Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Vostro - Will I Get Any Better?

• 08-08-2007 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so currently scouring the interweb looking for a new laptop, it's for college but would like one for the games as well...

Anyways, i think I'm after finding one i'm happy with (well 2). They are Dell Vostros - business laptops but they look great...

Anyways, the specs:

Vostro 1500
    * 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) with TrueLife
    * Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 Processor (2.2GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 cache)
    * Windows Vista Ultimate
    * Integrate 2.0 Mega Pixel Camera
    * 2048 MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    * 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    * 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    * 9 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

Total Price (Including Delivery & VAT) = €1087.79

Alternative:

Vostro 1700
    * 17" Wide Screen WXGA+ (1440 x 900) TFT Display
    * Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 Processor (2.2GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
    * Windows Vista Business
    * 2048 MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    * 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    * 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    * 9 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

Total Price (Including Delivery & VAT) = €1136.19

So basically for an €50 I would go from Vista Ultimate down to Business but from 15.4" up to 17" Screen. I was thinking of paying up to around €1200, so I have a small bit to play with, is there something extra I should get?

The links for the base models are here (1500) and here (1700)

The only major problems i could see are:
    1. They are business laptops. Despite this are the graphics cards capable of decent games? Also will a lot of business oriented software be installed?

2. There is a 4 week delay on all Vostros (although this really isn't a problem, seen as how i want it for college, and won't be back until the 1st October...)

Would appreciate some feedback, especially if anyone has experience of the Vostro laptops...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh and ment to say, I presume that you're not gonna find cheaper out there are ya? Comparing similar machines for other companies, this seems waayyy cheaper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Indeed, I'm in the same boat as you my friend.

From what I understand the 8600m GT is the best graphics card you can get in a 15" laptop. Or at least up there.

Btw what's the craic with this "TrueLife" screen? How much difference does it make?

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Indeed, I'm in the same boat as you my friend.

From what I understand the 8600m GT is the best graphics card you can get in a 15" laptop. Or at least up there.

Btw what's the craic with this "TrueLife" screen? How much difference does it make?

From here (this is only some dude on a forum though)
    Glossy screens (i.e. TrueLife) render blacks much darker than matte screens, and colors generally look a lot more photo-realistic on them. But the glare can be very irritating in places with overhead lighting, and dust and fingerprints are really conspicuous on them. If you're going to use your system primarily for DVD watching or gaming, go with glossy. But if you're going to do a lot of text-based work or other productivity applications, particularly in an office-type environment, go with a matte screen.

Ok cool. I see you went for the 9 Cell Battery. Any ideas how long this will last? or how long the standard 6cell will last?

Also, I was thinking of going for the 1 year accidental damage support and the "Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support"

What's peoples thoughts on that?

Dunno how much better a 9cell battery is, but apparently it's worth the extra €10...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rahenyguy

just a word of warning the 9 cell battery sticks out about an inch outside the laptop,just discovered this when i got mine this morning

What you mean it sticks out an inch? as in out the side or bottom or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

IIRC, it's about an inch or so thicker than the standard 6 cell battery.

rahenyguy wrote:
    just a word of warning the 9 cell battery sticks out about an inch outside the laptop,just discovered this when i got mine this morning

Did you get a Vostro? Did it take 4 weeks for you to get it?

If it's an inch thicker does that not mean that the bottom of the laptop would be wobbly?

• Advertisement

when the laptop is lying flat on a desk the 9 cell battery sticks out about an inch by 7 or 8 inches across the back of the laptop its actually bigger than the laptop it doesnt just sit in as part of the case like a normal laptop battery will post pic tomorrow,i didnt get a vostro i got an inspiron 1720 waiting since start of july,kick up a stink over your delay and they will give ya something free i got the wugxa truelife screen for nothing

Oh, i think i get you....

Would it look something like the (really quick) drawing i made?

(the bit at the top sticking out is the battery)

yes but the battery comes out a bit more than ur diagram,its pretty annoying because i dint expect it like that,i called and complained and there sending me a 6 cell for free,well hopefully i get it but they said they would,as i said earlier i got the 1720 2.2ghz 2gb ram wugxa screen 256mb video card so far im really happy,i was using a pentium 4 3.2ghz laptop so much faster and smoother this runs

Well maybe i'll have to try the same thing... :D

We'll see, reckon i'll get the 17" model anyways, despite the 4 week wait...

Advertisement