Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Coffee... (Nothing To Do With GTA)

Options
  • 08-08-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I know this question may have been asked before, but perhaps not quite in this fashion (and also, it's quite difficult to search for!) :) So, I'm pretty much a common pleb when it comes to coffee compared to some of the aficiandos on this forum; i.e. I use an electric kettle, plunger and ground coffee from Starbucks (should that be Starbuck's? :)).

Now, I know not to pour boiling water over the coffee and I also know to leave the plunging for a minute or so before pouring down my throat, but therein lies my quandry: The coffee's never hot enough!

Is there a way to have nice, hot coffee but still be true and do the do the way the brewer's do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Do you pre-heat both the plunger pot (french press) and cup/mug
    before use? Easiest way is to boil the kettle first then fill both mug and
    french press with boiling water. Leave the press and mug full of the
    hot water whilst you refill the kettle and heat the water for making the
    coffee. This should stop the cold press and mug from cooling the
    coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Aha, a nice elegant solution! Cheers Gran Hermano...

I should've thought of that really; I was making cocktails only last night, and there's a similar process for the glasses using ice! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hi Folex,

Just to add to what Gran Hermano said. I use a jacket with my large French Press as well as pre-heating the glass. You could think about a purchase... They're available widely. Let me know if you have any difficulty sourcing one.

bifpj.jpg

Think it's Starbucks too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Microwave...

I never preheat anything with my French Press and don't have a problem with the temp. How hot to you want it? I know my mother considers coffee that's not just off boil to be too cold. She's drank mostly (although not exclusively) instant all her life though.

PS 3-4 minutes brewing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Microwave...
    Yep, they are great for beverages. If you boil a single cup of water you will not get any aftertastes which can come from kettles. Also a single cup boils fast so there is not as much gases lost due to overboiling.

I put cups in the microwave with water, boil them up and the cup can get way hotter than simply filling with hot water.

Catering type cups are much thicker, to stand up to more abuse. You can get heated cup holders for caterers, this heats the cup since the large amount of ceramic draws heat from the cup. BUT conversely the thick cup can store a lot of heat.

So try and get a really thick cup, boil water in it in the microwave to preheat and you should be fine. Also heat the milk if you add it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement