Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

questions, questions and more questions

Options
  • 08-08-2007 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Sorry these may all be a bit basic for you...but all help is much appreciated.

Situation- My second provisional ran out about a year ago. a few years ago I did a lot of driving lessons was on my dad licence etc, got pretty good, but missed a few tests because was away.

Aim- To have a shot at the driving test before Feb next year as I am leaving the country then. Maybe even get two bites at it?

Questions-

1. For me to get third liecence I have to have eveidence that I have a test coming up. Is a letter from the drivingtest people saying I have applied for one enough? Also on third provisional, I cannot drive on my own is that right? How have other people got on, on a third?

2. Can I apply for two tests at two seperate test centres at same time. i.e one with maybe 4 months waiting list, then another with 6mths? so I could have shot at first one, and then another coming up after?

3. If I do not own a car, and have no access to one- what car do I do the test in?

4. Taking all above into account, anyone who was similar position, what is best way of getting yourself in such a situation that you have best shot of passing the test?

5. And finally, are the waiting lists on the driving test centre site, http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html close to being accurate at the moment, or are they old hat?

Sorry for all the questions, many which you probably read here before...but please any help would be great and tread softly cause you tread on my driving dreams :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

1. As far as I know, the letter is sufficent proof of applying for a test and so you could be given a third provisional, not sure if letting the second one lapse a year will affect that.

2. Nothing to stop you doing this as far as I'm aware, it's another €38 to them each time you apply and sit the test.

3. As you're on a provisional licence and so could not hire a car, you should be able to use a car from a driving school, with their permission of course :)

4. Best way to pass is practice, practice, practice, pre-tests with a qualified instructor etc., no way to guarantee passing of course.

5. Someone mentioned in another thread that the waiting list data is only correct to the end of 2005, so no they're not up to date at all.

I waited six and a half months for my test (in Tallaght) and thats about average there at the moment - you will have lesser waiting times at certain country centres and/or if you are willing to take a cancellation and so be called at very short notice. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

1. The letter will be proof enough of you having a test coming up to get your 3rd provisional. You cannot legally drive unaccompanied by a fully licenced driver on your 3rd (or subsequent) licence. A lot of people ignore this rule and get away with it, but the responsibility for that decision is yours. I'm sure most people would agree that having an experienced (and patient) friend or relative with you to offer advice while you're practicing outside of your lessons is beneficial.

2. I'll defer to others on that as I'm not sure if you can have two applications in at once. When I applied for my test, I was sending in a letter from my employer. In the cover letter, I indicated that I'd be happy to take the test in one of two named test centres - I ended up doing the test in the one I originally applied for, so I'm not sure if they considered this request or not.

3. You can often rent a car from a driving school for the test. Obviously your chance of doing this will be better if you've been getting lessons from the driving school. Other than that, you could get yourself insured as a named driver on someone else's car. It usually doesn't cost much.

4. Best way to pass the test to practice, practice and practice some more. Listen to what your instructor says, and put it into action. Be alert and drive for the conditions (traffic, weather, road condition, etc). Know the rules of the road, and drive according to them, always observing what other road users are doing. And try to be confident and comfortable on the day of the test. Remember, it's really just a 20 minute jaunt around a town that you should be familiar with (provided you've done your practice) with a quiet guy/girl in the car. That quietness can actually be quite a daunting part of the test, so a mock pre-test might be a good idea to let you know what to expect. Forget about the clipboard, and keep your mind on the task at hand.

5. I think those waiting lists are out of date. It has Ennis down as 39 weeks. The first time I applied for my test, It came up about 10 weeks after I applied. I then had to cancel it at very short short notice on account of a funeral. When i reapplied, I sent in a letter from my employer and got it within 4 or 5 weeks.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Just a short note. A learner driver cannot drive on any provisional licence if they do not have a fully qualified driver with them. Most garda pass a blind eye to this depending on your location.
    I have known a lot of people to have their work-place type a quick letter explaining the importance of a driving test as soon as possible for work relations, ie-driving for work, company car etc
    Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ginger83 wrote:
    A learner driver cannot drive on any provisional licence if they do not have a fully qualified driver with them
    That is incorrect Ginger83.

Provisional drivers in categories A, A1, M and W are not required to be accompanied.

Drivers on their 2nd provisional licence in category B and drivers who have held a provisional licence in category B prior to 12/08/85 are not required to be accompanied either.

Advertisement