Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre optic splicing/jointing/terminating

Options
  • 08-08-2007 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm currently working as an electrician / fibre jointer for a state body, and am looking into setting up my own company, which would be part time for the time being.
    As I mentioned, I am a fibre jointer, jointing large single mode cables 96 to 160 fibres, and smaller multimode fibres for office networks etc.
    The question I have is whether or not there is a lot of demand out there for so called "once off jobs", whereby people who may be installing a new office network need fibres terminating, or if CCTV installers require fibres termninating etc. etc.

Anywho, just thought I'd put the feelers out!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

So has anybody any opinions on it???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dunno where you are for starters :D

there would be demand if we could quantify the cost , eg if there were 1300nm SM fibres 'in place' what would it cost a day and what would you complete in that time.

I know of at least 5 sites who would go fibre between major units if the costings could be worked out and they could work on getting the runs in over time.

cctv is copper, often pppoe nowadays

I even know of someone considering a PON , any proposals ??

I'm based in Dublin.

The cost is pretty easily quantified, and wouldn't be based on an hourly rate, it would be priced per splice, regardless of multimode or singlemode. Customers can supply the hardware, i.e. pigtails, patchpanels etc., or we can supply them at an extra cost.

The only other addition to the cost would be if the work had to be done out of hours, where there would obviously be an uplift in the price.

If you had for example a twelve core single mode fibre, sitting at a patch panel, ready for termination, it would be terminated onto pigtails within the hour.

I would also be able to test the end product, at an addittional cost and supply otdr traces on disk to the customer. All splices carried out would be tested with a visible light source as part of the splicing price.

I don't mean to condradict you but...... you'll find that multimode fibre is now commonly used to transmit cctv images over medium to long distances. I've done a few jobs in the job I'm in, where the image comes off the camera on coax, and when it reaches the bottom of the pole it's terminated onto a small fibre transmiter, which in turn sends it via multimode to a receiver where the dvr etc is located, where it changes back to coax.

To be honest I know very little about passive optical networks, I thought that was the same principle that they used for fibre to the home? I may be wrong. The body I work for has a large sdh and pdh netork, which I would have a limited knowledge about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I am not in security , dunno why they use multimode :)

Thanks for that , 10-12 splices an hour is about what I thought was the norm with that little cube of yeers .

Those little cubes have come a long way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement