Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Send Sky+ & DVD to another TV

• 08-08-2007 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

It's no doubt been asked a thousand times and apologies if it has.

I've a TV in the sitting room, with Sky+ and a DVD player.
    I've a PC in the office, loads of DivX movies etc.
    I've just put a TV on a wall in another room (lounge) with nothing only a power socket (smart, I know).

At the very least, I'd like to be able to watch a DVD or a DivX movie in the lounge. Ideally, I'd like to have Sky+ and DVD/PC connectivity at the new TV.

Cat5 cabling is not an option and those wireless video senders are cack!

Please bear with me here - I'm thinking out loud and it may not all make sense.

Could I use those PLT (power line technology) thingys that send Cat5 over home electrical cabling in tandem with those thingys that send audio & video over Cat5? if so, I could send Sky+ from where it terminates to the new TV and also connect the PC to something like the D-Link Media lounge for streaming stuff from the PC.

If that networking lark doesn't work, what are the alternatives?

If I had Sky terminating at the PC, could I technically use two D-Links - one at each TV - to distribute the signal? I'm also aware that I'll only have one Sky service and therefore the same sky Channel on both TV's at the same time.

Surely there must be a slick way of doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

bump - no takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

PLT with a balun won't work. PLT is an ethernet replacement, not a cat 5 replacement. You could do some sort of network video player over the PLT, but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

I think you will need to pull a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

just get a video sender for your sky+ and dvd

there is another device that you can get that will so the same with ur computer.. it's pretty expensive though.. 200 odd euro.. was it in pc world during the week

Advertisement