Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/Chorus (UPC) Traffic Shaping on Torrents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

i fixed the prob!! delighted!! :) i had macaffee antivirus. my 30day trial expired so i uninstalled it and now just run AVG once a week...it works fine now...macaffee must block it...even when i disabled the firewall it still managed to block it! happy dys now though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm not an NTL customer and won't ever be (due to two bad experiences with NTL and one with Chorus they'll never be getting my money again) so this is just out of curiosity, but how effective is their torrent throttling?

has anyone been able to get around it, or are you all just switching to alternative methods that aren't getting the life squeezed out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Would NTL's traffic shaping of torrents affect gaming on XBox Live? I'm assuming it would considering it uses FTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

im sure my problem is oort related git this message recently

"Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
    A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 15446 on xx.yy.zzz.30...

Error! Port 15446 does not appear to be open"

can anyone tell me how to sort this out tried port checker but its not as straight forward as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No it wouldn't silvine. FTP != torrent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

brm, you need to open a port in your router.

http://www.portforward.com

^^ go there and read.

and afaik ntl dont shape/forward/block/restrict/or anything to their lines.

ive had 6mb with ntl for 3 months now and ive gotten anywhere from 1kb/s to 1.5mb/s downloading on torrents.
    its 100% down to how you configure it and where/who you download from.

does anyone know what type of router the eircom one is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

BRM wrote: »
    does anyone know what type of router the eircom one is?

You using an Eircom router with a NTL cable modem?

Nice combo ;)

no just the eircom router with eircom dsl

more to the point whats ip addresses of eircom DNS servers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

and afaik ntl dont shape/forward/block/restrict/or anything to their lines.

ive had 6mb with ntl for 3 months now and ive gotten anywhere from 1kb/s to 1.5mb/s downloading on torrents.
    its 100% down to how you configure it and where/who you download from.

UPC/NTL have admitted they restrict P2P traffic and use traffic shaping technology.

Read here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

interesting, a sales guy told me last thursday that they did not throttle torrents in any way, he even went and asked his supervisor:D

I had a bit of grief with chorus breaking appointments they made to upgrade our digital tv box. It was goin on months. 5 missed appointments, I phoned and told them I was disconnecting if a techie wasnt there in morn..blah blah . he arrived and did his thing.

I called chorus back and told them I wanted a credit to our account from when the whole saga started. i got it. I said i also wanted a good will gesture to keep my custom. got four months half price tv, I said that wasnt good enough so disconnect me. eventually I got broadband half price for 6 months which I was chuffed with. I 've been using 3datacard so getting chorus bb was my intention from the start.

moral = you have to threaten chorus to get service from them + if you tell them you want to disconnect they will throw a few offers to keep your custom.

as soon as my offer is up I'll be ringing back to tell them I want to disconnect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah we had Chorus before Sky was popular and when we rang to disconnect, they offered it to us indefinitely for 10 Euro cheaper than we were currently paying. The service was cutting out though so we still didn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're having problems not related to the subject of this thread then you should start your own. people on forums generally don't like thread hijacking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BRM if your having any issues with Eircom then this is the wrong thread, this thread is only for the discussion of traffic shaping issues on UPC related company's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

BlissIRL banned for two weeks for mentioning a warez site.

you bad boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Was going to post a new thread till I saw this..

Offering me a 6 meg line with telephone and ntl digital tv for a fairly decent price.

Just wondering as to the reliability of their service, I'm moving off of bt due to it crashing continuously and their not being able to supply me above a 2 meg line (Swords exchange, it's crap).

What is the cap and do they throttle consistently or only at peak times?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Do NTL offer trials for their broadband?

Their customer service is crap. I managed to knock out my connection the other evening whiel trying to get a wireless router going. I rang customer service. she talked me through rebootin the modem and computer:p. when that didnt work she said she's have to pass me onto tech support, she came back then and told me that there was a long cue and it would have to be tomorrow when they call.

they never did of course but I had fixed it by then.

cant argue with the price though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Brimmy wrote: »
    What is the cap and do they throttle consistently or only at peak times?
    Consistently, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I can understand why a lot of people have problems with NTL but it's hard to argue with the price when you combine it with a tv package. Plus their speed upgrades are quite good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I'm with BT for a few years now, but I'm being throttles to DEATH with my cap breech this month. I've had enough!!

I just contacted NTL (I'm in the 12meg area) - As a new customer I asked if they 'officially throttle torrent use'...?

THEY SAID THEY DONT!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Your talking to a sales drone, usually reading off a script. What do you expect.

Yeah lol they don't officially block torrents, they unofficially do it.

Sales people will say anything especially if they don't know what something is, they always just say yeah it can do that if they don't know what it is. I do support where I work on problems for clients and our users desktop computers so I hear them doing it and I'm just thinking no it can't do that.

One problem was weird because it was a new guy and half the new people told him to tell his clients it could do that and that they were sure it could do it. So he rang me just to double check but it can't do that! I've told I don't know how many people, I don't know how many times about that but they just forget or don't care. They just want to make another sale and get commission. Better off to email the tech department if you can get an email address from their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

brim4brim wrote: »
    ...Better off to email the tech department if you can get an email address from their website.

That used to work, I dount it will now. Last time I tried emailing them, because I couldn't get through on the phone, and said this in the email. They emailed me back to ring them. Which is funny for a ISP. When their engineer was in my house it took him about 30mins on hold to get through on the engineers line. They must have hardly any staff covering the support lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

any 1 think it would be worth it to go to chorus from eircom i have 2mb line at thye mo with eircom but was gonna get 12 mb from chorus i use it a lot on the ps3 and play cod4 which uses p2p so will they block it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Could NTL be throttling youtube. It's been incredibly slow for youtube only in the last few weeks!

Anybody else experienced this?

Youtube can just be too busy to give good speeds are times I think.

Always been a slow website for me. Always have to wait for it to buffer video's.

That could just be me though, I use IBB, in work we have Magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

brim4brim wrote: »
    Youtube can just be too busy to give good speeds are times I think.

Always been a slow website for me. Always have to wait for it to buffer video's.

That could just be me though, I use IBB, in work we have Magnet.

I always had to wait for it to load a little before watching but it's probably only half the speed it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CodedFire

I think service throttling is only going to get worse as many content providers of music, films etc put severe pressure on ISP's. I can see both sides of the throttling arguement but i would be inclined to sway with chourus on this. While i do agree that bit torrent as a technolgy is not only legal but a great solution to handling large files, it has to be said that its majority use is to procure illigelly sourced content. Lets call a spade a spade folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement