Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep an eye on your swans Ireland...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

togster wrote:
    American humour.... Jeez my sides are splittin. Funny guy :rolleyes:

why not just add the rolleyes smilie to every post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Last warning for both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

eo980 wrote:
    Rightyo---- we're obviously done here. Shall we all agree to drop it?

Is that a roundabout way of accepting there may be a small handful of lunatics among our large Polish population who have partaken in this activity?

Frankly if i were a Pole reading this Id be embarrased/amused at the reaction to the OP. In much the same way I wouldnt know where to look if I was reading an English message board where an OP complaining about Irish beggars and junkies was told he was talking out of his arse, because as everyone knows every paddy who ever crossed the Irish Sea worked 6am to 9pm 6 days a week on the building sites. Drank in their own pubs and caused no trouble :rolleyes: Why is it that the few Polish members we have (Zaraustra and at least two other lads) in their posts seem to back up my experience of the Poles (re work ethic, women, culture etc etc) better than the self appointed Irish spokespeople? :confused: On t`internet those who speak loudest often know the least of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Is that a roundabout way of accepting there may be a small handful of lunatics among our large Polish population who have partaken in this activity?

No. Not at all. However would you agree that we're not going to agree? Do you just see this thread going around in circles? I dunno about you but there are other parts of boards I like to visit apart from After Hours, and apart from anything else I need to get pepared. Funnily enough I'm off to Poland for the 3rd time this year the week after next.

I didn't quote the rest of what you have to say because it's exactly what I was talking about several posts ago. I took up an issue with the OP because of what he was insinuating. What he was implying could happen hasn't happened here in Ireland that we are aware of. It is an awful act and one which doesn't help the image of Eastern European among the impressionable. It just increases the idea, the image that they are good for nothing and should be rounded up and deported. It's contributing to a negative stereotype.

However your point is that well, 'It could happen'. Anything could happen. Just because it hasn't, doesn't mean it can't. That's a poor and vague point. It's not I believe a valid contribution to this situation.

eo980 wrote:
    No. Not at all. However would you agree that we're not going to agree? Do you just see this thread going around in circles? I dunno about you but there are other parts of boards I like to visit apart from After Hours, and apart from anything else I need to get pepared. Funnily enough I'm off to Poland for the 3rd time this year the week after next.
    Do you plan on coming back from Poland and then going there again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Fair enough. You think that of the best part of a million Poles here/UK, not one mentally unstable member of the group has ever attacked a swan.

In terms of logic, I would disagree. A million Buddhsts or Hindus, meh, maybe.

As said I seem to agree with the previous posts the Poles here have made (in terms of reality) and my own extensive experience both positive and negative(largely positive, only negs being the two lazy women prev mentioned, the dodgy gypsy previously mentioned and some gobsh1e who tried to skip my place in a taxi queue), rather than the apparently down wit da eatsidaz Irish ambassadors tbh.

Actually Terry I do. I'm going for a long weekend and then I'll be heading back over again in about a month's time, making it four trips this year alone, which I agree might be a tad excessive.
    Why do you ask?

eo980 wrote:
    Actually Terry I do. I'm going for a long weekend and then I'll be heading back over again in about a month's time, making it four trips this year alone, which I agree might be a tad excessive.
    Why do you ask?
    I ask because airline routes are usually semi-circular.
    Going back and forth would constitute a circle.

I thought it was funny.
    Having to explain it wasn't.

Look I'll be honest and say that I'm either too stupid or tired to get the point your making.

• Advertisement

eo980 wrote:
    Me wrote:
    Do you plan on coming back from Poland and then going there again?
    eo980 wrote:
    Why do you ask?
    Me wrote:
    I ask because airline routes are usually semi-circular.
    Going back and forth would constitute a circle.
    Me wrote:
    I thought it was funny.
    Having to explain it wasn't.

I give up.
    Comedy was never my forte.

Sorry Terry. It was a good joke, but as I pointed out I'm either too stupid or tired. I'll go for the latter as I've just watched the extended edition of The Two Towers and I've had several beers, something I don't normally do.

A good joke though, quite clever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

flogen wrote:
    Ignoring the fact that eastern european workers are, on average, better educated than Irish workers
    Say what now? Have you got any, any facts to back up that monstrously presumptuous statement?

Come on now sam. Everyone knows we have the worst everything in the world, including education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭scitpo

Ignoring the fact that eastern european workers are, on average, better educated than Irish workers
    I very much doubt it given that their GDP is a small fraction of ours.

scitpo wrote:
    I very much doubt it given that their GDP is a small fraction of ours.

I can see that you have a wide understanding of socio-economic issues. Not that I have myself, but your implication above is hilarious.

