Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Level - Advice please

Options
  • 08-08-2007 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Have spent the last week looking thru this and other forums.Im in the market for a Sat nav and have more or less narrowed my options down to 3 choices.

My highest priority is that the maps are good, accurate and most importantly they are up to date for use in Ireland, UK and France.
    It is also important that the unit be easily updateable/adaptable in the future.

Im not particularly interested in Bluetooth, MP3 Player, Pic Viewer etc.
    Im looking to spend ~€300 or less.

These are my choices:
    - GARMIN Nüvi 350 GPS Navigator - Europe (€299 Pixmania)
    - TOMTOM ONE New Edition GPS V2 - Europe (€275 Pixmania)
    - Route 66 Chicago 8000 Europa GPS (€265 Komplett)

From my research, im swaying towards the Chicago 8000 and swaying away from the TomTom(.But that opinion is just from reading spurious comments and reviews.

Can anyone offer advice or 'actual' comparisons between these models, or indeed if there you have any other suggestions please comment.

One further question.Is there any way of knowing which version of maps will be shipped? My concern that some of the discount online stores maybe cheaper because they are shipping with downlevel maps.
    (out of interest i rang Komplett and asked what version map is shipped with Chicago 8000, they basically had no clue :rolleyes: )

Id hate to spend the money and get a surprise with 'old' maps onboard.

Thanks very much in advance.

gLo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

If you are not interested in Bluetooth or an MP3 player, why not go for the Garmin Nuvi 250 (€269 Pixmania) which does what you need for less than €300?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

Stick with Garmin - It should come with v9 maps - the next update is due in January 2008

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I would say go for the TOMTOM ONE New Edition GPS V2 , but thats because I have a Go 910 . Its a matter of taste to be honest . Go in and have a try of them all .

All new TomTom's come with V6.75 maps .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Glos

Thanks for replies lads.

Does anyone know for sure if the Nuvi 350 from Pixmania comes with Ver 8 or Ver 9 maps ?

Thanks
    gLo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Glos

For anyone who cares i called Garmin who confirmed that anyone who buys a new Nuvi 350 after May 1 that has v8 maps onboard will be entitled to a free upgrade to v9 maps.
    This is valid until further notice or until v10 maps are available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement