Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points now expected to rise, not fall

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Open your results when you get them.
    You have been waiting long enough ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah these people saying they won't open them until the 20th...pfft, 10 minutes at the school and they'll crack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 toastomatic

It seems like a pretty stupid idea to me. I mean you've spent like 2 years working for this educational milestone and you refuse to even look at the results? I mean if you look at it from a broader angle, its not just a means to getting to college. Its an achievement in itself, you should be proud to have made it this far, and besides, what are you going to write on your CV? "I didnt care about my leaving cert cos i got my college place, so i burnt my results"

And anyway, you wont last 2 minutes, with everyone asking you how you did....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackjack555

when will we know the amount of points needed? Results day or the monday?

and besides, what are you going to write on your CV? "I didn't care about my leaving cert cos i got my college place, so i burnt my results"

Actually, I just won't bother putting them on my CV at all I reckon.
    The LC is just a test to rank applicants for limited College places in most cases.
    Unless a future employer actually cares about LC points/results which precedes say a college certification, there really is no point in putting them down.
    Apart from the initial novelty, I think people will just forget about them tbh.
    I am not trying to put people down, Hell we all worked in varying degrees for the LC, it's just that they ain't what they are made out to be.

• Advertisement

Well I do understand that yeah...its a fair point, like it is almost always just a way of streaming people into college places, but I just dont see the purpose of not looking at your results...I mean they do mean something, dont they? They do have importance...like if you think about the people in their 40s and 50s out there who cant get employment because they couldnt/didnt get that bit of paper when they were young...I geuss maybe I know too many of them to take my leaving for granted! lol.

Well I do understand that yeah...its a fair point, like it is almost always just a way of streaming people into college places, but I just dont see the purpose of not looking at your results...I mean they do mean something, dont they? They do have importance...like if you think about the people in their 40s and 50s out there who cant get employment because they couldnt/didnt get that bit of paper when they were young...I geuss maybe I know too many of them to take my leaving for granted! lol.

Well, I can see your point too just to add.
    I don't understand why people wouldn't open them at first sight though.
    I know the LC may seem very important in getting a job, but you have to take into account that it really isn't the be all and end all now that there is Adult/other Education routes/Mature student routes to get a qualification.

If someone wants to better themselves, they should use Further Education etc(i.e non LC related) to get a decent weight qualification.
    I know a few people who don't even have a junior cert, and one of them in particular is a particularly well off Software Engineer/Programmer.
    People with determination will succeed no matter what.
    Sounds clique I know, but it's true in many cases, not all though.

Thats definitely true, yeah. I'm all for being determined, and I'm totally for further education. Its really improved the situation for a whole lot of people. Though I also think people talk down the value of the leaving cert after all the effort that goes into it and the bother and the struggle it can cause if you dont have one, and that seems unfair to me.

Then again, an awful lot of things seem unfair to me, im a regular original miseryguts. :D

Then again, an awful lot of things seem unfair to me, im a regular original miseryguts. :D

Death and high taxes being two prime examples:)

lol! and that's just scratching the surface!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

True, the state of the world so far leads me to believe we and future generations, are all ****ed.

Nicely put. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The past 2 years of my life are a good enough reason for me to know how I did in this damn test!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

*shrug* I know my LC results will be plenty handy for getting summer jobs and part time jobs between now and the end of my degree... after that they might stay on my CV, but mean less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

Well now the Irish Times is saying that points will stay low. Who is one to believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Don't listen to any of these predictions, nobody can know any of that information so just wait until you see it with your own eyes. I know it's tough but it really is the only way to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 curlysue18

I read somewhere that points will probably stay more or less the same, because althought there are more applicants to the cao this year, a HUGE number of new courses are on offer... and hence more places availabe... :rolleyes:

But youre right there we will just have to wait and see

only 4 days to go:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Well now the Irish Times is saying that points will stay low. Who is one to believe?
    Same thing in "The Evening Herald". Won't get too excited either way. Will just wait and see how things work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Oh no...what will I do.......time to take action.......need points to lower for arts...... Timothy McVeigh begins to incaptulate my body..feeling urgency to inflict pain on my fellow countrymen.....sudden urge to make homemade bombs worth in the region of 5,000 euro..... Have a desire for 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's choc chip ice cream before I'm virtually put to the slaughter for my actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've known that the number of CAO applicants was way up for months and that the fact that less people were actually sitting the Leaving was irrelevant to points.

I thought this was common knowledge, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

JC 2K3, in my circumstances, less people have applied to Arts, but more people have it as their first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

The extra people applying would normally be doing apprentices or working in untrained work etc. yeah? (Nothing against anyone doing these) but generally they won't have studied that much or be going for medicine etc. yeah?

So its unlikely that most courses will go up, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Meh, it's useless speculating in the first place. You'll know tomorrow week, that's all that matters.

(You don't even need to open your envelope on Wednesday ;) )

Advertisement