Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kappa-ya closed?

Options
  • 08-08-2007 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

If you don't know Kappa-ya click here.

Anyway, I generally go in there maybe once every couple of weeks or so, get my little fix of Japanese food. And I was going to go in there on my birthday (31st of July) to get grub, but it was closed. I was going to go in the following thursday, but again, closed. So I kinda figured they were closed for Race Week. But alas, Monday came, and it was still closed, so I figured, bank holiday, no need to worry. But yesterday, I saw a sign on the door saying "Closed for the month of August" and I nearly broke down and screamed "KHAAAN!"

Anyone know what's up here? I'm hoping to god it ain't serious and they'll be back open come September. I've always said that Galway desperately needed a Japanese resteraunt, and it'd be a serious shame if they closed down for good.

Also, a lot of my threads seem to be about food lately. Hmm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Dunno, but whenever I've gone there, it was full/near full, so I don't think it's because of lack of business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Is that the little sushi place on Middle St? Me and the missus have been trying to go there for ages but the opening hours are mysteriously limited for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They're usually open 12-6 at least, and then they do dinner til 8 m(bookings a week in advance, apparently), if I remember. I've never had a problem with their opening hours.

Anyway, I am likewise upset to see it closed so long. So much so that a friend and I made our own sushi on Monday. I could be wrong, but I seem to have the memory of them closing for about a month in the past as well.

If you're out there, Kappa-ya owners, please open up again soon, I need my sushi fix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The owner used to run a sushi stand in the Saturday market, and sold them to shops around town as well. As far as I know she used that to finance the superb kappa ya restaurant. However, she is somewhat idiosyncratic, and can and will open whenever it suits her. A restaurant that only opens during office hours? Indeed! Seems to be working though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I remember a couple of the oriental restauraunts used to close down for a month a a time.

Maybe she's gone home on holidays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I guess she doesn't really need the money since she is closed evenings and weekends but has a city centre rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

There's always been something odd going on with that place. I think they've had problems with their alcohol license before too.

TBH, I think the sushi is lovely but the rest of the food isn't great in comparison to some other Japanese places I've eaten...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 triblex

there's a note 'close down for august'
    suppose to take break from the races on
    they open 12-6 but also have special dinner service available but quite dear

tbh i fancy the french waitress more than the sushi down there...those sushi r lovely, but she's lovelier:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

triblex wrote:
    there's a note 'close down for august'

And I mentioned that in my original post on the subject. ;)

• Advertisement

so let's keep each other posted:D

re-open shortly:D

triblex wrote:
    re-open shortly:D

How shortly is shortly?

How shortly is shortly?
    October second. :D

And Kappa Ya opened on schedule on the 2nd. No French chick, alas, but the Japanese owner has got a nice new hairdo.

Aye, I was in there when it opened. Sad to see prices had gone up, but it was a damn good meal.

Advertisement