought I'd say like.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

NewsFlash - Polish plumber found with four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.

eo980 wrote:

maybe you should have perhaps read the thread title or the article posted in the link or even better...BOTH

pvt. joker wrote:
    maybe you should have perhaps read the thread title or the article posted in the link or even beter...BOTH

Oh I read it alright..... Keep An Eye On YOUR Swans IRELAND........ what's that implying do you think? Hmmmnn????

• Advertisement

eo980 wrote:
    Oh I read it alright..... Keep An Eye On YOUR Swans IRELAND........ what's that implying do you think? Hmmmnn????

Do you ever read things or do you just reply to whatever you think is implied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

eo980 wrote:

Just deport the swans and be done with this thread. Key-rist. (Exclamation underscore capslock.)

pvt. joker wrote:
    Do you ever read things or do you just reply to whatever you think is implied?

I do of course but it's become clear that you don't as I've stated here more than once that I have read it through. And what were you thinking, or were ou thinking at all?. Your title clearly implies we should be watching our swans due to the amount of EE's here.

Anywhoo-this appears to be going nowhere fast, so are we done?

NewsFlash - Clue to mysterious disappearance of Child of Lir, ransom note written in Polish just recieved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

pvt. joker wrote:
    As for chinese food, i personally witnessed skinned cats being sold in chinatown in philadelphia and also a deer being drug into the backdoor of a chinese restaraunt. Hence the reason i haven't eaten it in about 15 years

The Chinese have been giving drugs to dear? Now that's a story the Daily Mail would pay big for.
    pvt. joker wrote:
    and in the US at the turn of last century. Everyone forgets about the "irish need not apply" signs

Maybe everyone in America has but most Irish are very much aware of the discrimination they faced when they emigrated to places like the US and UK.

Attached is my LOLSWAN attempt (that's Former Polish President Lech Walesa, apparently)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

A few months back some guy from Dublin killed a swan and cooked it up for his dinner here in Galway, he made the excuse that it was already dead when he found it. He was camping down in Claddagh where there are hundreds of swans, someome walking by saw him plucking it and they called the guards, he was tucking into he breast when they arrived.
    It was reported in the local papers but i'm too lazy to go searching for it :)

• Advertisement

eo980 wrote:
    I do of course but it's become clear that you don't as I've stated here more than once that I have read it through. And what were you thinking, or were ou thinking at all?. Your title clearly implies we should be watching our swans due to the amount of EE's here.

Anywhoo-this appears to be going nowhere fast, so are we done?

this is an irish forum. I made a title that would pertain to the majority of the readers. MOST readers would then progress to the article

pvt. joker wrote:
    this is an irish forum. I made a title that would pertain to the majority of the readers. MOST readers would then progress to the article

Spot on, it's an Irish forum alright. How does it pertain to the majority of irish readers? How? Most people would read the article as I did and still take away from it that you're implying that it could/would happen here.

Hagar, you're attempts to lighten the tone of the situation are admirable.

Man I'm stuffed.

Here's my lolswan attempt.

NewsFlash - Ugly duckling screwed by Polish paedoswan.

*I'm doing me best with limited material, not great but it beats arguing.

Nice one flogen!

Might as well get it going :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

AFAIR Swans are protected in the UK (some royal rule or something), so poaching Swan gets you jail time.

Also where I lived in England we had lots of Swans on the river and were told to stay away from them. Not because they were protected, but because they could (and had) kicked the living crap out of people. Quite funny to watch.

We also had a lot of poachers local as well, although I don't ever recall anyone taking swans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

flogen wrote:
    Maybe everyone in America has but most Irish are very much aware of the discrimination they faced when they emigrated to places like the US and UK.

Indeed but now thanks to the abundance of cheap labour from the eastern blok and gombeen employers we no longer have to travel to foreign climes to be discriminated against!! Aint progress grand!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes the game and fisheries wardens have had a few run in with non nationals who have been removing large quanties of fish stock and wildlife from parks and other places about the country.

Apprently in this country we leave all that uncooked food just flying, paddling and swiming about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

Morlar wrote:
    Just deport the swans and be done with this thread. Key-rist. (Exclamation underscore capslock.)

Now if only we could do that to the Eastern Europeans we wouldnt even have these threads;) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hobbes wrote:
    AFAIR Swans are protected in the UK (some royal rule or something), so poaching Swan gets you jail time.

Also where I lived in England we had lots of Swans on the river and were told to stay away from them. Not because they were protected, but because they could (and had) kicked the living crap out of people. Quite funny to watch.

We also had a lot of poachers local as well, although I don't ever recall anyone taking swans.
    They are indeed dangerous.
    I was once chased by a mother swan who was protecting her ugly ducklings.
    That was the last time I took the short cut to work.

Terry wrote:

CLICKY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

We never had threads bashing Eastern Europeans untill those damned Eastern Europeans came along! They're the cause of all our troubles! :mad:

:D

flogen wrote:

If you mention that in the late 1800's and early 1900's that the irish were treated the same if not more poorly than blacks you will be in for an argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lenina

OMG. I think I am missing something. Are there actually people in this country who believe this nosense? If so, I am losing all respect for this nation. Or is it a joke I didn`t get?

eo980 wrote:
    Spot on, it's an Irish forum alright. How does it pertain to the majority of irish readers? How? Most people would read the article as I did and still take away from it that you're implying that it could/would happen here.

Hagar, you're attempts to lighten the tone of the situation are admirable.

so the only links posted in AH on the boards are soley related to ireland? Something tells me that you eat swan on a weekly basis and it's getting to your brain.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote:

Canadian geese here are the same way. Dangerous mofos

pvt. joker wrote:
    If you mention that in the late 1800's and early 1900's that the irish were treated the same if not more poorly than blacks you will be in for an argument

What about these ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Jazusus will you give the lad a break, its only a silly(but funny) post about swans. Are you all saying definetly 100% there were no swans eatten or harmed ? Lets go ask the swans I think.

Hagar wrote:
    What about these ? ;)

let's just say that if i found myself hungry and in australia i would be eating koala-kabobs

pvt. joker wrote:
    Canadian geese here are the same way. Dangerous mofos
    Fúckin' 'mericans.
    Blaming the Canadians now.
    Bleedin' typical.

Hagar, that page won't load for me in IE or FF.
    What is it? I want to see.

Now for the serious bit:
    Pvt. Joker wrote:
    Explain please.

Terry wrote:
    Hagar, that page won't load for me in IE or FF.
    What is it? I want to see.

Copy the link into the browser. It's a black swan (which you'd never have guessed from the name!). They mustn't like hot-linking.

Nice one.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

eo980 wrote:
    Unfortunately in After Hours personal experiances just don't cut it. People wants hard facts, proof that these things have happened. Anyone can have had any sort of a personal experiance to back up their claims.

Actuall its a small minority, usually people who know something is true but know there isnt the CSO survey to prove it, and so can accuse folks of lies (the best laugh is usually when an elusive survey proving genralisations as true is finally tracked down). Most people will at least listen to anything plausible if the poster appears genuine in their remarks.

But as said, I wouldnt be of the belief that this is a widespread problem, but at the same time wouldnt doubt it hasnt happened once or twice (of the innumerable amount of Poles Ive known I only have a mental image of one, a mentally unstable gypsy, chasing swans around the canal with a meat cleaver. I feel the rest would go to the butchers for agricultural meat). I wouldnt say its a widespread, problem, but to suggest outright that not one lunatic Pole with the same mental makeup as Tom from Father Ted hasnt enteed the country and possibly done this is laughable. Likewise I wouldnt doubt some drug addled Irshman hsnt ever chased after a swan with a knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Beezer19

Does anyone know if the Black ones taste any different to the White ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Rumor has it that foreginers have also been known to sexually abuse cygnets and that as it is not the catholic church doing the abuse all decent daily mail reading citizens are unaware of this..........Someone!......Please think of the cygnets!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement