Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

epilepsy or poisoned cat??

Options
  • 08-08-2007 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

hi there,
    pick ur brains if thats ok...my cat just came home about 45 minutes ago and she was walking as if the ground was hot...kinda tip toeing around but walking sideways too...i brought her in to see if she would have a drink when i put her down she had a fit...claws out and just jerking and water coming out her nose...after 30/40 seconds she stopped fitting and couldn't move her back legs for 20/30 seconds then was trying to stand up but kept falling over...after she came out of th fit and while she was trying to stand she was crying a high pitched meow.....then she went mental and attacked the dog and me just hitting out with her claws and spitting...

the poor dog is her best friend and was lying under her when she was falling....and trying to lick her so i had to chain him up as she started at him

anyway i rang the vet and his advice is to let her be for an hour or 2 and see how she is then...
    which i will and will end up bringing her in later or tomorrwo to him..

but do any of you think this may be epilepsy or could she have been poisoned...we live in the country so she rambles through the fields..

shes sleeping now in her box

any ideas appreciated..thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭car39

if it were me i would take her straight to the vet cos something must be wrong,would,nt have a clue what would have caused it hop she will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Cats can get epilepsy and (secondary) poisonning is always a worry for me too as I also live rurally. I don't know what she could have, only a vet can assess that properly. I would take her to the vet anyway, just to be sure. And cats can go downhill very quickly. I
    hope she'll be okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Vets now!! Especially if it's the hind legs...it could be saddle thrombosis which is best dealt with if you get it early.
    Also, how old is the cat and has it had any trouble swallowing lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

thanks guys..

schlemm the cat is 2 years old and is female...i am unable to take her to the vets straight away as i am looking after a new baby for a friend and my own dughter has to be collected from summer camp very shortly....i will take her as soon as possible though.

at the moment she is resting in her box ..i took her out and she is walking perfectly again and breathing and eyes are normal...no discharge and her crying has stopped...in effect she is as normal...

weird..she frightened the heart out of me....

she was born with no tail but i doubt this has any bearing on anything..

thanks again guys and i will keep ye posted over the next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Good luck with her, if it was poison I imagine she would be a lot worse. Could she have been hit by a car?, perhaps she was coming out of shock.

• Advertisement

doctor evil..you are on the ball....

we are just back from the vet and indeed he reckons she has been hit by a car and has been very lucky to survive and be able to run in home..

she has slight swelling on her back leg and a graze so is on meds and i have to keep my eyes on her over the next few days..

she is in good form and is lying in her bed resting lapping up the attention!!

she did go out and have a wee snuggle with her buddy the dog [a boxer]
    poor dog was so worried looking with she was sick..lickinig her and lying down when she fell so her head was on his paws....nature is great ain't it..

thanks for the support guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good luck with her, if it was poison I imagine she would be a lot worse. Could she have been hit by a car?, perhaps she was coming out of shock.

WOW!.

Murph, best of luck with the cat.

Our last cat was knocked down and went through a lot of surgery before eventually dying of her injuries.

Regards.

well guys , molly is perfect this morning..i left her out earlier and she jumped up onto the 6ft fence and went off for a ramble....

she ate her breakfast as normal and everything seems fine..:)

thanks again everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Nice to hear shes better. Do I get a golden star for my shot in the dark prognosis ;~)

well i will give you a smiley face ,how about that doctor not so evil!!:)

clever boots

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement