Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3-series question...

Options
  • 08-08-2007 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

......because I'm lazy, and I know that other people know in their heads........can you tell me bhp/torque/very approx mpg of an 01 3-series coupe with the following engines.......and have I the cc's right??

318 (1.9 4-pot)
    320 (2.2? 6-pot)
    323 (2.5? 6-pot)
    325 (2.? 6-pot)

TIA

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I know you said you are lazy but just go to www.parkers.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I think:

318 = 118 Bhp
    320 = 170 Bhp
    323 = 170ish Bhp (superceded by the twin vanos 2.2l 320)
    325 = 190 Bhp (2.5l)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Lazy:

318 (1.9 4-pot) 118bhp
    320 (2.2? 6-pot) 170bhp
    323 (2.5? 6-pot) 190bhp
    325 (2.? 6-pot) 200+??

I have the 320. Man is it a sweet engine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

325 was a 2.5.

318 (the 2L version) was 143 bhp.

The 320 was 150bhp - very heavy car and very underpowered although the E46 320 engine does sound pretty nice.

The 323 was 170 bhp (now gone) and the 325 was 192 bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

318 - depends. 1.9 118bhp was replaced by 2.0 143bhp late '01. Both 4-pot, not BMW's core competency ;)

All others mentioned are straight 6

320 - 2.2l 170bhp (0-100km/h in 8s) This engine replaced the 2.0l 150bhp in '00

323 - there's no such thing as an '01 323. The 2.5l 323 was replaced by the 2.5l 325 in '00

325 - 2.5 192bhp (0-100km/h in 7s)
    MarkN wrote:
    The 320 was 150bhp - very heavy car and very underpowered

See above. The '01 320 is pretty damn quick. The older one is a lot more sedate with 0-100km/h in 10s and less power / torque compared to the 2.2l. In fact, it is slower than the 2.0l 4 pot 318 mentioned above

Very fecking confusing, those model numbers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I can attest to the 01 320's oomph. Plenty of poke on the motorways and around town. I took it to France last year and it ate up the KM on the autoroutes (most of the time in the overtaking lane with the indicator on hehe).

A few weeks ago I hired an E90 320d in Spain (it might have been a 318d (wasn't badged) but they're both 2 litre 4-pots) and damned if it wasn't very smooth to drive. Plenty of poke for a 4 pot (me being used to the 6) but the kicker was I was getting around 5.6 l/100km (~50mpg) at ~130km/h (no cruise control!) on the autopista and about 7 l/100km (40 mpg) around town.

Unkel there was deffo a 323 in 2001. I nearly bought one a few years ago! A guy I know owned it at the time, it was navy, had a lovely BMW kit on it and some sort of graphite coloured BMW wheels with grey leather and it looked the business. Now whether it was lying around somewhere before it was registered, I do not know but it had a 2001 plate on it.

Back on the 320i - it's really a matter of opinion I guess. I drove a 2005 320ci only last weekend and compared to my car it was not fast. Personally, I wouldn't consider a car that takes over 8 seconds to get to 60 as fast. I think they're nice cars, they sound lovely but an M3 they are not. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

MarkN wrote:
    Unkel there was deffo a 323 in 2001. I nearly bought one a few years ago! A guy I know owned it at the time, it was navy, had a lovely BMW kit on it and some sort of graphite coloured BMW wheels with grey leather and it looked the business. Now whether it was lying around somewhere before it was registered, I do not know but it had a 2001 plate on it.

Back on the 320i - it's really a matter of opinion I guess. I drove a 2005 320ci only last weekend and compared to my car it was not fast. Personally, I wouldn't consider a car that takes over 8 seconds to get to 60 as fast. I think they're nice cars, they sound lovely but an M3 they are not. :-)

Yes but it looks great, 6 cyl engine, rwd and so on. Getting from 0-60 in less than 8 seconds wouldnt be a priority for me personally. With traffic in Dublin in particular and a heavier garda presence on the roads (ie penalty points) is a very fast car highly desirable? A minority of people will be impressed with speed with most people it will be looks as lets face it your average person wouldnt have a clue what the difference is between say a 320 and a 330 or in your case an A3 or an S3.

Couldn't agree with you more Omega - on both points.

I just think some people need to experience fast cars and then you won't find someone claiming a car with 170 bhp is fast. In a Nissan Micra, it would be fast, in a heavy BMW, it's not. Maybe it's the Irish 1.4 car attitude that we've all been reared on :p

MarkN wrote:
    Now whether it was lying around somewhere before it was registered, I do not know but it had a 2001 plate on it

That might very well be it
    MarkN wrote:
    Personally, I wouldn't consider a car that takes over 8 seconds to get to 60 as fast

Pretty high standard there :)

I'd say more than 99% of people will never accelerate a car from 0-100km/h in under 8s
    MarkN wrote:
    Maybe it's the Irish 1.4 car attitude that we've all been reared on :p

He he, maybe :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

unkel wrote:
    .....4-pot, not BMW's core competency ;) .....

What about the original and, for some people, still the best M3 ;)

The E46 325ci was released in late 2000 (I have one of the first) there were a good few 2001 E46 323ci as a result of phasing the 325ci in.

Richie.

richie_rvf wrote:
    What about the original and, for some people, still the best M3 ;)

You got me there :)

Advertisement