• Advertisement

I wonder if there is another nation out there as self loathing as the Irish.

eo980 wrote:
    I can see that you have a wide understanding of socio-economic issues. Not that I have myself, but your implication above is hilarious.
    Whats socio-economic?

scitpo wrote:
    Whats socio-economic?

That's why your comment can't be taken seriously, at least not by me anyway.

Can you keep your red bananna comments to yourself.

scitpo wrote:
    Can you keep your red bananna comments to yourself.

Well when you have a better understanding of what your talking about feel free to make enlightened comments.

• Advertisement

I know more than you. How many times have you been to Poland? 3 times? Well I've been four. I've read more books on Poland than you as well and know more Polish people.

scitpo wrote:
    I know more than you. How many times have you been to Poland? 3 times? Well I've been four. I've read more books on Poland than you as well and know more Polish people.

I rest my case, though not for the reasons above Sir. You clearly know me better than I know myself.

How could I possibly know you better than yourself you sandwich? The same way you don't know what I know so don't bother making any assumptions again. Burn

scitpo wrote:
    How could I possibly know you better than yourself you genius!

Well according to you:
    I know more than you. So clearly you know me well to have that understanding.
    How many times have you been to Poland? 3 times? Well I've been four. That's marvellous. I've actually been in 2005, 2006, twice this year and will be another two times before the month is out. Though what that has to do with understanding their education system in relation to Ireland I don't know. But you seem to place some emphasis on it and you after all, know more than me.
    I've read more books on Poland than you as well. How do you know what books I've read if any? You must know me better than I know myself, I'd never make a statement like that about someone I never met or directed a comment at on an internet forum.
    ...and know more Polish people. Wow that's amazing stuff indeed. Your definetly something special. I didn't know you knew the polish people I knew. That could only be the case for you to make the statement that you knew more polish people than myself.

You are just replying to me here because you're pissed off I made a fool of you on another thread.

PS. Polish people are far less educated when they come to Ireland. Why do you think they are all here as waiters and builders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

our swans, eh?

theres a guy in my town nicknamed "swans" - reason: when he gets drunk(all the time) he repeatidly says swans, and attacks inanimate objects, eg. walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 morawa

scitpo wrote:
    How could I possibly know you better than yourself you sandwich? The same way you don't know what I know so don't bother making any assumptions again. Burn

If you know poland and polish people so well, what do you make of what I have to say. It's easier for me to type in my native 'tongue':

mysle ze nie masz racji mowiac, ze NPB ma cokolwiek wspolnego z wyksztalceniem. Zeby zdobyc prace trzeba miec co najmniej mature co tu w Irlandii jest juz nie wiadomo czym. Kazdy Irlandczyk jesli tylko chce ma prace, nie tak latwo natomiast w Polsce, trzeba skonczyc studia a i tak konczy sie w pubie w Dublinie.

mysle ze nie masz racji mowiac, ze NPB ma cokolwiek wspolnego z wyksztalceniem. Zeby zdobyc prace trzeba miec co najmniej mature co tu w Irlandii jest juz nie wiadomo czym. Kazdy Irlandczyk jesli tylko chce ma prace, nie tak latwo natomiast w Polsce, trzeba skonczyc studia a i tak konczy sie w pubie w Dublinie.
    Thats a load of ****. Reported for personal abuse and for blatant racism.

scitpo wrote:
    You are just replying to me here because you're pissed off I made a fool of you on another thread.

PS. Polish people are far less educated when they come to Ireland. Why do you think they are all here as waiters and builders?

Ehh I don't remember anyone making a fool of me on another thread, much less you. I think I'd remember your super-generalizations.

Polish people work only as waiters and builders eh? Hmnn I'd better pop down to my local bank so and tell the manager that the poles working there, clearly aren't poles.

scitpo wrote:

Hmmmn I think your polish might be a tad rusty, because there's no personal abuse in there at all. Zip, nadda, none. With all the polish people you know, you could get one to translate for you, because your polish is really bad if you read one thing when I actually said another.

• Advertisement

Oh so your one of these people who hates generalisations to a fault no matter how much truth is in it. 80% of people who work in catering are now foreign. Any polish I wonder? Lets keep this discussion based somewhat in reality and not get carried away with trying to be pc.

scitpo wrote:
    Oh so your one of these people who hates generalisations to a fault no matter how much truth is in it. 80% of people who work in catering are now foreign. Any polish I wonder? Lets keep this discussion based somewhat in reality and not get carried away with trying to be pc.

Gosh no I don't hate generalisations, but yours have been hilarious so far. I'm sure that a huge number of people working in catering are Polish, but to say that they only work in catering and construction is plain ignorant.

But anyway I still really like your comment about the polish GDP being lower than ours so clearly they are less educated than us. That's a real gem.

but to say that they only work in catering and construction is plain ignorant.
    Never said that. Please show me where I mentioned 'only'? Can't, oh well, 3-0.

GDP is related to education in that it costs money to educate people. If a country has a far higher GDP for the last 20 years then they can spend more on a better education. Also in a country that is quite poor like Poland there is less emphasis on education and more on making money as soon as possible. Thats how it is there. 4-0

scitpo wrote:
    Would you look at that, you did say it. Clean your monitor.
    scitpo wrote:
    ....Also in a country that is quite poor like Poland there is less emphasis on education and more on making money as soon as possible. Thats how it is there. 4-0

There are far les jobs in Poland than there are here so in order to actually get a good job in Poland the workforce need to be highly educated in order to get the few jobs that are available to them. Every single Pole I've met so far has gone to university and attained their degree's.

I'm also not keeping scores as that's not what this is about, neither am I that childish. But if it makes you feel better you can, though your 'scoring' has been wrong so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Jaysus lads, can everyone take a step back. The whole thread is about a nonsense article claiming people eating swans that nobody really believes. Let's just laugh at the stupidity of it and leave it at that.

Fair enough Hagar. I did try to do that a while back.

scitpo wrote:

Translation:

You have from (with) reason mysle mowiac, whatever has from (with) with (from) NPB wspolnego wyksztalceniem. At least it isn't known it is necessary be in ireland that work that here Zeby zdobyc miec mature juz. Want has work irishman only Kazdy jesli, however, in poland not so latwo, it is necessary studio (study) skonczyc and in pub in dublin so konczy sie

Maybe not swans but they do piss all the locals off by fishing illegaly and also finshing for the sort of fish a dog wouldnt piss on. Still waiting for that 'only'.

eo980 wrote:
    Fair enough Hagar. I did try to do that a while back.

HAHA....that's amusing

• Advertisement

scitpo wrote:
    Maybe not swans but they do piss all the locals off by fishing illegaly and also finshing for the sort of fish a dog wouldnt piss on. Still waiting for that 'only'.

Where's the proof of that?
    Ehh I highlighted it for you in my post above. How much clearer do you want it to be?

pvt. joker wrote:
    HAHA....that's amusing
    I know, dirty lying sore loser.

pvt. joker wrote:
    Translation:

You have from (with) reason mysle mowiac, whatever has from (with) with (from) NPB DIRTY IRISH PIG. At least it isn't known it is necessary be in ireland that work that here Zeby zdobyc miec mature juz. Want has work irishman only Kazdy jesli, however, in poland not so latwo, it is necessary studio (study) skonczyc and in pub in dublin so **** YOU!
    There you go.

pvt. joker wrote:
    Translation:

You have from (with) reason mysle mowiac, whatever has from (with) with (from) NPB wspolnego wyksztalceniem. At least it isn't known it is necessary be in ireland that work that here Zeby zdobyc miec mature juz. Want has work irishman only Kazdy jesli, however, in poland not so latwo, it is necessary studio (study) skonczyc and in pub in dublin so konczy sie

Did you go to the nearest Polish-English website? Or was it from a dictionary. What you have translated isn't what I have written. It was coherent and concise polish. I'll leave it there for you as a 'puzzle' and you can come back to me when it's properly translated.

pvt. joker wrote:
    HAHA....that's amusing

Go back several pages and it's there in black and white.
    scitpo wrote:
    I know, dirty lying sore loser.

Ehh what?
    scitpo wrote:
    There you go.

Falsely editing quotes to try and make your point? Ohh that's low and smacks of desperation.

morawa, we're all waiting paitently for your translation.

Please don't keep un in suspense any longer.

All I read was "Pubes in Dublin".

• Advertisement

morawa wrote:
    Did you go to the nearest Polish-English website? Or was it from a dictionary. What you have translated isn't what I have written. It was coherent and concise polish. I'll leave it there for you as a 'puzzle' and you can come back to me when it's properly translated.

I printed it out and gave it to my polish grandmother. She laughed so hard she spit her teeth on the floor before scribbling this "translation"

Terry do you require a translation of it? There is nothing bad in it, it's in connection with GDP and education.

eo980 wrote:
    Go back several pages and it's there in black and white.

you single handedly turned this thread into a cluster****

pvt. joker wrote:
    I printed it out and gave it to my polish grandmother. She laughed so hard she spit her teeth on the floor before scribbling this "translation"

Hmnn well your grandmother is probably old, so maybe she doesn't understand complex socio-economics. It might be above her. Maybe her laugh was an embarassed one.

Hmnn well your grandmother is probably old, so maybe she doesn't understand complex socio-economics. It might be above her. Maybe her laugh was an embarassed one.
    Pull the other one. If I dont know what socioeconomics is then a Polish person most certainly doesn't. You're about as Polish as humour.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement