Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another boring Moving House thread!

Options
  • 08-08-2007 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Ok this a saga about moving to a new place where the previous residents had the line transferred to Perlico.

They attempted to port their Perlico services to a new address before moving, but this failed. After hearing that the port failed, I assume they cancelled their direct debits and left the account go delinquent:

Timeline...

Day -3 (3 days before move): Order a new line via eircom.ie.
    Day 1: Enter new house, dial 19800 and hear the dreaded message that Perlico manage this line.
    Day 1: Call Eircom who confirm line is with an another provider and is broadband enabled. Cessation Request #1. Callback promised within 48 hours.
    Day 4: Local Eircom office call to cancel my online order. No further information available apart from, "shure try again in a while."
    Day 4: No callback. New 1901 call and Cessation Request #2. Callback promised within 48 hours.
    Day 4: Letting agent contacts previous tenants who say they have supposedly canceled their affairs with Perlico.
    Day 7: Call Perlico, and told to wait 5 days for a response from the Account Closure dept.
    Day 12: New call to Eircom 1901, Cessation Request #3. Promised action within 24 hours. Nothing happens.
    Day 12:
    Call Perlico. Cessation request has been logged and is subject to 10 days "industry standard wait time" because there is broadband on the line.

Now I'm waiting for Day 17 to get rid of Perlico, so I can:
    - Wait for a new Eircom line (48 hrs)
    - Wait to get my Eircom a/c number in the post (up to 10 days??)
    - Wait to get Smart broadband (14 days??)

I considered getting Digiweb but they have stopped their free installtion. It makes no sense to get an inferior product (wireless) and to pay for the pleasure........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm suprised you called eircom when Perlico are supplying the phone service over the line.

If it's any good to you, I think you can use an ADSL modem using eircom login details and use the broadband before it's cancelled. But I'm unsure if that's legal. Is the line in your name now?

A new line will cost ya €120 odd. Not really worth it for the sake of 2 weeks IMO, but that's your call.

Is it possible to convert the services over to your name without cancelling and re-ordering anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

As much as I'm delighted with my BB from Smart I hope the OP isn't building up their hopes about getting the Smart connection in about 14 days.

I'd be interested to know just how long this step in the process takes the OP. My transfer over was a bit chaotic (to say the least) with Eircom blaming Smart and Smart blaming Eircom. Still, it was well worth the wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

delos wrote:
    As much as I'm delighted with my BB from Smart I hope the OP isn't building up their hopes about getting the Smart connection in about 14 days.

You're getting me worried now.. what's a more realistic schedule?
    I'm on the Castletroy exchange in Limerick, it's Smart enabled, and (anecdotally at least) I know of a good few Smart bb subscribers in the area...

I'm suprised you called eircom when Perlico are supplying the phone service over the line.

I called Eircom in the vain hope that they could flick a switch and rid me of Perlico. Given they [Perlico] left my parents with no phone service for 8 weeks last winter, I have just about the lowest opinion of that shower possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

campers wrote:
    You're getting me worried now.. what's a more realistic schedule?
    I'm on the Castletroy exchange in Limerick, it's Smart enabled, and (anecdotally at least) I know of a good few Smart bb subscribers in the area...
    My own experience involved a wait of just over three weeks for the change over between the Eircom and Smart lines. However I'm in a completely different area (Cork) and it was almost a year ago so I wouldn't draw too much from my experiences. Just be prepared for a slightly longer wait - which hopefully won't happen. I'll just say that for the duration of my time with Smart I have never had a problem with my broadband or billing and my phone had an issue for one day during the Eircom 'business' when I could not receive incoming calls.

It will be worth the wait....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

campers wrote:
    I considered getting Digiweb but they have stopped their free installtion. It makes no sense to get an inferior product (wireless) and to pay for the pleasure........

I'm not sure, who gave you the impression, that wireless is inferior.

Fixed wireless like Digiweb, IBB Breeze and a few others is usually superior to DSL in latency and cheaper in monthly fees.

Also, if you order a new phoneline, Eircom will charge you more for that, than Digiweb will for installation.

/Marlow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I
    Is it possible to convert the services over to your name without cancelling and re-ordering anything?

HA HA...you would think this is possible wouldn't you. I bought a new house and moved in this week. I know the line is BT and has broadband (like I had in my old house). I wanted to keep the service as it matches what I wanted. I rang BT. They said the line is not in my name so they cannot deal with me. Ermmm..the fecking line and phone is in a house I OWN. Sorry sir. The previous owners name is on it and we cannot do anything about that. I ahve to go chasing him down now through the estate agent to get him to sign a change of accoutn name or something. Now to me that is rediculous. What happens if the guy had emmigrated or worse died?

Marlow wrote:
    I'm not sure, who gave you the impression, that wireless is inferior. Fixed wireless like Digiweb, IBB Breeze and a few others is usually superior to DSL in latency...

I'm no expert, but the last time I had IBB Breeze I spent 12 months pinging here-there-and-yonder observing my staggering packet loss. Four or five callouts and three transmitters later, it was still sub-dialup.

Does anyone know where Digiweb's Limerick transmitters are? Is it just Woodcock, or is there one on the south/east of the city?

Advertisement