Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep an eye on your swans Ireland...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Talliesin wrote:
    A taboo upon eating it exists in the British Isles because being so tasty it became the sole perogative of the monarch of England to eat it.

Is it really now?

*calls pub, suggets swan cuisine night with music by the Wolfe Tones to really stick it to the crown*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Bambi wrote:
    Indeed but now thanks to the abundance of cheap labour from the eastern blok and gombeen employers we no longer have to travel to foreign climes to be discriminated against!! Aint progress grand!!

Ignoring the fact that eastern european workers are, on average, better educated than Irish workers allow me to sum up your point through youtube:

pvt. joker wrote:
    If you mention that in the late 1800's and early 1900's that the irish were treated the same if not more poorly than blacks you will be in for an argument

And that proves that people don't know about the Irish being discriminated against how? Last time I checked it wasn't a competition...

OK.....now....Im annoyed.....

Jesus H Christ, how many viewers cant see that the southpark episode was about two things

a-The US governments neglect and exploitation of its southern neighbours is a major cause of upwad immigration

b- PEOPLE GETTING THROWN OUT OF THEIR JOBS FOR CHEAP LABOUR.

Just so you see it. I had to break my balls in college two years ago to eventually get work, minimum wage and all. God knows what its becom like now. From te posts on Work/Jobs it appears to have gottn worse. And then the whole Irish Ferries affair. Dont blame the workers, sure us Irish were more than happy to take advantage of the UK social welfare systems failings (from what Ive been told half of Donegal and Louth was claiming UK dole throughut the 80s and 90s on the sly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Flogen, are you the "aging hippy liberal douche"?

Dey dur dur dur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think it is great the country we live in we can talk sh!t about anyone as long as there is no CSO Statistic about it. Isn't Ireland great.

• Advertisement

Tha Gopher wrote:
    OK.....now....Im annoyed.....

Jesus H Christ, how many viewers cant see that the southpark episode was about two things

a-The US governments neglect and exploitation of its southern neighbours is a major cause of upwad immigration

b- PEOPLE GETTING THROWN OUT OF THEIR JOBS FOR CHEAP LABOUR.

Actually the sole point I took from the episode was that the "goobacks" couldn't be blamed for providing cheap labour as they just wanted to make a living but the companies couldn't be blamed for hiring cheap labour because they were out to maximise profit and the immigrants worked harder for less money.

The point of the episode wasn't to highlight the fact that people lose jobs to cheap labour, that's a given in the US, but to highlight the fact that the solution wasn't to try and block or criminalise the flow but to remove the reason for it in the first place.

I used the clip because bambi's comments were about as ignorant as those in the cartoon who said "dey tuk arr jawbs!", blaming cheap labour for doing what cheap labour does.

Many EE workers come here and take jobs the Irish wouldn't - specifically those that pay poorly. Many others who take high-end jobs aren't taking a job from an Irish person, they're taking a job that no employee existed for before (you know the way the Gov. are always looking for educated workers to take up Visas in Ireland and have regular campaigns in certain countries?).

(by the way, as Ireland has a minimum wage it's hard for cheap labour to exist to the same extent as in the USA - unless it's on the black market which is another matter altogether).

But all of this is off topic - back to the SwansLOL.

Hobbes wrote:
    I think it is great the country we live in we can talk sh!t about anyone as long as there is no CSO Statistic about it. Isn't Ireland great.

Are you still sore that after all the dirty dirty lies and oh so made up stories about a particular group some time ago on boards, government figures were found by one or two posters that actually showed the generalisations on crime and unemployment were largely correct?

Ah bless.:rolleyes:

Flogen- I thought the point of the episode was partly to highlight how people are liberal and PC until the very policy that they are supporting comes back to bite them on the arse (as Stans dad was doing until he was made redundant).

Anyway, back to the swan meat.....

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Flogen- I thought the point of the episode was partly to highlight how people are liberal and PC until the very policy that they are supporting comes back to bite them on the arse (as Stans dad was doing until he was made redundant).

Well I think it was attacking both sides, to be honest.

It was basically saying that building a Berlin wall along the border (as the extreme right want to do) won't stop people who are desperate enough to get across nor is it a humane way to treat people who are victims of circumstance. In the same breath opening the doors and leaving it at that would only lead to the problem of black market/cheap labour increasing and wouldn't really solve anything either - in the end both are short-sighted measures that have little effect because they're not based in reality.

Anyway - swans, delicious swans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

pvt. joker wrote:
    so the only links posted in AH on the boards are soley related to ireland? Something tells me that you eat swan on a weekly basis and it's getting to your brain.

You know that's not the case and that's certainly not what I'm saying. What you posted could be construed as deliberately trying to provoke a reaction because of what was implied and where it was posted.
    After all the threads that painted EE's in a negative light you came along with another thread that seemed to insinuate that they are savage's. You claim it was for 'humour', there's a humour sub-section on boards. You never alluded to it being funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

flogen wrote:
    Ignoring the fact that eastern european workers are, on average, better educated than Irish workers allow me to sum up your point through youtube:

And that proves that people don't know about the Irish being discriminated against how? Last time I checked it wasn't a competition...

Most of the eastern yooropeans i work with have sub primary level written english. Actually the job send em off on business english courses,

Ah Hobbes.... Hobbes,Hobbes,Hobbes. Always with the CSO. I just rely on stuff like some pr**k in a wicklow pub telling me that you'd "want to be mad to employ irish people these days" rather than the CSO. I dont need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows, as a little jewish fella once. And right now there's a chill easterly coming in from europe bringing with it heavy downpours of cheap labour and possible pay freezes overnight. Also a big shout out dere to little dragana out there out in Blanchardstown on her fourth birthday, dere's a picture of her now she's only lovely. Back to de news folks :p

dey cooked ar goose!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

eo980 wrote:
    Off topic T- but I've been wondering why you can/could only post unregged in PI and what's the story with you looking like a regular poster?
    I am now a regular poster. I retired from modding because my boards usage was too sporadic to do the job and I was hence a mod in name only. Ironically this led to my account being accidentally b0rked when said sporadic usage was such that I was on boards rather than during one of the periods when I wouldn't have actually noticed.
    killing and/or eating swans in England is treason which, I believe, still carries the death penalty (but that may only be during time of war).
    It is treason in the UK (except in Orkney), but rarely tried as such though. (There are two companies with a right to own swans, but they don't eat them). People have been tried recently on the basis that they are endangered in England.

Some fish also belong to the Crown. If you catch one you have to surrender it, after which it is normally auctioned by the Crown and the proceeds donated to charity.

No crime in England carries the death penalty during peacetime - there are a few laws on the books which have the penalty, but the penalty in each case is overruled by laws and treaties forbidding its use in any non-military case.

Can't say I've seen many East Europeans hunting them. I have seen stupid buggers of Irish extraction teasing them, because many people these days don't seem to have a clue as to which animals are likely to do you a serious injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Bambi wrote:
    Most of the eastern yooropeans i work with have sub primary level written english. Actually the job send em off on business english courses,

Ah Hobbes.... Hobbes,Hobbes,Hobbes. Always with the CSO. I just rely on stuff like some pr**k in a wicklow pub telling me that you'd "want to be mad to employ irish people these days" rather than the CSO. I dont need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows, as a little jewish fella once. And right now there's a chill easterly coming in from europe bringing with it heavy downpours of cheap labour and possible pay freezes overnight. Also a big shout out dere to little dragana out there out in Blanchardstown on her fourth birthday, dere's a picture of her now she's only lovely. Back to de news folks :p

dey cooked ar goose!!

:)

Talliesin wrote:
    I am now a regular poster. I retired from modding because my boards usage was too sporadic to do the job and I was hence a mod in name only. Ironically this led to my account being accidentally b0rked when said sporadic usage was such that I was on boards rather than during one of the periods when I wouldn't have actually noticed.

Ah fair enough. OK it was your decision, but it's a pity to loose you, always thought you were quite a good mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

Terry wrote:

Explain please.

No one here cares to remember. I had family come here from ireland and Italy at the turn of last century and they were treated like garbage except in their own communities.

These days if you even bring up that fact though, you're asking for an argument. The truth is that these days you basically can't mention anything about black people, their past or say that anyone had it as bad or worse than them. Slavery is an issue, but last time i checked less than 50% of "african americans" in the country today are decended from slavery. If you google image "irish racism" you will see pictures of signs from that era saying "no blacks, irish, italians" and "blacks and irish need not apply"

These feelings stemmed from the overwhelming catholocism of the irish invading the mainly protestant US at the time and the fear that the Irish would take over and convert the US in a papal state

eo980 wrote:
    You know that's not the case and that's certainly not what I'm saying. What you posted could be construed as deliberately trying to provoke a reaction because of what was implied and where it was posted.
    After all the threads that painted EE's in a negative light you came along with another thread that seemed to insinuate that they are savage's. You claim it was for 'humour', there's a humour sub-section on boards. You never alluded to it being funny.

you're assuming i ...

a) knew that EEs were being mocked on a daily basis on the boards

and

b) posted it to get a negative reaction

Meanwhile the correct answer is...

c) I personally thought it was hilarious to read about immigrants stealing and eating swans from public waterways in the UK

Well you have been harping on about it being AFTER HOURS. How have you missed all the numerous threads on Eastern Europeans? Yes taking everything into account it was obvious that it would get a negative reation. If that wasn't your intention you really should have been more careful about where you posted it and how you worded it.
    A little bit of sensitive posting would have gone a long way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

eo980 wrote:
    Well you have been harping on about it being AFTER HOURS. How have you missed all the numerous threads on Eastern Europeans? Yes taking everything into account it was obvious that it would get a negative reation. If that wasn't your intention you really should have been more careful about where you posted it and how you worded it.
    A little bit of sensitive posting would have gone a long way!

This is not ttd you know poker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Jaysus lads fair play to ya ! You certainly know how to keep an argument going ! Your other halves must feel abandoned ;)

I tried to wrap it up several pages ago!

eo980 wrote:
    I tried to wrap it up several pages ago!

I had noticed and I thought the swan pics might have lightened the direction, but you just kept getting pulled back in ! But still it was entertaining to watch, I just don't have the stamina myself, *sigh* not like when I was a nipper.....:)

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads fair play to ya ! You certainly know how to keep an argument going ! Your other halves must feel abandoned ;)

in work with nothing to do + asshollery = pages of witty banter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

I saw a group of Polish kicking a swan in Bray Harbour a year ago :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Talliesin wrote:
    No crime in England carries the death penalty during peacetime - there are a few laws on the books which have the penalty, but the penalty in each case is overruled by laws and treaties forbidding its use in any non-military case.

indeed. Membership of the EU prevents it for starters. Also the fact that the only permissable form of capital punishment is hanging and Britain no longer has an authorised hangman (or even a set of gallows) makes it a bit difficult as well.:rolleyes:

Still, I say hang the swan eating furriners........:D

Ding ! Ding ! Round two ! :)

pvt. joker wrote:
    witty banter

WTF:rolleyes:

Ding ! Ding ! Round two ! :)

Need more swan pics though.

Really? I saw Willy Wonka just last week and he was doing cartwheels down Henry Street while licking a lollipop at the same time. It was a great sight and it's true you know, because I've said so.

Incidentally- how do you know they were Polish, and why didn't you intervene?

eo980 wrote:
    Incidentally- how do you know they were Polish, and why didn't you intervene?

The swans were actually the children of lir and they told him they could take those polish fcukers.

Myth wrote:
    Need more swan pics though.

Shock ! Horror ! Polish swan eats itself :eek:

swan02.jpg

Hows this ? ;)

• Advertisement

Shock ! Horror ! Polish swan eats itself :eek:

swan02.jpg

Hows this ? ;)
    Every mans greatest wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

A few months back some guy from Dublin killed a swan and cooked it up for his dinner here in Galway, he made the excuse that it was already dead when he found it. He was camping down in Claddagh where there are hundreds of swans, someome walking by saw him plucking it and they called the guards, he was tucking into he breast when they arrived.
    It was reported in the local papers but i'm too lazy to go searching for it :)

yesh and local paper originally claimed he was polish, and got a quote from the local widlife group as some sort of official confirmation. althought the wildlife guy
    didn't realise he'd be taking part in immigration bashing article.

strangely familiar

togster wrote:
    WTF:rolleyes:

problem with the reading of english also?

pvt.joker- the issue of generalisations was brought up earlier. Id like to reassure the people of the US that despite the highly strung nature of this thread Im not sure Ive ever met any real Irish people who would get so uppity about a tale about feckin swan butchering, so dont take it as representative of the rest of us :)

As said, there is no evidence to suggest its a widespread practice. To essentially state that no Pole has ever done this is unsubstantiated bollix, as it would be for me to state no Irish man has ever done it, as I can think of quite a few mentally unstable people who after a few pints would gladly take a shovel to a swans head, and cook it if they werent too drunk to gut the yoke and turn on the cooker. Its like the guy denying any Poles had been door to door begging- does he have some type of Minority Report-cum-Truman Show monitoring of the Poles that proves this? I dont believe its very widespread, it doesnt mean it hasnt happened (while Ive never had a beggar Ive had people of probably Polish appearance at the door with the placard about their economic situation asking to buy art off them. At least theyre selling something rather than coming with their hand out so Ive no problem)

Accusations are great eh? You can say what you want but you don't have to prove a thing, because it's an accusation.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    pvt.joker- the issue of generalisations was brought up earlier. Id like to reassure the people of the US that despite the highly strung nature of this thread Im not sure Ive ever met any real Irish people who would get so uppity about a tale about feckin swan butchering, so dont take it as representative of the rest of us :)

That's the nature of the internet. Monitor warriors ready to wage WWIII over a funny story about murdered waterfowl :D

With that being said, if i had enough beers i can't say i wouldn't murder and cook a swan for dinner on a dare. Probably tastes like gamey turkey

• Advertisement

eo980 wrote:
    Accusations are great eh? You can say what you want but you don't have to prove a thing, because it's an accusation.

i feel bad for people with no sense of humor.

in other news i'm surprised you're not whoring up the "sheep stabbed with a screwdriver" thread by now

same topic, different forum, totally different reaction. Funny how some people can find humor in things and others get their panties in a twist

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=508690

eo980 wrote:

It has not been proven that this is widespread, and indeed it probably isnt. It cannot be stated as fact outright that it has never happened on one or more occasions. That is the point Im making. Alot like nobody can neither prove or disprove with any level of certainty whether those monks from down south reached America before Columbus (only example/comparison I could think of :) )

Tha Gopher wrote:
    1- It has not been proven that this is widespread, and indeed it probably isnt. 2- It cannot be stated as fact outright that it has never happened on one or more occasions. That is the point Im making. Alot like nobody can neither prove or disprove with any level of certainty whether those monks from down south reached America before Columbus (only example/comparison I could think of :) )

1- And it's not been proved that it's happened at all. Accusations are dangerous unless there is evidence to back them up.
    2- Essentially you saying that it's OK to start all sorts of rumours and accusations because it can't be proven whether it is or isn't true. That's a shocking state of affairs. Whatever happened to sticking with absolute facts when reporting information?

None of which means it has or has not ever happened. Are these people putting up signs for fun? The fact is that of somewhere not far off 1 million East Europeans in the two islands it is quite possible that a small amount have been seen doing this. Of the many Poles Ive knownj I can only visualise one (a mad gypsy guy I worked with) chasing a swan down and eating it for dinner. It is also possible that in the same time several hundred drunken Irish and English people have attacked swans. Is that so hard to comprehend/believe?

Is isnt right to start rumours about something that never happened, but if a few people have seen this and recounted the story, its more a case of a mountain being made out of a molehill in terms of the scale of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Its after hours, who gives a fúck if its true or not, all that really matters is that we are the shoulders of atlas, and the day that there is neither a thread about skangers or easterners on the front page the sky will fall!

Now what about the sexual abuse of the countrys young fowl by rapacious eastern skangers!?! Need I start a thread?

pvt. joker wrote:
    problem with the reading of english also?

I can read english. But i find it hard to understand rubbish. Im going to start a thread about stupid fat americans....

eo980 wrote:
    2- Essentially you saying that it's OK to start all sorts of rumours and accusations because it can't be proven whether it is or isn't true. That's a shocking state of affairs. Whatever happened to sticking with absolute facts when reporting information?

*Try that attitude in any religious forum and see how far you get ;)

*This statment should only be ingested with salt

togster wrote:
    I can read english. But i find it hard to understand rubbish. Im going to start a thread about stupid fat americans....

you might want to buy some douche to get the sand out of your vagina

pvt. joker wrote:
    you might want to buy some douche to get the sand out of your vagina

American humour.... Jeez my sides are splittin. Funny guy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

togster wrote:
    American humour.... Jeez my sides are splittin. Funny guy :rolleyes:

Southpark belongs to all of us kyle.

Togster, Pvt. Joker, Take it to the thunderdome.

He doesn't know where it is. I have been there waiting.

Rightyo---- we're obviously done here. Shall we all agree to drop it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

got to the 6th page of replys, and thought 'this is going no-where', but
    has anyone pointed out that the only reason its illegal to eat swans in the UK is because they belong to the queen, by law. (or something)

800 years, eat all the swans, blah blah blah

hee hee, just seen the last post
    Rightyo---- we're obviously done here. Shall we all agree to drop it?
    lets get this thing going again!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement