Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build: DAW Short Rack 3U PC (advice needed)

Options
  • 08-08-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Need advice with the following PC.

Case: Janus DS35 Short 3U Rack (This can't change)
    Processor : Conroe 6700 2.67Mhz (Core Duo)
    Motherboard : Don't know, but it'll need to be mATX for the case. Onboard graphics would be ideal.
    RAM : Don't know.
    PSU: BeQuiet P5-420W (Taken from my old PC)

So I need advice on what motherboard, HSF and memory to get. My order of preference for this build is:
    1: Low Noise
    2: Stability
    3: Computational Performance
    4: Graphics ability.

Thanks,
    LK.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I hope you dont mind me asking, but to get a better idea of what hardware is iseally suited to you i would like to know what this machine will be used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Digital audio recording and processing. This won't be used for gaming. Does that explain it better? Infact this thread could be better suited to the recording and pro audio forum, but I thought here would be better.

LK

This is a great motherboard, with onboard graphics, it supports dual and quad core cpu's and upto 8gb ram in 2gb stick format. Which is pretty much the max you will find comercially at the moment.

This ram is great too, its a known Overclockers ram which means it will run stable at tighter timens with more voltages and under alot mroe heat. So it will be perfect for your pc if you ever do decide to overlcock.

This is a great low profile cooler, that will blow air onto your motherboard and against your ram, which will help in stability, the only thing i would change abotu it is the fan. But This fan will fit on no problems, it is completly whisper silent and offers a high air flow rate. Which will in turn keep your cpu nice and cool, and also cool the components around it.

If you are also doing recording i would consider the Creative X-fi with a break out box. But since you are into that type of thing im sure you already knwo about it, or are probably using better hardware already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote:
    This is a great motherboard, with onboard graphics, it supports dual and quad core cpu's and upto 8gb ram in 2gb stick format. Which is pretty much the max you will find comercially at the moment.

This ram is great too, its a known Overclockers ram which means it will run stable at tighter timens with more voltages and under alot mroe heat. So it will be perfect for your pc if you ever do decide to overlcock.

This is a great low profile cooler, that will blow air onto your motherboard and against your ram, which will help in stability, the only thing i would change abotu it is the fan. But This fan will fit on no problems, it is completly whisper silent and offers a high air flow rate. Which will in turn keep your cpu nice and cool, and also cool the components around it.

If you are also doing recording i would consider the Creative X-fi with a break out box. But since you are into that type of thing im sure you already knwo about it, or are probably using better hardware already.

i agree with every thing except the fan go with a asaka amber,zalamn or nexus fan for the cpu.

Anti wrote:

Looks good, forgot to ask if I could get onboard firewire. :o
    Anti wrote:

Cool, I presume I shouldn't use one stick of 2GB instead of 2 x 1GB sticks?
    Anti wrote:

I'll double check the dimensions of the case to ensure there's enough headroom.
    Anti wrote:

Yea, don't worry I can sort that.;) Is the PSU I'm going to use OK for this?

Thanks for the info Anti!

LK

• Advertisement

To get another board with firewire already onboard you will loose out on alot of the features of that board. And it will cost a fair bit more, So i would suggest getting Firewire&usb card.

As for the cooler it will fit in your case no problems, i have already checked the dimensions for you.

2x1gb of ram would be a wiser option, as if one dies then you wtill have 1gb that will still be working. Where as if you have 1x2gb if it dies you are left with a system that does not work.

I would still stick with the fan i chose as it is silent and pushes a hell of alot of air, alot more then the other 2 fans mentioned. Which is a must as when doing your audio you will be pushing the cpu quite hard. And the last thing you want is any overheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Personally I'd go with this motherboard instead as it is an Intel chipset which are very reliable and comes with Firewire support, integrated graphics.

only difference is the abit board has much better reviews then the msi one.

It looks like the samurai is too tall...
    http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/029/images/andymeasure.JPG

This looks like a nice option....
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=nt01v2&area=

Anti,

What reviews are you refering to regarding the abit board.

Thanks,
    LK

Advertisement