Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/Chorus (UPC) Traffic Shaping on Torrents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I'm with the 12meg line over a month now.

I was a fairly heavy torrent user, but I've just moved onto Rapidshare - theres plenty of rapidshare forums out there that operated simular to torrent sites.

Its a win-win - aside from the few bob for a premium Rapidshare account, it's direct download - none of the laboured waiting for torrent to stream down.

I assume NTL can't effect the regular download transfer of Rapidshare files.

Just my 2 cents - works great for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

But why limit torrents at all if you can just use rapidshare?

Is it just the number of connections torrent users make to other peers or whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

brim4brim wrote: »

Is it just the number of connections torrent users make to other peers or whats the story?

My thougths exactly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

Can anybody in the Cabinteely/Loughlinstown area of Dublin 18 tell me if they are affected by traffic shaping or ports being blocked.

I'm moving into an apartment in Tullyvale and i'll be looking for a new broadband provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

brim4brim wrote: »

maybe its because torrents rely heavily on upload,as opposed to rapidshare which only downloads without the need to constantly upload

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mollser

Can anybody in the Cabinteely/Loughlinstown area of Dublin 18 tell me if they are affected by traffic shaping or ports being blocked.

I'm moving into an apartment in Tullyvale and i'll be looking for a new broadband provider.

Am in Leopardstown and was a great moaner of torrents for the last year - however, the last month or so i'm maxing out speeds a lot, i think they've lifted whatever restrictions they had, working like a dream now, just like the old days!:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

delllat wrote: »
    maybe its because torrents rely heavily on upload,as opposed to rapidshare which only downloads without the need to constantly upload

rapidshare and bittorrent are different types of network traffic on different ports, there's a much wider selection of content available via bittorrent also and it accounts for a much much larger percentage of internet traffic then anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

tbh there isnt alot more available on torrents :)

if anything top private rapidshare forums have WAY more content and everything u cud try and find from the last 8 or so years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

nuxxx wrote: »
    tbh there isnt alot more available on torrents :)

if anything top private rapidshare forums have WAY more content and everything u cud try and find from the last 8 or so years :pac:

except for the fact that links die rather quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Never had an issue.
    When I was using the 6mb UPC BB I was regularly getting 600-700kbs speeds.
    Depends on what I was downloading really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

except for the fact that links die rather quickly.

not as fast as you would think. im a mod on a rapidshare forum and i dont have to delete that many threads too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Quick question:
    Can NTL users only use the router provided or is there any chance you can use an DSL router as I just bought a Netgear router not too long ago?
    I'm thinking of changing to NTL but I use torrents a lot

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Antamojo wrote: »
    Quick question:
    Can NTL users only use the router provided or is there any chance you can use an DSL router as I just bought a Netgear router not too long ago?
    I'm thinking of changing to NTL but I use torrents a lot

You can use any router you want, however it must be able to work with a cable modem (ala not a ADSL router :) )

NTL are unlikely to help you setting any router up but any router will work when configured correctly,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dean12345

hi,i was wondering if anyone is using bitcomet to download torrents because for some reason the torrents wont download.the maximum speed i got while downloading with ntl was 5kb:eek:(im on the 20mbps package).before i was on eircoms 1mbps and i was able to download at 100kb.anyone any suggestions on how to fix this? thanx

dean12345 wrote: »
    hi,i was wondering if anyone is using bitcomet to download torrents because for some reason the torrents wont download.the maximum speed i got while downloading with ntl was 5kb:eek:(im on the 20mbps package).before i was on eircoms 1mbps and i was able to download at 100kb.anyone any suggestions on how to fix this? thanx

Have you forwarded your ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dean12345

Cabaal wrote: »
    Have you forwarded your ports?

how would i do that?:confused:

dean12345 wrote: »
    how would i do that?:confused:

http://portforward.com/
    and read your torrent clients help file

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redhomey

I think encrypted transfers are throttled when uploading.
    Never get more than 30kbps for ssh/scp transfers.

And find the same with p2p uploads on non standard ports (properly forwarded).

I do get full download bandwidth off-peak encrypted though.

Strongly considering a rapidshare account at this point all though rtorrent has served me well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

redhomey wrote: »
    I think encrypted transfers are throttled when uploading.
    Never get more than 30kbps for ssh/scp transfers.

And find the same with p2p uploads on non standard ports (properly forwarded).

I do get full download bandwidth off-peak encrypted though.

Strongly considering a rapidshare account at this point all though rtorrent has served me well.

I've tried to re-configure my router for port forward and selected a few different ports, but still getting rubbish download speeds.

I'm seriously consider cancelling altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

ok this is driving me mad! I have forwarded the ports on my router and when i connect my pc directly to the router via cable torrents are working. however if i connect via a wifi usb adapter they don't work at all. im getting 0kb/s download. any ideas about what im doing wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah, when connecting wirelessly you'd be assigned a different IP address on the wireless adapter than you would if you were cabled in, the router's trying to forward the ports to an address that doesn't exist on the network.

No way around this unfortunately, you'll have to reconfigure the router with the different addresses every time. Unless you set the same IP address staticly on both adaptors as you wouldn't really be using both at the same time anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I'm have a 6mb NTL connection, I was getting rubish speeds, I then sorted out a static IP and forwarded my ports but I am stil getting max 60kb/s

Anyone have any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Neilthefunkee1

Just got my upgrade to the 10mb package.. i was on the 3mb.. was using Vuze but it seemed crap, was taking 5-6 hours to get a film(700mb). I downloaded UTorrent as i though it might have been vuze.. Just over the weeken i was getting between 200-400kbps. Now i was fairly happy with this.. But i should be getting way more right??? i have my ports forwarded and such! But i was getting a film in under an hour so was happy enough!

Nice one to NTL for the free upgrades..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Torrent speeds are very dependant on the rest of the cloud. Poorly seeded torrents will never get great speeds. For test purposes find something with a huge amount of seeders, probably an ubuntu or other linux iso and try and download that for a while and see what kind of speeds you can get up to.

Well I will try utorrent because I have been using vuze

Hopefully that will sort my problems out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mollser

Well I will try utorrent because I have been using vuze

Hopefully that will sort my problems out

always got terrible performance with Vuze, utorrent was better but I find the BitTorrent software (remarkably like utorrent) with encryption turned on is very consistent provided there's a decent amount of seeders

Em, I would like to report that I downloaded u torrent and at first I did not notice the difference. I then turned on the encryption and it worked a charm.

This has not fixed the problem, I hae gotten 100kb/s a second and that is a huge improvement but it doesn't seem to be a steady connection as I now am getting 40kb/s.

Also I would suggest utorrent for anyone as it takes up less than half the memory to run

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

mollser wrote: »
    always got terrible performance with Vuze, utorrent was better but I find the BitTorrent software (remarkably like utorrent) with encryption turned on is very consistent provided there's a decent amount of seeders
    The official bittorrent client is actually just a branded version of uTorrent afaik.

stevenmu wrote: »
    The official bittorrent client is actually just a branded version of uTorrent afaik.

Certainly wasn't years back unless this is a recent change

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

BitTorrent bought uTorrent a year or two ago.

I didn't know about the official client being a rebranded version now but it wouldn't surprise me. The original client was ****e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement