Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anybody reccomend a cheap printer for linux?

• 08-08-2007 3:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

I've just wiped the folks computer and popped on linux (Centos 5). All is grand, except for the printing. Text prints but the graphics are way too dark. On reading forums about the printer (Lexmark Z22) it seems there's no good driver for it. So I'm left with 3 options.

1: Leave it alone. - I'ld like to do that but I'm being pestered.
    2: Buy a cheap printer. It's only for occasional use and the occasional photo so cheap is good.
    3: Reinstall Windows.

Can anybody reccomend a cheap (sub €100) printer that I can pick up from Dabs or Komplett or even Harvey Normans? I've had a look at a few on Komplett but the ones I've looked at only specify Windows or Mac drivers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There's another alternative (fu lexmark) which I have done myself. A windows VM for printing.

Alternatively, HP are the way to go for linux. You can get ones on komplett for < 100 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Before buying, I'd recommend you check the printer database on http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting
    It's a pretty good indicator of how well something will work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Thanks for that Khannie and AndrewMc. When I went to that site I found the foomatic stuff that Khannie was talking about. I thought the fu you were talking about was missing two letters at the end. :)

It looks like I can get this one working though. Anything that saves me forking out money has to be good.

No, I really just did mean "f*** you lexmark" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Khannie wrote:
    There's another alternative (fu lexmark) which I have done myself. A windows VM for printing.

Alternatively, HP are the way to go for linux. You can get ones on komplett for < 100 euro.
    Big time. HP and Epson are Linux friendly. The Epson Stylus R200 is a popular model and works perfectly on Linux.

Be sure to check AndrewMc's link above also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cba looking up if it is a usb printer or not.

by any chance does it emulate another brand of printer or generic postscript type driver ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

tck wrote:

WTH? That's mad!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Khannie wrote:
    WTH? That's mad!!
    Buy one of those UV pens that comes with a blue light. Kids toys for secret messages. Or security markers. Can sometimes find them in the €2 shops.

Print to a large multifunction device in Black and no dots on back of page.
    Print in even a single colour and you see the pattern of dots.

The list is very out of date. Also a lot of printers use the same engines so that's another way of cross checking.

Since they are on the underside I don't know how they get there. I hope it isn't something that uses another drum pass or duplex printing putting more wear on the printer. Must have a look inside sometime to see how it happens.

Advertisement