Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Moon Conspircay Answered Once and for all

Options
  • 08-08-2007 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Was watching the discovery channel or National Geographic over the weekend , this whole "did we land on the moon?" conspiracy was floated again.

Anyway at the end of the show it mentioned that Japan would be in a position to confirm if man did in fact land on the moon when they send a mission capable of mapping the lunar surface in enough detail to be able to identify the remnants of Apollo .... anyone know what this mission is and where there's more info...

Of course even if they do find the artificats folks will be claiming they images are fake etc...anyway it was really interesting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

We landed on the moon. There is no real question.

Most "no landing" believers will allow that we landed something at some time...but will insist that one or more of the manned landings were fake.

None of the claims withstand scrutiny....but the notion persists. From this perspective, I see no reason to believe that detailed images of the lunar surface showing the "leftovers" of the missions would suffice. I can hear the cries of "Photoshop" already.

Simply put, even if you flew the unbelievers to the moon and showed them the stuff in person, they'd probably turn around and say that you can't prove that you only put it there last week and that it in no way proves we landed men on the moon when we say we did.

Oh - and a quick google suggests they're talking about the SELENE mission, although I think it will only do 10m resolution, which would seem a bit low for what you're saying.

The Indian Chandrayan mission will get to 5m resolution.

But still...like I said...as soon as someone has those images, you'll see the myriad explanations of how they prove nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

What about the moon buggy , Selene should be able to pick that up right , or is that 10 mile and not 10 meters , should have asked that first , sorry !

From my understanding of this whole conspiracy thing , the main problem comes from the photos that were taken on the moon , given the cameras they had , the fact that they werent pro photographers , and they had to take the shots in a spacesuit with the equipment they had , well the results are just too good ! That kicked it off right ?

A friend of mine holds the view that , while he believes they went to the moon , those perfect shots werent taken there. He believes they were staged in a warehouse somewhere ? And that its the giveaways on those shots that kicked all this nonsense off !

mathias wrote:
    What about the moon buggy , Selene should be able to pick that up right , or is that 10 mile and not 10 meters , should have asked that first , sorry !

Its 10-metre, but no, the buggy is still too small.

10m resolution means that each individual pixel of an image corresponds to a 10x10m patch of ground.

Have a look at this stuff in google maps

While its not exactly the same, the map-point in Britain is at 15m resolution. Compare to the 2m resolution in Israel, then to the even better resolution at other sites. It'll give you a good appreciation of what the differences are.
    From my understanding of this whole conspiracy thing , the main problem comes from the photos that were taken on the moon , given the cameras they had , the fact that they werent pro photographers , and they had to take the shots in a spacesuit with the equipment they had , well the results are just too good ! That kicked it off right ?

Check out www.clavius.org - perhaps the best site out there for explaining things moon-conspiracy related.

But here's the basic approach...

People say "this picture must be faked" or "that picture must be faked", but thats not enough. Unless every single aspect of the moon-trip can be explained as a fake, then we can't say they didn't go there. If there is one aspect of the mission that can only be explained by "we sent men to the moon", then the conclusion is "we sent men to the moon". Just one. Even if 99.99999% of the evidence could be interpreted to say it was a fake, if that remaining .000001% says "they must have gone there", then they must have gone there.

Take, for example, the simple reality that in order to maintain a signal over a period of 24 hours, multiple nations around the globe were assisting in signal acquisition. Unless each and every one of them was in on it, then they'd have noticed that the signal supposedly coming from the moon was coming from somwhere else. Incidentally, huge amounts of amateurs also acquired the signals. Guess where they found they were coming from?

Take also the laser-reflector set up on the moon. Its doubtful that we could use robots with today's technology to position that accurately enough to work, but its there and its existence is incontrovertible. So who put it there, if not the astronauts?

As for the pics...yes...they most certainly could take pics that good. They took a lot of bad pics as well as good ones. In fact, over the 7 missions, they took something over 5,000 pictures on the moon-surface as far as I recall. In general, while one astronaut was doing stuff, the other was photographing. Constantly. So is it any wonder that they have a number of outstanding shots? I'd be worried if they didn't, frankly, given that number of shots.

They had top-end equipment (Hasselblad, I think) which they were trained to use, and which had been adapted to be usable through their thick-and-clumsy gloves. Again...clavius.org will give you all you need here and probably a hell of a lot more.
    A friend of mine holds the view that , while he believes they went to the moon , those perfect shots werent taken there. He believes they were staged in a warehouse somewhere ? And that its the giveaways on those shots that kicked all this nonsense off !
    Again...clavius.org is the place to point your mate.

Failing that, send him to the conspiracy-theory forum on the BAUT boards system for a nose around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Thanks for that bonkey , Tis printed out and memorised for the pub on Saturday , I'll finally be able to shut him up about that , trouble is its probably back to the 9/11 one now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Cheers for the reply and info Bonkey.

Advertisement