Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/Chorus (UPC) Traffic Shaping on Torrents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

No you do not need to forward any ports, infact there is pretty much nothing that you can change on the modem. And you cannot ditch the modem either that modem's mac address has been enabled by NTL, if you try and get a different cable modem it will have a different address and so you will not be able to get BB at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What's the benefit to portforwarding? Is there a simple guide around explaining how to do it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

silvine wrote: »
    What's the benefit to portforwarding? Is there a simple guide around explaining how to do it?

This is what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding
    This is how to set it up: http://www.portforward.com/

:)

Great thanks. My internet connection generally runs near full speed so I'm guessing it's already setup.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Great thanks. My internet connection generally runs near full speed so I'm guessing it's already setup.

its nothing to do with your internet connection per-say and is more to do with what applications you use on it, for example normally...if your using as router you'll need to forward ports used by bittorrent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

My Bitlord settings:

Global max upload and download set to unlimited.
    Max simultaneous downlaods: 10
    Listen Port: 17746
    Proxy Type: No Proxy
    Firewall/Nat Connection: Enabled.
    UPNP port mapping: Enabled
    Port reporting to IP tracker: Enabled
    IP filer file: enabled.
    Max sessions per ip for downloading: 3
    Max sessions per ip for uploading: 1

Everything else in Bitlord is is set to auto. I am operating behind Comodo firewall.

Wireless Mode: G
    Security encryption: 64 bit
    UPNP: Turned on
    MAC address: use this address only
    Port forwarding: no

Thanks dude...

Currently downloading at 200KB + speeds with these settings...

I use Bitlord which works fine and Xbox Live which could be a bit quicker (for downloads, grand for games). I also use newsgroups which nearly max out my connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I use Bitlord which works fine and Xbox Live which could be a bit quicker (for downloads, grand for games). I also use newsgroups which nearly max out my connection.

Xbox Live downloads are always slow IMO. Even when everything else flies on my connection they go pretty slowly.

Its Ms problem not NTL's.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Its 00:20 on Saturday morning, I'm thinkin I'll download a live install of the new Fedora 9, should be really quick and I should get 700k/sec from Hea. (6Mbits)
    So I kick off my download and all I get is 100k/sec.
    I also have Eircom BB (Currently trying to figure out how to cancel UPC), so I run a download on that, walla 314k/sec, which is almost 3Mbits, what I'd expect.
    Also I had to switch over to Eircom eirlier today to watch Channel4's streaming video, on UPC it kept mysteriously crashing out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Is that 4onDemand you're talking about?

That runs on a P2P platform doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CrazyMel

Hi! Would anyone recommend a broadband provider? I have no phone line. I also would be willing to pay €60.00 a month but dont know which is the best to use dont want to sign a Contract for a year unless i have some positive feedback of ppl.. Chorus seems to be the best but not sure as there is also digiweb, irishbroad etc.

If ye wouldnt mind would some one get to back to me.. Cheers and Thanks biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ak_ka

NTL is not shaping torrent traffic to my knowledge.

It's just matter of configuring stuff properly on your own pc/router and using fast private trackers.

I had 6 MB/s NTL and was pulling approx. 700 KB/s rock steady nearly everytime, just savage stuff :) On few occasions dropped to 200-300 KB/s only to come back to 700 in few mins.
    Pulling 15 Gigz just over one night was piece of cake :p

But was only using quality torrent sites with huge seeds, like SC, TL, FL, PT, RR - if those shorts don't ring any bell to ya, then forget what I'm talking about - means u shouldn't know it then hehe :o
    If you tend to use crap trackers then don't wonder you have crap speedz and you blame ntl shaping traffics hehe.

Now I moved the house and don't have NTL in this area, hooked up with 3G broadband and I'm sick of this crap now (sometimes it's ok but only for www browsing, forget movies streaming or downloading...).

Hope I can get my sweet NTL back soon when available :)

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

ak_ka wrote: »
    NTL is not shaping torrent traffic to my knowledge.

It's just matter of configuring stuff properly on your own pc/router and using fast private trackers.

I had 6 MB/s NTL and was pulling approx. 700 KB/s rock steady nearly everytime, just savage stuff :) On few occasions dropped to 200-300 KB/s only to come back to 700 in few mins.
    Pulling 15 Gigz just over one night was piece of cake :p

But was only using quality torrent sites with huge seeds, like SC, TL, FL, PT, RR - if those shorts don't ring any bell to ya, then forget what I'm talking about - means u shouldn't know it then hehe :o
    If you tend to use crap trackers then don't wonder you have crap speedz and you blame ntl shaping traffics hehe.

Now I moved the house and don't have NTL in this area, hooked up with 3G broadband and I'm sick of this crap now (sometimes it's ok but only for www browsing, forget movies streaming or downloading...).

Hope I can get my sweet NTL back soon when available :)

cheers

You need to read the rest of the thread, they are defenitly blocking torrents. Its only effecting some areas. So you will get people that are okay.
    If they were'nt blocking then we wouldn't have such a massive amount of replys to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CrazyMel

Hi, So your sayin the best one is Chorus Ntl? Sweet will order today thanks!! might need more advice later to configure the router! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

ive had ntl for the last few weeks,had a problem and reinstalled vista,im using kapersky 7 with windows firewall and specific ports for azureus open on router and firewall,using plain encryption in azureus and have both the port options in encryption ticked,from today ive been downloading at 1mb-1.2mb all day,so maybe there not throttling in my area !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just as well I read this thread.I was just about to give Upc the go ahead for their 6mb BB and phone package.

Anyone know if theyre throttling torrents in Maynooth??

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

my install date is next thursday, ive gone for 12mb and ill post the speedtest results uphere then and also let everyone know about any throttling .
    dublin swords area.

currently
    275004858.png

but it was rubbish last night, couldnt play online games as ping was so bad, complained about this over 2 months ago. Nothing was done about it as the dl speed was ok, they didnt care, so now im gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

ordering 6mb ntl soon (maybe!) terenure area, are torrents slow/useless with this service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've yet to be convinced that this is done across their network.

I think if they are doing it and they probably are, that it is only on exchanges where it is affecting other users (or where users are really taking the p*ss) and then it gets throttled down to 30KB/s.

In some areas, it appears to be a combination of poorly seeded torrents on public trackers and poor routers (usually supplied by NTL).

ok, so here it is, just installed.the guys have just left.

277309908.png

now to test for any throttling. ill report back.

hmm, ok i managed to do the glasnost full test.
    this is what it gave me.
    Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 13 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 8451 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (4711) throttled?

The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

Your ISP possibly rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP uploads achieved minimal 21 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved maximal 3 Kbps. You can find details here.

The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 13 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 13 Kbps. You can find details here.

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 21 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 21 Kbps. You can find details here.

• Advertisement

in more detail
    Detailed test results:
    Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

Completed BitTorrent and TCP transfers using the BitTorrent port 6881:
    Transfer Speed TCP Speed BitTorrent Conclusion
    Download #0 13 Kbps 8451 Kbps No rate limiting

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (4711) throttled?

Completed BitTorrent and TCP transfers using the non-BitTorrent port 4711:
    Transfer Speed TCP Speed BitTorrent Conclusion
    Upload #0 21 Kbps 3 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Note that it is hard to detect rate limiting and that there are many explanations why a transfer can observe lower throughput than another transfer. We run the BitTorrent and TCP transfer back-to-back and at least two times to add more confidence to our measurements.

so it looks ok on standard port 6881, up and down
    but up is completely throttled/blocked on non standard port for uploads!
    maybe this explains why some have experienced bad torrent speeds.

change your port.

off to try my own real test now.

so its slow for torrents? is this the case in all areas?

just called upc to get their dns addresses,
    they wouldnt give them to me.
    "they asked why do you want them?
    for gaming?"

yeah, i say
    i just want to set up a static ip.

"we dont support gaming"

what?

"you cant set up a static ip"

on and on it went for 15 mins.

then she gave me a number to another company not affiliated with upc at all to get this done...complete buulllshiit!

so does anyone know upc dns address??

can they keep this from us????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

earlyapex wrote: »
    just called upc to get their dns addresses,
    they wouldnt give them to me.
    "they asked why do you want them?
    for gaming?"

yeah, i say
    i just want to set up a static ip.

"we dont support gaming"

what?

"you cant set up a static ip"

on and on it went for 15 mins.

then she gave me a number to another company not affiliated with upc at all to get this done...complete buulllshiit!

so does anyone know upc dns address??

can they keep this from us????

ipconfig on the command line will show you the dns servers you are using. NTL will not give you a static ip if your just a normal user. It only comes with the more expensive packages.

For example in work here we have two external ip addresses (static) so employees can connect to the system to check email etc. The static ip means the address never changes for the users.

ah hes not misleading me, im usiing the supplied netgear router, had ports forwarded, ensryption on etc.etc.

uploads are bolloxxed so it cant work well for me,
    and good for you that it works.

bye now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

This isn't a p2p forum. Get a grip please.

so eh... if you like torrents, dont order ntl is that it? are digiweb metro any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

heggie wrote: »
    so eh... if you like torrents, dont order ntl is that it? are digiweb metro any better?

I don't know about digiweb but smart don't throttle and there are no caps. Perhaps the best for people who want to download torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Posts above deleted.

If either of you continue that conversation you'll be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

ipconfig on the command line will show you the dns servers you are using. NTL will not give you a static ip if your just a normal user. It only comes with the more expensive packages.

For example in work here we have two external ip addresses (static) so employees can connect to the system to check email etc. The static ip means the address never changes for the users.

Well if you knew anything your attidude suggests you do, you'd also know that a very basic nature of the NTL shows that its a dynamic network i.e no staic ip addresses for you buddy, its all dynamic ip's so you'll never have one no matter how much you pay.
    Please use the same curtosy on the phone with those people as you'd like yourself, dont think you'd apprechiate someone speaksing to your sister or mother with the same regard as you do.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement