Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you buy cheap asthma inhalers over the internet?

• 08-08-2007 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭

Was in Spain recently and picked up becotide 50 inhalers for 4 euros, I priced them here and they are 14 euros which is a rip off price, plus u need to get a repeat prescription here which will cost u another 10-15 euros from your doctor, was wondering if anyone knows if there is any legit site in spain or other eu countries where u can buy them.

Snake ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pharmacien

Highly unlikely, as it would be illegal

Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Oh well just have to stock up when I'm on Holidays then. One think I did notice is that you can't get the stronger versions of Becotide for example 250 didn't show up on the books over there when I looked for it.
    Another way to reduce down the cost on a couple of inhalers is to get a prescription from a spanish doctor using your EU health card to keep the costs down u then get them for something like 2 euros.

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

it has to be legal. if you get a spanish prescription off a spanish doctor and cash it in spain - then its fair - but to mail order from another jurisdiction is illegal and should not be discussed on boards...... ;)

Gentle caution for future posts in this thread.

Its still a disgrace that we are rightly ripped off here, relation of mine with bad asthma was recommended an inhaler duo something and it costs 120 Euros here, now I know that the most he will pay is 80 euros due to that medicines scheme here, but if he could get it for a lot less in Spain (which I'm not a 100 percent sure he can, I'll check on my next trip) then it would be worthwhile jumping on a cheap flight to spain and bringing a 12 home to last him the year.
    Point taken on the mail order bit Doc ;)

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pharmacien

When it comes to the proprietary brands it's mostly the fault of the drug companies. A lot of the time the pricing is decided on the territory, the condition, and what price they think the market can tolerate.

In order to circumvent this, pharmacies and wholesalers parallel import from Europe. That is buying from wholesalers on the Continent, and importing batches for dispensing here. If you've ever been dispensed tablets, with foreign labelling, overlabelled with an English translation, that's a parallel import. This is legal as the process is overseen by the Irish Medicines Board, and the batches are QP released. The QP ensures the quality/translations/constituents etc etc etc comply with the relevant laws etc. I've never seen a PI beclometh inhaler though

However, the Irish Medicines Board would not give an import licence to a private indivdual. Therefore that's why it's illegal for you to obtain it through the post. On the other hand, if you brought an inhaler back with you from holiday, it would be legal, as it's your own private property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

The irony of the thread title and the username of the thread poster is not lost on me. :D

You lost me there m8? Explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

You lost me there m8? Explain?
    Me too ????
    There are 3 asthmatics in my house and the price of inhalers abroad has never ceased to amaze me. On my last trip to Spain I bought €71 of Becotide and Ventolin for €17 ! Who gets this price difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

I agree - Stock up everytime I know someone going to Spain

The Asthma Society may be able to explain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I stocked up on all my inhalers for free last time I was in the UK thanks (?) to my diabetes then giving me all drugs for free, well prescription ones anyway. Asthma really should be included in the entitlement for the long term illness book in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

There are a LOT of illnesses which should be included in the long term illness book - don't start me!!! ;)

Advertisement