Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/Chorus (UPC) Traffic Shaping on Torrents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

many spanks to you.

I'm checkin it out

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elsparko

Shiny wrote: »
    Sent you a PM Jack on one method of getting better speeds.

Shiny, any chance you could pm me that too please? gettin absolutely terrible speeds myself. no more that 5k like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

tell ya what, try downloading a linux torrent thats highly seeded and post a screenshot of your speeds. The Ubuntu ones usually will max out your connection.

Although, in fairness, you're foolish to still be using torrents when there are better alternatives out there which will give you better speeds and which won't be traffic shaped by the ISP's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

L31mr0d, i download a fedora linux install for a friend using UTorrent - completely maxed out my connection getting constant speeds of 700K+ on NTL 6mb. not bad - in fact couldn't really be better!

It varies tho, during the day I get 50K+ and it manages to slow my whole connection to an unusable crawl :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

private trackers are usually aimed at pirated software/media and nothing more. They make money for donations that can be traded of for upload credit.

Can some one explain to me what private trackers are, how to use them and if I should?? I'm on NTL 2mb's package and it is taking longer than ever to download torrents. Some of them have even stopped connecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

@L31mr0d,
    Care to let me know what the better alternatives are? "when there are better alternatives"

Cheers,
    M

he is no doubt referring to newsgroups, which are subscription based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

silvine wrote: »
    Can some one explain to me what private trackers are, how to use them and if I should?? I'm on NTL 2mb's package and it is taking longer than ever to download torrents. Some of them have even stopped connecting.

As I understand it private trackers are ones which limit access to members only. So if you go to any of the main torrent sites and search for a file, the private trackers files won't be listed...effectively it's limiting file sharing to members only. If you are a member you go to the site and search for the file you want, the search will only return files that are managed by the tracker, but you need an account with them.
    In most cases private trackers will require you to maintain a good ratio i.e.: you have to have good upload rate. Usually there are way more seeders than leechers because people want to maintain their ratios, which means downloads are fast but you have to make your downloads available for upload to maintain your ratio.
    With private trackers you are sharing with a much smaller pool of people but those people will tend to be uploading much more than people on public trackers do. I don't think using a private tracker would help you get around the traffic shaping, they use the same bit-torrent protocol as all other torrent sites.
    Not sure how you join most private trackers, I think they tend to work on an 'invite' system or maybe you pay to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

This isn't a filesharing forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

i have chorus ntl and got a brand spanking laptop...since connecting it i cannot download torrents...and ive tried everything. sometimes they download at 1kb/s or 2kb/s but then it stalls and i cant access any other internet whilst utorrent is running. i have tried everything; changing ports, coming off wireless; encryption; different downloading providers....at my whits end with it now!!! My old pc that died last week had no probs at all....i think it may be something to do with VISTA. Mind you, even with the windows firewall turned off it still doesnt work.....Any ideas anyone???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dmaurice wrote: »
    i have chorus ntl and got a brand spanking laptop...since connecting it i cannot download torrents...and ive tried everything. sometimes they download at 1kb/s or 2kb/s but then it stalls and i cant access any other internet whilst utorrent is running. i have tried everything; changing ports, coming off wireless; encryption; different downloading providers....at my whits end with it now!!! My old pc that died last week had no probs at all....i think it may be something to do with VISTA. Mind you, even with the windows firewall turned off it still doesnt work.....Any ideas anyone???!!!
    Even with their traffic shaping you should get better speeds than that.
    Have you opened ports on the router?Are you using wifi?
    www.portforward.com

yup. done everything and www.portforward.com tells me the port is open to accept torrent traffic...on limewire i managed to download a film but then tried another and it wouldnt work, utorrent lets me access internet until i start downloading a torrent then i cant do anything else...even when i limit the bandwith etc....i work in IT sales and had a tech guy from work on the phone last night and he is stumped too!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I am not sure how Vista works, but have you made your laptop IP static?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

doesnt vista use a network stacker or something?
    i know its a lot better than vista, but im sure microsoft havnt exactly got it perfect for that type of use.

someone at work today said they use easynews.com and its $6 a month! he said its brilliant.

someone at work today said they use easynews.com and its $6 a month! he said its brilliant.

Signed up to Giganews. Lots of stuff,brilliant speeds and no traffic shaping. It is a little more complicated though... Is there a discussion around Boards about newsgroups?

Tried some of the Azureus tips to avoid traffic shaping. Made little difference :(. Bumped my connection up to 3mb. Made a bit of a difference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Seriously: any further mentioning of where you go to get warez will get your post deleted and you banned.

We don't need the hassle that attracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have been heavily using torrents over the last few weeks. Apparently NTL rang my house earlier today and told my sister that there was too much being downloaded. She said the guy had fairly broken English and he was quite aggressive. Anyone else ever get this?

You should ring Comreg, complain and get a reference number and then ring NTL back telling them what you have done.

If you have gone over your download cap fair enough but there is no need for an "aggressive" phone call from NTL.

I have been heavily using torrents over the last few weeks. Apparently NTL rang my house earlier today and told my sister that there was too much being downloaded. She said the guy had fairly broken English and he was quite aggressive. Anyone else ever get this?

Define 'heavily using'.

I knew NTL/UPC had off-shored their sales as I'd received numerous calls in
    the past from their call centre trying to upsell me to their VOIP service.
    I'm talking 3-4 calls per evening every day for over 2 weeks; it went beyond
    funny and I insisted they take me off their marketing databases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Define 'heavily using'.

I knew NTL/UPC had off-shored their sales as I'd received numerous calls in
    the past from their call centre trying to upsell me to their VOIP service.
    I'm talking 3-4 calls per evening every day for over 2 weeks; it went beyond
    funny and I insisted they take me off their marketing databases.

Around 150GB down and about the same up over an 7 week period, over 3GB a day basically. My sister said after the initial outburst he was trying to convince her to upgrade our package? She told him to f*ck off and never ring again :D
    Well I've got the warning now anyway so I'll probably just take it easy for a few months

Sounds like you're on the 30 gig allowance - based on the fact they wanted
    you to upgrade to next bundle up. So 150 gig down plus 150 up, as NTL count
    both, puts you on 300 gig of traffic compared to their 1 gig a day policy.
    I'd stick to the 1-1.5 gig a day for a while (up and down) ;)

300 gb? Yowser!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

how do you use these newsgroups to get TV shows down or the likes?

Best read the charter or the warnings above...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BRM wrote: »
    how do you use these newsgroups to get TV shows down or the likes?

I don't want to see anyone discussing where to get copyright material in this thread or forum, read the charter or get banned.

I have to say I've managed 12GB in a day in NTL and I've done that for a solid week but then the next week I might only do 3GB the whole week and the week after etc.

I don't take the piss that much and I keep my eye on my usage the majority of the time, I've not heard anything from NTL in over a year usage wise (not since the warning letters)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

Silvine you have PM

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

Finally the roll out of 12mb to all us 6 mb NTL users is comming summer and its free weeeeeeee see how fast 2 modems in tandem can download now lol.

UPDATE my seedbox has upped well over 4 TB in 3 months now im happy to cancel it and continue my downs from tracker.............:o
    I have accumulated at least 3 yrs worth of download credit yaaaaaay.

Stupid question but would two modems not only still download at 12mb? Surely you would need two connections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

Very simple use a dual wan port router with load balancing simple as that or use a wingate mod with three nics installed on an old pc ,one for local lan and two for modem ports setup firewall build your own router yaaaaay.

so to recap that would be 80 yo yo a month for 24 mb line noice
    2x ultra packages 12mb +12mb auto balanced....... it will max out newsgroups but individual trackers downloads would have to stick to one ip on the router but that is taken care of auto nice to see torrent client humping down at 2,400kbs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement