Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumerism gone mad!

Options
  • 08-08-2007 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Friend of mine works in Ipodec out the Dock Road.

They deal mainly with Dell. From the Dell lorries computer parts can be found from time to time that are inadvertently thrown out with the cardboard and plastics.

However, everytime a Lidl or Aldi truck comes in it is packed with their 'Specials' that did not sell. So instead of giving these to one of the 5 or more charity shops on William street they are dumping the stuff.
    I know this is not illegal or anything but it sickens me that this it could be used by someone and at the same time generate funds for some good causes.

As an example last week about 40 (still in packaging) fishing rods, and sack fulls of lures and other equipment were dumped. Basically whatever the recent specials were.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

As shocking as that is and very wasteful to be honest I dont think this is the right forum. then again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

1huge1 wrote:
    As shocking as that is and very wasteful to be honest I dont think this is the right forum. then again...
    I think it is the right forum Co.

The OP has reported on a specific local issue albeit a global problem.

I have no other coment to add except to agree with the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I remember as kids we would go down to the local municipal dump at the weekend(after closing time) and save all sorts .....

I stress 'at the dump face' (awaiting cover the following monday) .... never from any salvage area's ....

I rem one day, as we returned with our collection, we were grabbed by a great big "Polite man" !!!!! ..... :(

he accused us of stealing and threatened all sorts of retribution) .... :eek:

It was great fun and we saved a lot of things that would only have been buried but that was the end of our weekend trips ..... :rolleyes:

And do you know ..... after all these years, I have a 4" Record no.22 cast iron vice that I saved from being buried so many years ago ...... it has been with me where ever I have lived and is in perfect working order to this day ..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had a 10 year old Sony television recently that died on me. The replacement part for would only have cost about €40 to fix it. The television was perfect otherwise but it became was too large and awkward for our new house.

I was replacing it with a LCD television and rang St Vincent's De Paul asking them if they wanted it as it was a shame to dump a television that only needed a small repair, if someone not so well off wanted it. They told me that they would have no use for it as nobody wanted these televisions these days and it would only be in their way.

I reluctantly gave it to the shop where I bought the LCD TV and they dumped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I think it is the right forum Co.

The OP has reported on a specific local issue albeit a global problem.

I have no other coment to add except to agree with the OP.
    Ya I thought about that, thats why I added 'then again...'

sorry op

• Advertisement
Advertisement