Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big House

Options
  • 08-08-2007 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Has anybody been to see it? Any good? I'm thinking of bringing a friend from Russia who is in Ireland for a week. Between this and Private Lives at the Gate I thought this might be more interesting for her, seeing as it's her first time in Ireland and it is an Irish play, but at the same time, I want her (and me) to enjoy it too!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

its ok.. the end is a bit odd.. she'd need to know about irish history (basics of catholic and protesants and black and tans IRA etc) its good tho starts funny ends a little odd..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Yeah, we went in the end. I only had to do minimal explaining, which was good. A lot of it was new to me too, as it's from a perspective we don't usually hear about. Ending is weird though!
    It was funny to hear the Anglo Irish in London being compared to the Russian exiles.
    I thought it was very interesting to hear the colonial point of view and how it was assumed that Ireland could not possibly rule itself, especially seeing as this is an assumption made about many countries today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

yeh I did like the whole "from the prot" perspective .. plus I like them it was funny enough.. but the end was a bit whack..

Advertisement