Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie surfer

Options
  • 08-08-2007 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,
    I've done a few lessons and now wanna buy a board, i've read a few threads and am understanding about size to buy, etc portwest are selling foam top boards would these be better to learn on or are they crap, i've stood up a few times but really need to practice it more often or would the epoxy be better sorry if this question has been asked a million times before,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

No buy a proper board, I'm using my first, a bic 7ft 3in, got the lot, suit, booties, cord and board for around 400.
    that's nearly 2 years ago so I'd imagine prices have dropped.
    this is where I got mine
    Blue Rock, Finiskillin Road, Sligo. Tel 071 91 54044 info@bluerock.ie www.bluerock.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28 josie80

Thanks for that there's so many choices, pretty much just want a board that's easy to learn on, some of the other threads said to stay away from the bics as they're quite heavy, how did you find learning on yours, i'm 5"4 would i look for a 7" - 8"......

I'm only 5ft 8in myself, they can be a bit awkward but I reckon their easier to learn on than something smaller, more bouyoncy and all of that, I did try a 6ft 8 (i think) Bic board too, and did feel comfortable manouvering it in the water, but I couldn't get up on it.

You should maybe ask someone the next time your on the beach if you could have a go on theirs, try both boards, it's upto your strength and all of that too, you just get used to whatever you falling off:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

No buy a proper board, I'm using my first, a bic 7ft 3in, got the lot, suit, booties, cord and board for around 400.
    that's nearly 2 years ago so I'd imagine prices have dropped.
    this is where I got mine
    Blue Rock, Finiskillin Road, Sligo. Tel 071 91 54044 info@bluerock.ie www.bluerock.ie
    Bic are great boards for learning all right, the 7ft 3 and 7ft 9 are the most popular / best selling boards in the world, and you see them everywhere. Epoxy boards like the Take Off range offer more performance than the Bics but they are a bit more expensive and not as durable as the Bics.
    Blue Rock has closed down I think. The shop in Sligo selling Bic now is Sunset, Adelaide Street, Sligo. 071 91 62792

Ah that's a pity about Blue Rock if it's gone, it was near the city centre to the left of the traffic lights as you leave Sligo centre for Ross's Point, that's the same one isn't it? She was good in there, free leash and wax I think when I bought the board, she was cheaper than the others but just by 30-40 euro I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 josie80

Thanks for that guys, i'm actually in dublin though so will have to look closer for shops, seen a nsp surfbetty for sale secondhand would it be hard to learn on on of those although you'se kinda have me sold on the bic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

I would advise you to stay clear of an nsp, their construction method is different to the bic and not nearly as durable. The 7"3 or 7"9 BICs are popular all over the world for good reason, they are almost perfect starter boards. When i started surfing a car ran over my BIC in the carpark (ie over the middle of it) and it was fine. You don't need to buy a new board, get something in or around the 200euro mark on buy and sell. If it has no cracks its fine. Have a great time surfing and good luck with the board search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Good luck with the board search is right. Parts of the west coast eg Sligo are only 2.5 hours from Dublin, so its within easy day trip / weekend trip reach when you want to use your board in real waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Sunride epoxys are also meant to be very good, and are meant to be 20% more buoyent. I ordered online with summers surf shop based in the uk on ebay. Very happy with the service, got the wax, leash and bag thrown in with the price and ended up with an 8'6" custom for 440 including delivery. Only took 3 days as well.

Although it should also be mentioned that you'll more then likely find someone selling a second hand in dublin as well. You should check out here: http://www.irishsurfer.com/classifieds/

And if you have a look round the irish shops online, some of them also offer second hand deals. Good hunting....

Advertisement