Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/Chorus (UPC) Traffic Shaping on Torrents?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CuLT wrote:
    Heh, give me your box's IP and we'll see just how well you've set it up :p

Not to mention if you want to get the best performance. rTorrent and Torrget are fantastic combination that basically automates the entire process. I'm sure we could have a great thread about the best tools... but is is indeed another thread

I'd rather not, although the box is patched to the last and I've done some other little "fix's" here and there since so I'm pretty sure its safe enough ;)

Agreed about another thread, as you said how to's are great and all but from my own experience they don't cover alot of things and I learned alot from friends in relation to best stuff to use and best way to config stuff, would love a ultimate how to thread somewhere,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks guys for explaining newsgroups to me. For most ot them do you need an account?? Or do you have to pay in some way?

There are a number of sites that offer paid access to usenet, generally speaking this is the best option if you want access to binary groups

Generally speaking most ISP's provide you with a usenet server address you can use to access usenet in the likes of outlook or thunderbird, its normally in the form of news.ISP.com, so for example Ireland On-Lines news server is news.iol.ie.

Generally speaking the selection of binary groups on ISP's servers are poor (if thats what your looking for) but they do give access to the likes of ie.comp, ie.general and hundreds of thousands of alt.* groups.

If you just want to have a look at what usenet is like I suggest use your ISP's news server or use Google groups :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah I am interested in this, Never knew it was a different way of using the internet. Your on NTL too arnt you? Can you tell me how to get to ntl's one if they have one?

I have outlook express can it be done with that?

Yeah I am interested in this, Never knew it was a different way of using the internet. Your on NTL too arnt you? Can you tell me how to get to ntl's one if they have one?

I have outlook express can it be done with that?

I'm on NTL but to be honest I've not used usenet in sometime, I'd imagine its news.ntl.ie...you could check there website or the settings you were given when you signed up.

Outlook express will allow you to use it but its not really the best client to use, again I don't use outlook either so couldn;t tell you how to setup newsgroups through that...generally its tools > accounts or something like that...if memory serves me right.

Google is your friend for this, plenty of how to's if you do a search

OK thanks man :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭stanley1

Forte Agent, been using it a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

Cabaal, I am a Cisco CCNP, Checkpoint certified and various other networking/firewall certifications that are too numerous to mention.

I have been working in various networking roles for the last 10 years.

I am also involved in a WISP.

I have probably have forgotten more about networking/firewalls etc than most people here will probably ever know.

So, I dont need to be told to read up about how bittorrent works and ports etc etc.

I will probably get chastised for not posting some more noe but some of the stuff I read on here, doesn't really intice me to.
    I prefer to keep my thoughts and advise to other technical forums rather than waste my time here.

P.S. I will now await the deluge of "nit picking" posts that shall follow where people shall highlight one line of this post and elaborate for 2 paragraphs on it.
    Good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't want to hi-jack this thread with my problem, but if someone could have a look at this and help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055124987
    Similar to the newsgroup thingy alread mentioned.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

eoinok wrote:
    Cabaal, I am a Cisco CCNP, Checkpoint certified and various other networking/firewall certifications that are too numerous to mention.

I have been working in various networking roles for the last 10 years.

I am also involved in a WISP.

I have probably have forgotten more about networking/firewalls etc than most people here will probably ever know.

So, I dont need to be told to read up about how bittorrent works and ports etc etc.

I will probably get chastised for not posting some more noe but some of the stuff I read on here, doesn't really intice me to.
    I prefer to keep my thoughts and advise to other technical forums rather than waste my time here.

P.S. I will now await the deluge of "nit picking" posts that shall follow where people shall highlight one line of this post and elaborate for 2 paragraphs on it.
    Good night.
    That's splendid, though unfortunately it means absolutely nothing when it comes to you talking out of your arse about the legality of using the bittorrent protocol.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

CuLT wrote:
    That's splendid, though unfortunately it means absolutely nothing when it comes to you talking out of your arse about the legality of using the bittorrent protocol.
    :D:D:D

Well Said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

Ok, one last more time on this......

Who do people here think they are trying to kid by standing up for bittorrent? Yes it is legal, yes it can be legally used to download legally available software but when was the last time that anyone used it to down download anything other than pirated games/software/moves/mp3's etc? If someone replies to this saying they use to download legally availabe stuff yada yada yada, go look at yourself in the mirror and say it again.....

I put it to you like this lads (and lassies). I will give you a real life example. In the WISP that I am involved in, we had a nice steady average usage of 4Mbps one night in the early days. Turned off p2p shaping and this usage went up to 28Mbps instantly :eek:
    Let me tell you, it was turned back on pretty sharpish.
    I would now be actually afraid to turn if off again now in case steam starts coming out of our radio gear.

So, now you have a choice. Will I turn off p2p shaping and your "perfectly legal" p2p traffic will really be flying and you will be happy. Then try the likes of http://www.rte.ie/news and it will be dog slow and you will be on here then hissing and moaning that your bebo's etc are slow to load.
    I will turn on p2p shaping then and "surfing" will go back to being fine but your "torrents" will be slow and you will be on here moaning about that.

So, as an ISP, you are damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Now, must go off and do something more constructive with my day then posting paragraphs on here which will just be torn apart bit by bit and everyline discected and analysed....... I know what I will do, I will go throttleing some more torrents.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

eoinok wrote:

Who do people here think they are trying to kid by standing up for bittorrent? Yes it is legal, yes it can be legally used to download legally available software but when was the last time that anyone used it to down download anything other than pirated games/software/moves/mp3's etc? If someone replies to this saying they use to download legally availabe stuff yada yada yada, go look at yourself in the mirror and say it again.....

I put it to you like this lads (and lassies). I will give you a real life example. In the WISP that I am involved in, we had a nice steady average usage of 4Mbps one night in the early days. Turned off p2p shaping and this usage went up to 28Mbps instantly :eek:
    I would now be actually afraid to turn if off again now in case steam starts coming out of our radio gear.

So, now you have a choice. Will I turn off p2p shaping and your "perfectly legal" p2p traffic will really be flying and you will be happy. Then try the likes of http://www.rte.ie/news and it will be dog slow and you will be on here then hissing and moaning that your bebo's etc are slow to load.
    I will turn on p2p shaping then and "surfing" will go back to being fine but your "torrents" will be slow and you will be on here moaning about that.

Now, must go off and do something more constructive with my day then posting paragraphs on here which will just be torn apart bit by bit and everyline discected and analysed....... I know what I will do, I will go throttleing some more torrents.....

People use it all the time to download Linux distro's and other large files from Open Source projects and the like. Just because you don't use it all the time, does not mean other people aren't.

Bittorrent is an incredibly good idea with a bad reputation.

eoinok wrote:

Look, I like most other people here who use torrents are not thick :rolleyes:
    I relaise that if I have torrents/downloads running in the background @ 80 - 90 % of my bandwith that the browsing WILL be slower.

But I am never going to need 2MB + speeds to just browse.
    I would like to be able to fully utilise the speed that was advertised.
    And It's my business what I do with it :D

What's going to happen next? PAYG Phone Customers not allowed to use their phones @ peak times to keep the network free for "Normal" Bill Pay???....

Mik

CuLT wrote:

Agreed,

Don't get me wrong, good job eoinok for obtaining all those certs but it doesn't change that you posted was incorrect
    :)

eoinok wrote:

Hmm ok, you've never played World Of Warcraft have you?
    While I don't personally play it its one of the most popular on-line games in the world and guess what? Yep you guessed it, it uses bittorrent to distribute updates for the game :)

Also as for other uses, its one of the best way of obtaining large files such as legal movies and Linux ISO's,

I'm not saying its not used for copyright material but it is used for many legit reasons as well, again bittorrent.com in the US is a very very good example.

Again I won't argue that it doesn't use alot of bandwidth, hell in general it accounts for the majority of any ISP's bandwidth usage. But again if an ISP sells you a service with a 40GB cap and you want to download 30GB of that via bittorrent how is this illegal?

If they don;t want you using 40GB in a month then perhaps they should market there product with a lower cap or like some ISP's in the UK recommend that you download large files at night

[

Oh just to let ya know,
    I have changed settings as recommended and am getting d/l speeds of 200kB/s + now

Cheers :D

Mik

Do you mean you have changed to port 80??? Wouldnt that slow down your browsing terribly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

brim4brim wrote:
    I use Utorrent on port 80 with encrypted conection. Works fine and seems to get round any restrictions that IBB have put on torrents.

Hi sorry to resurect this thread. Do I just go to: options -> speed guide.

at present there are 3 things it tells me about. Number 2) tells me my current port is 41677. Do I just change this number to 80?

have used option 3) to encrypt and it has improved but still not the kind of download speed I was getting before.

sorry if this is a very stupid question, I am a complete retard when it comes to all things technilogical!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 johnnyrafter

eoinok wrote:

mmmm Thats fine............if you make sure your customers know this in advance.
    Warnerbros and the BBC have started selling episodes on torrent sites now

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/12/21/BBC_goes_torrent It reminds me of eircom saying in 2000 about people not wanting boardband.... Maybe us irish just dont want torrents........yeah right!!!!

at present there are 3 things it tells me about. Number 2) tells me my current port is 41677. Do I just change this number to 80?

have used option 3) to encrypt and it has improved but still not the kind of download speed I was getting before.

sorry if this is a very stupid question, I am a complete retard when it comes to all things technilogical!!!!

Yep that works but it will slow down your browsing speeds.
    I'm getting downloads over 300kB/s now :D

• Advertisement

I think you have to go to options> Preferences>Connection and then change the listening port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

dub45 wrote:
    Have you checked their terms and conditions and other policies?

Why would anyone waste their time doing that? They can change them when they want to what they want.

To be honest, anyone who signs up for any service without reading the Terms & Conditions is a fool.

If you land yourself in a ackward situation by breaking them be it due to over use or trying to cancel within your contract then you only have yourself to blame :)

Cabaal wrote:
    To be honest, anyone who signs up for any service without reading the Terms & Conditions is a fool.

If you land yourself in a ackward situation by breaking them be it due to over use or trying to cancel within your contract then you only have yourself to blame :)

True, but it's all fine giving you a limit and then giving you no way of checking it.
    Am I supposed to guess* when I have reached my limit?

Mik

I do know you can download programs to monitor usage, but chorus don't know i know that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

So, what the story with Chours

1) Does it apply torrent traffic shaping

2) Is their download limits enforced

Im planning to move over to chours from UTV but I want to be sure its a good service first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

eventho I tried what was suggested above I am now struggling to get 5kbs!!!

DinoBot wrote:
    So, what the story with Chours

1) Does it apply torrent traffic shaping

2) Is their download limits enforced

Im planning to move over to chours from UTV but I want to be sure its a good service first.

Havent you read all of the Chorus/NTL threads here?? At the moment ,no , I would not call their service good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

My only problem with the throttling of torrents atm is that it literally slows em to a pathetic crawl. While i can understand that ISPs have bandwith issues to consider my bone with NTL is that theyve killed the speeds too hard. I wouldnt mind speeds of 80kb/s or so on a torrent at least u can get most files within reasonable time but killin the speeds to the likes of 0-20 kb/s is lame i cant even get the likes of fansubs at a decent rate cos of the throttlin -.-. I got NTL in the 1st place cos they offered nice speed and a far better cap than eircom at the time but once a better ISP becomes available in my area thats it ill be switchin.

Given the number of threads on this subject over the past while, I'm stickying this so people can read it and reply in this thread instead of just creating new threads on the subject.

If anyone starts discussing any ways to download copyright material via bittorrent then they will be banned, however general discussion on the subject of bittorrent speeds and throttling is allowed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I download of a 100mbit dumpsite in .fr that uses iSSL, throttle that ya ba$tards :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement