Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stranglehold Demo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

but it can't simply be shoot till it looks like you're standing in the middle of Finglas!!!

Why not? That's exactly what it looks like, and I for one can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Damn marketplace is down.:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Sweet demo. Can't wait for the full game. TEQUILA!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

aye fully recommend this demo, downloaded it today and i have to say im very very impressed indeed, could get a tad repititive later on but it looks and plays spectacularly

For instance early on you can jump onto a cart and while its moving you can shoot the bad guys, also i ran up a wall twisted around and took about 5 guys out in slow mo

Cant wait for this its gonna be a good un

Shin

Ahhh. This demo was 1.5gb to download. I would recommed downloading this demo to see if you like it. Personally I would only rate it 8/10. Its not a classic but not bad either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Fun. It's gonna be repetitive but I'll probably buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Anyone any ideas what the dashboard update today was about? Downloaded Stranglehold demo - away to try now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Opps - didn't think a google would answer my question...
    http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/08/07/xbox-360-system-update-august-07.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Anyone remember Max Payne a few years ago - exactly the same as that with a few knobs on and less atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Max payne was a great game. Stranglehold is good as well. The only thing I didn't like was the speed you could rotate the camera at. It's just to slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

voxpop wrote:
    Anyone remember Max Payne a few years ago - exactly the same as that with a few knobs on and less atmosphere.
    Ha, thats exactly what I was thinking, based on the description above, and I haven't played the demo yet!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

cool game, like the slow mo shotgun blasts to the badies face while falling backwards, very impressive physics.

And the camera angle is definitely slow, so when you play at "hard boiled" level your getting shot and losing health rapidly while slowly turning around to see where.

not sure about the mulitplayer, there is a glimpse of it at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Precision shots made me choke on my chewing gum.

Amazing demo, i am getting this game now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I also feel the need to mention Max Payne.

The thing I don't like about this game is how well the baddies blend into their surroundings. I think I'd enjoy a shooter with day-glo baddies more. I was looking forward the the game but, having played the demo, will probably give it a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'd prefer the camera rotation to be as fast as GoW which the camera was the right speed for any videogame where it is behind the character. Stanglehold might not be over the shoulder like in GoW, but I'd say it would adapt well. Max Payne would definetly bring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Its good fun alright, but the environments seem a little too easily destructable. It's insane to just tip off a wooden crate and have it explode in a shower of splinters flung into the air, or brush against a watermelon and have it too explode. Also, he's got a tendency to too-readily slide over the low surfaces. All I wanted to do was run up to a table and crouch down behind it, but no, he slides over it to the other side like an eejit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Echo the sentiments of others: the first game that sprung to mind was Max Payne - a game I bored of quickly following the initial joy of the combat system.

This was a good demo, and the video at the end looks mighty impressive, but I fear this game is going to be very, very repetitive if they don't throw in some variety (and I don't mean a single on the rails helicopter level as the end video suggests). The game does look impressive, but probably for a rental rather than a buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I played it for about 10 minutes, but found a glitch – after a few minutes the screen kind of fogs over and goes blurry. Any else get that?

edit
    Oh wait! that was just me losing all interest in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned shenmue. That's the first thing I thought when I start playing this. Needless to say that they are slightly different styles:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

What a game. Does it have multiplayer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

bland to the max.

There's only so many times you can dive while shooting someone and it being entertaining.

Destructable environments were too easily destructed (as someone pointed out already, of course everything was made in China and probably of really cheap and questionable quality and therefore likely to break from the force of a butterfly fart) and all the characters had the usual burn victim appearance that is common these days

meh to be honest but I am a harsh bastard by nature and I did play through it 3 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I downloaded the demo not knowing what to expect. tbh I thought it was crap. I've since deleted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

seems light some light hearted action gaming. something for a slight bit of craic. might pick it up if its cheap, is it region free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

danbhala wrote:
    seems light some light hearted action gaming. something for a slight bit of craic. might pick it up if its cheap, is it region free?

If your idea of cheap is 60-75 bills, fire away.

I was personally majorly disappointed with this. Maybe the demo was over simplified, I don't know. Graphics looked very generic, and the hook of the entire game gets very old, very fast. Giving you all four of the tequila bombs in the demo was a mistake as well I think. You gots to leave them wanting more, and this demo just made me want something else. Specifically Bioshock. And a sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Very disappointed with the demo,

Just seems like a one trick pony.

Not sure why I would want to go now and buy the full game.

I feel like I have sampled all it has to offer already.

It has nothing on Max Payne tbh, well graphically maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Fun demo, going to be getting this game.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

one of the most fun games ive ever played, defo gettin the full game, the graphics seemed a bit blurry tho, its unreal engine powered and nowhere near the sharpness of GOW or Rainbow 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Vyse wrote:
    I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned shenmue. That's the first thing I thought when I start playing this.
    Thought That two, looks similar, but its completly different game. Good laugh, like a modern day Max Payne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Branoic wrote:
    Its good fun alright, but the environments seem a little too easily destructable. It's insane to just tip off a wooden crate and have it explode in a shower of splinters flung into the air, or brush against a watermelon and have it too explode. Also, he's got a tendency to too-readily slide over the low surfaces. All I wanted to do was run up to a table and crouch down behind it, but no, he slides over it to the other side like an eejit.
    Haha, yeah I was having the same problem myself, I figured out how to stop it, just put in a better game.

This game get boreing fast, and if the full game dosen't have a killer script and breakneck pace I can't see it doing well, the only reason Max Payn was good was down to the decent script, and the novelty of bullet time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I quite enjoyed the demo. It'll be a great game to just slap in and kill people to let off steam. Plus I loved the precision shooting. There's something comforting about shooting badguys in the nuts!

Advertisement