Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/Chorus (UPC) Traffic Shaping on Torrents?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I download of a 100mbit dumpsite in .fr that uses iSSL, throttle that ya ba$tards :D

They still could by throttling your whole connection on all ports but given the complaints this would cause I'd imagine there unlikely to do this :)

The likes of traffic on port 21, 80, 22 etc are unlikely to be throttled anytime soon I'd imagine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

a bit off topic, but im on BT ADSL, however just to note, my mate is on Digiweb ADSL and he gets crap speeds of torrents. about 30kB/s/

And its not that the torrents are slow, there private torrents with nice speeds that maxes out my 2Mb line. about 220kB/s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

eoinok wrote:
    I have to laugh at people questioning here whether what Chorus is doing (torrent throttling) is legal or not?

And you think bittorrent is legal yea?

Lads, ye haven't a leg to stand on and I fully support any ISP who throttles any sort of p2p stuff if it means that there will be more bandwidth available to "normal" users.

Well, yes, of COURSE bittorrent is legal. Most people don't use it legally, of course, but many quite respectable companies do use it for software updates and such.
    eoinok wrote:
    Cabaal, I am a Cisco CCNP, Checkpoint certified and various other networking/firewall certifications that are too numerous to mention.

I have been working in various networking roles for the last 10 years.

Oh, my mistake, he has pieces of paper; he must be right.

And he's beeing working in networking for ten years. It's a little-known fact that people absorb legal knowledge when working in networking, through osmosis.
    eoinok wrote:
    I will probably get chastised for not posting some more noe but some of the stuff I read on here, doesn't really intice me to.
    I prefer to keep my thoughts and advise to other technical forums rather than waste my time here.

I wonder does he have a certificate in spelling, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

eoinok wrote:
    Cabaal, I am a Cisco CCNP, Checkpoint certified and various other networking/firewall certifications that are too numerous to mention.

Oh, my mistake, he has pieces of paper; he must be right.

And he's beeing working in networking for ten years. It's a little-known fact that people absorb legal knowledge when working in networking, through osmosis.
    eoinok wrote:
    I will probably get chastised for not posting some more noe but some of the stuff I read on here, doesn't really intice me to.
    I prefer to keep my thoughts and advise to other technical forums rather than waste my time here.

I wonder does he have a certificate in spelling, too?
    eoinok wrote:
    Ok, one last more time on this......

Who do people here think they are trying to kid by standing up for bittorrent? Yes it is legal, yes it can be legally used to download legally available software but when was the last time that anyone used it to down download anything other than pirated games/software/moves/mp3's etc? If someone replies to this saying they use to download legally availabe stuff yada yada yada, go look at yourself in the mirror and say it again.....

Actually, I occasionally download video demonstrations of things like Common Lisp programming. Some of these are from academic HTTP servers, but then again, some of them are via BitTorrent; the people who make them generally don't have the resources to host them conventionally themselves.

Look, I'm sure you're an amazing, fabulous network engineer, and that Cisco products positively swoon in your presence, but I think that you should consider the possibility that there are things you don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mollser

Is anyone still having problems?

Nothing really budges on any of my torrents, encryption or not (maybe after a couple of hours the speeds get up to about 40kB/s, but will drop again).

But tonight I try and download openoffice.org and it whizzes down at full pace via torrent. However all other torrents are crawling along. Given that this discussion has died down has this problem gone away for most people?? Thx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Still appears to be much the same for me, but frankly I'm not too bothered as I have other arrangements :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

I have 6mb NTL and using BitTorrent Encryption it's working as charm!
    At Full throttle 600Kb/s :cool:
    I have to put a limit in the download bandwidth because if not my flat mates can't even browse internet :D

But eMule is not as fast as bittorrent, probably is the raz*r server that are offline or something...
    Kad is connected and ID is high, any tips?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Same package, slow as hell, regardless of whether it's public/private, or whether I use Azereus, uTorrent or whatever. What program do you use Gian-Pa, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Seems okay again for me now. Still going to be cancelling though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Gian-Pa wrote:
    I have to put a limit in the download bandwidth because if not my flat mates can't even browse internet :D

But eMule is not as fast as bittorrent, probably is the raz*r server that are offline or something...

Regards

Whats your set up? Find it hard to believe your getting that speed. How you doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

mickger wrote:
    Whats your set up? Find it hard to believe your getting that speed. How you doing it?

Hi

I'm in the 3mb package and last friday was getting downloads at some point about 255 kb/s using bittornado.

My setup is Nlt modem ====> Sipura 2100 ATA ======> Netgear Wireless router.

Regards

Although its pure speculation, there's a chance NTL might be using http://www.sandvine.com/products/p2p_element.asp for network mangement

I would explain why P2P works in some area's better then others because sandvine will manage network capacity, so if lets say they network is being maxed in Waterford it would throttle P2P traffic to even things out...this would generally happen at peak times.

The biggest problem with P2P throttling is the user might get decent download speeds but there upload speed will be often non-existent so this causes problems for the user.

Just speculation really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

eoinok wrote:

I am also involved in a WISP.

I have probably have forgotten more about networking/firewalls etc than most people here will probably ever know.

So, I dont need to be told to read up about how bittorrent works and ports etc etc.

P.S. I will now await the deluge of "nit picking" posts that shall follow where people shall highlight one line of this post and elaborate for 2 paragraphs on it.
    Good night.

CCNP eh, for a wireless ISP ... hmm ... you must have been really desperate for work, Clearwire, Irish Broadband and Digiweb pay crap wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ewor

mollser wrote:
    Is anyone still having problems?

Nothing really budges on any of my torrents, encryption or not (maybe after a couple of hours the speeds get up to about 40kB/s, but will drop again).

But tonight I try and download openoffice.org and it whizzes down at full pace via torrent. However all other torrents are crawling along. Given that this discussion has died down has this problem gone away for most people?? Thx

Some of the isp's have whitelists for allowed torrent trackers. So torrents from allowed trackers(ie trackers who track legal files or whatever) will go at full speed.

Here is a list of "BAD" ISPs but ireland is not included at the moment
    hxxp://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

And if your still having a problem even with encryption enabled check this out
    hxxp://torrentfreak.com/how-to-encrypt-BitTorrent-traffic/

or this is better
    hxxp://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping

And for eoinok:
    What you say is true, ya gotta be foolish to think anything below 95% of bittorrent use is illegal, but no need to sound so self important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Gian-Pa wrote:

Regards

does anyone know how this is done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Even with encryption forced (and legacy connections disabled) and using
    port 80 I've noticed traffic shaping on NTL connections. Depends on the
    time of day which fits in with what Cabaal suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What ISP *doesn't* throttle?

They could have lots of customers, if someone wants to name them.

IBB also seems to be throttling, by the way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Interesting, it's flying along today - 400kb/s right now and on previous torrents earlier today. Really points toward selective timing on torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

ixoy wrote: »
    Interesting, it's flying along today - 400kb/s right now and on previous torrents earlier today. Really points toward selective timing on torrents.

Like you ixoy I experienced almost full speeds on torrents over the weekend, now I cannot even get over 5kb/s. I've tried downloading linux installs with 30k+ seeds, I also tried downloading a torrent I had full speeds at the weekend with.

I've also tried changing the various encryption settings already mentioned in this thread to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ok ok ok... I bet I can solve this straight away. I bet the lot of you are running your connections through a router right?

Ok, so 9 times out of 10 I bet it's a port issue, I'm on NTL and have been downloading torrents at 300kbps / 400kbps the past few nights. All you have to do is check which port your torrent program is using, set up a vlan connection in your router so that it forwards everything sent to that port to your internal ip address.

Eg: uTorrent on my machine is using TCP port 47475, so I just have to make sure that port range 47475 - 47475 is forwarded to 192.168.1.2 and i'm sorted. (Make sure your router gives you a perminant DHCP lease so that you'll always recieve the same IP address, otherwise you'll have to recofigure this all the time).

Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Dude no disrespect or anything but if that was the problem then this thread would not be this long. The majority of the people here would know to do that already, its nothing to do with routers man.

Achilles wrote: »
    Ok ok ok... I bet I can solve this straight away. I bet the lot of you are running your connections through a router right?

Ok, so 9 times out of 10 I bet it's a port issue, I'm on NTL and have been downloading torrents at 300kbps / 400kbps the past few nights. All you have to do is check which port your torrent program is using, set up a vlan connection in your router so that it forwards everything sent to that port to your internal ip address.

Eg: uTorrent on my machine is using TCP port 47475, so I just have to make sure that port range 47475 - 47475 is forwarded to 192.168.1.2 and i'm sorted. (Make sure your router gives you a perminant DHCP lease so that you'll always recieve the same IP address, otherwise you'll have to recofigure this all the time).

Problem solved.

Problem solved? :rolleyes: I think you're being more than a tad condescending.

I think you're overlooking the fact most users know what to do to
    ensure their router/firewall is set-up correctly - (and there's always
    portforward.com to help those who need a step-by-step guide).

Fact remains that NL/UPC/Chello are engaging in traffic shaping
    at certain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

okay, enough with the sanctimonious finger diarrhea.
    This throttling affair is bull**** and I want to know what can be done about it.
    I'm on NTL 6meg.
    I have purchased and pay an extra premium for a service that is measured in speed, contention ratio, and volume (data transfer) and I'm not getting it.
    At work, with Eircom, during supposed "high traffic" periods (during the day) my torrents download fine ....and the port is not even forwarded properly! No throttling there.
    At home with my NTL 6meg connection (I left the Eircom rip off lured by twice the speed and CAP though now I don't know why, Eircoms only problem was their price), torrents barely move and then the net inevidably stops working so I have to reset my router. Rinse repeat....ad nausum.
    "Traffic Shaping" is a euphemism for crap service. I'm sure there is a compromise somewhere realistically but as it stands its not throttled. Its choked and strangled.
    Not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Eh... My torrents are at a stand still today. I'm not a huge torrent machine, I might use a few torrents a week (for nothing illegal of course ;)! ). Generally off of a certain private site that I'm a member of I get a good 600-700KB/sec with my 6meg NTL connection, today I'm getting nothing. It says its connected to 57 peers, but still nothing. This must be something on NTL's end, because I've checked and double checked my firewall and router settings. Yesterday things downloaded fine, now nothing.

I've tried different torrent clients, different sites, and different torrents. Not one will download a blessed thing.

Either its NTL or windows has decided to block all of my inbound connections without telling me, because I've never had this trouble in the past.

My actual speed has not been limited in anyway, though. I can download at full speed from www.unreal.ie, and I tried a DCC connection with a friend over IRC and got my usual 64k/sec upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah same for me, I am using Utorrent and I would normally get over 260 nodes, now I am only getting 60 nodes. Something fishy is deffo going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

my speeds have been very irratic over the last week. i've also been having issues with my cable modem failing to synch with NTL every other day. I've had NTL for a couple of years without any reliability issues.

I'm in D7 (Cabra), anyone else having similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

didnt have a problem yesterday
    I use utorrent everyday, about 5 torrents a day (most of them legal, certain software and gaming updates and movie trailers)
    Now all of a sudden its going 0.2kB p/s
    My http web browsing is fine
    Ive done a speed test, 3669kb download and 349upload
    Im on NTL 3mb in North County Dublin

Sorry to say this is getting absolutely F00kin ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Left them over night. Speeds didn't improve at all.

Oh NTL are going to be getting an earful if this isn't fixed by the time I get home today.

I'd a look at this for a mate who was having the same problem with NTL
    yesterday.

Using uTorrent, the only peers it was downloading from were other
    NTL users in Ireland. Whilst it was identifying other peers and resolving
    their IP addresses it was not downloading from anyone not on the
    NTL network. Download speed on any torrent was not exceeding
    30kps on the 3 mbs connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mollser

I'd a look at this for a mate who was having the same problem with NTL
    yesterday.

Using uTorrent, the only peers it was downloading from were other
    NTL users in Ireland. Whilst it was identifying other peers and resolving
    their IP addresses it was not downloading from anyone not on the
    NTL network. Download speed on any torrent was not exceeding
    30kps on the 3 mbs connection.

I was at home last Monday week during the day and I was surprised that my torrents were flying. However since then, using it during the evenings, they really don't go anywhere and I've noticed the above happening.

I have hope that NTL are going to lift whatever restrictions they have when they've rolled out their infrastructure, but my patience is wearing very thin. I'm not a heavy torrent user by any means, but I do like to grab the odd thing, its about all I use the net for to be honest, and now they aint providing this service. Think i'll drop them, but who's any better??? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement