Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/Chorus (UPC) Traffic Shaping on Torrents?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 canmatt

Is it just torrent downloading that's the problem, or are people having trouble streaming videos and music as well? I'm considering getting NTL cause I don't have that many other options but this is scaring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mollser

canmatt wrote: »
    Is it just torrent downloading that's the problem, or are people having trouble streaming videos and music as well? I'm considering getting NTL cause I don't have that many other options but this is scaring me.

No, streaming videos and audio is lightning fast, no problems there at all. Some of the more "traditional" p2p apps are ok as well, its just torrents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

NTL in Lucan very slow on my 6Meg line since 17th --- ish.... All traffic slow, not only Torrents....Upload speed normal... Download speed back to 56K modem/ISDN speeds :0( ...........
    I use Mercury service (www.fileshack.com) for game Demo's dowloads etc and normal download speeds of +700kbs ..Always Rock solid...
    With slow downloads and normal upload speed sounds to me like line contention but cos it all happened after one day it doesnt make much sense....?
    Internet was non-usable last night as it was so slow..
    Called NTL today and message on phone reported upgrade works yesterday ....21st and to reboot you modem and system today.....
    Spoke with girl in NTL as she reports no upgrade works in Lucan in last few days.
    Will check later when i get home if any better........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Using uTorrent, the only peers it was downloading from were other
    NTL users in Ireland. Whilst it was identifying other peers and resolving
    their IP addresses it was not downloading from anyone not on the
    NTL network. Download speed on any torrent was not exceeding
    30kps on the 3 mbs connection.

uTorrent has "local peer discovery" enabled by default. This means it gives preference to other NTL users when looking for someone to download from.

I'd say uTorrent is finding plenty of NTL seeders (hence not bothering with anyone else) but the throttling is making the overall maximum speed very slow.

Dog slow downloading for me this evening btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Pathetic speeds alright. Damned annoyed with ntl. I have in the past got 200-300 kb/s but recently it's nearer 3-5, and this is 24hours a day. It seems to never improve now. NEVER.

Shower of codders. What can we do about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

In the same boat here lads, I have the phone wiht them too and many times I have picked it up to make a call and there is no dial tone at all!! I restart the PC etc. but still no joy. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, the channels and broadband went off there on Tuesday evening for a good hour. I'm in the Clondalkin area. Did anyone else lose their connection around 6.30 p.m. on Tuesday evening?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I normally use utorrent, but since my daughter got a new cable modem, changed from a Motorola 5101 to a Scientific Atlanta VOIP modem, both going thru a Netgear wifi router, it wont connect to peers, despite setting port forwarding on the router. However, BitLord does work with no problems, apart from the occasional torrent that objects to Bitlord.

Anybody have any ideas why this might be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

Hi try the broadband section here is a link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=259

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Moved from Cable & IPTV TV to Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

What Operating System have you got? If it's Vista, you might have to perform further "tweaks".

• Advertisement

Its XP Pro on a Dell laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to my PC. However, have you port forwarding set up correctly? Have you configured uTorrent to only use the port specified in PF, and not to assign random ports at startup?

Is there a windows firewall blocking it, or blocking the port that you are trying to use?

My other daughter also has NTL BB but no router. utorrent works fine on that, plugged straight into the cable modem
    Neither utorrent or bitlord are set to use a random port

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you have no firewall when there is no Router, so no settings for p2p needed.

When you DO have a router, any PC firewall should be disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

UPC networks director Conor Harrison said "abusing the network" by downloading "excessive" files would result in the cable operator restricting traffic. UPC monitors individual connections and reduces P2P traffic at peak demand times as it has experienced heavy data users affecting the connections of other UPC users in their locality.

"It's very much an evolving arena.

We're constantly looking at traffic management and it's a sensitive subject, " Harrison said. "We have to ensure the network keeps pace with the applications out there."

http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Business/Business%20Week&id=79633&SUBCAT=Tribune/Business/Business%20Week&SUBCATNAME=#

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Its not like they don't have a cap, 40GB for a 6MB connection.
    Also I've tried out of hours after 00:00 and it still doesn't work fast.
    I can't play world of warcraft at the moment since the updates on it are Bittorrent based and UPC are blocking.

At this point I have all the UPC services Phone/TV/Internet.
    But in 6 months or a year (When contract runs out) I could be on DSL from ESAT or Magnet with Sky+.

I don't mind a bit of speed limiting during daylight hours but 24x7 99% block.
    I also can't watch Youtube properly, obviously they are messing with this traffic also.
    Full speed to hosting365's speedtest all the time tho.
    They should clearly state on their product that the maximum speed is only achievable on http or ftp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I don't see why p2p shaping is being brought in.

If you pay for a package then you should be entitled to use it. In Full if you want. That's what you are paying the ISP for.

That's like paying for road tax and being told your only allowed to do 10k miles a year. Any more and you are causing traffic issues.
    tis a load of bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

eoinok wrote: »
    Ok, one last more time on this......

Who do people here think they are trying to kid by standing up for bittorrent? yada yada yada, ... say it again.....

I will give you a real life example. In the WISP that I am involved in, we had a nice steady average usage of 4Mbps one night in the early days. Turned off p2p shaping and this usage went up to 28Mbps instantly :eek:
    Let me tell you, it was turned back on pretty sharpish.
    I would now be actually afraid to turn if off again now in case steam starts coming out of our radio gear.

....... I know what I will do, I will go throttleing some more torrents.....

It would be really helpful to both sides of this difference of opinion if you gave us the name of your Wireless ISP in your "real life example" so people who feel they need to use bit torrent can avoid your companies services and tell all of their friends to do the same.
    Regards
    cL0h

Sorry, I think some of you may have been missing my point, maybe I didnt make it clear(thanks for your replies anyway)
    I use a laptop and plug it in to 1 daughter's NTL connection directly to cable modem, and via wifi router at daughter #2, also on NTL. At #2, both utorrent and bitlord were working until NTL changed modem to SciAtlanta from a SB5101. Now only bitlord works at #2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You'll need to open the ports on the wifi router.
    Check the threads/posts at the top of the forum
    stickied for help on port forwarding.

• Advertisement

but the router is the same!, previously a motorola modem and netgear router, now SciAtlanta modem and identical router

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    but the router is the same!, previously a motorola modem and netgear router, now SciAtlanta modem and identical router

Is the IP address the same? Are you using dynamic or fixed IP addresses?

Now everything is slow, download speed is down the less than 1Meg and ping time to boards is a wapping 200ms+
    Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=230ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=162ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=240ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=207ms TTL=58

Also thier peering on INEX doesn't seem to be very comprehensive.
    Most traffic going via Holland or the UK.

both configurations of #2 were with dynamic IP's in the 192.168.x.x range

Unless you're using fixed IP addressing you'll need to check what IP address
    the router has assigned each time you log in/connect to the router.
    From a DOS window, type IPCONFIG and then ensure your current
    IP address matches the IP address you have the ports on the router
    open/forwarded for. (portforward.com will show how).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

On NTL in dublin 1:

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    <snip>
    Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 32ms

Steady 710Kb/sec on the 6meg package too

Working normally here.

Sounds like a CMTS running at capacity in your area.

Yeh, I'm familiar with IP addressing and NAT routers, etc, but even after setting port forwarding settings on the router, utorrent wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Make sure you have encryption turned onto enabled or forced.... it may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I had a simmilar problem when I changed my broadband from NTL to Eircom. I have two laptops in the house and on one I get speeds of 150k on a torrent while getting speeds of maybe 3kb on the other one on the same torrent. I have read copious amounts on what to do in this instance and tried everything recommended (changing to fixed IP, forwarding ports etc) and nothing has worked. I've given up on it now.
    When you use utorrent does it say that the port you are using is open and forwarded correctly? After much fiddling with my laptop that does work well I found a WAN miniport option. Before I open this I get a message that all ports are closed and my utorrent doesn't work. Once I connect to the WAN miniport the utorrent port opens and my torrent seems to fly down. Maybe it's something like that ? Sadly I've found nothing like it on my other laptop.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote: »
    On NTL in dublin 1:

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    <snip>
    Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 32ms

Steady 710Kb/sec on the 6meg package too

Working normally here.

Sounds like a CMTS running at capacity in your area.

It would be handy to know which areas are being targeted by their Torrent blocking technology. I'm in Tyrrelstown and its been blocked/throttled most of the time.
    I'd be interested to know if they are trialling it in some areas before rolling it out accross the whole network.
    Can someone from NTL/UPC respond to this maybe?

Its just seems a bit odd that they are having problems with local areas being overloaded, surely the expensive bit is the bit that connects them to the internet.

Some areas are completly unaffected at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement