Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want your opinions...

Options
  • 08-08-2007 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Well I talked to alot of people about upgrading my dell dimension 8400 but nothing much could be done.....so I went around browsing and I came across this: (My budget is just 2000 euro but this just a little bit above and I dont' want no massive computer with all the specs and stuff in it)

Intel® Viiv™ Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz,1066MHz,8MB cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
    HARDWARE SUPPORT 1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    MONITOR Dell™ 19" Silver Wide Flat Panel (SE198WFP) - UK/Irish
    MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    HARD DRIVE 1 TB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x500GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
    GRAPHICS CARD SINGLE 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card
    OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD+/-RW & 48x CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
    KEYBOARD Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    MOUSE Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black
    PHYSICS PCI CARD 128MB Ageia™ PhysX™ physics accelerator PCI card
    Accessories
    SOUND CARD Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Music PCI Soundcard

Just tell me what ya all think about it...thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

That is a very high end machine. Ditch the physics card. Drop the processor to a core duo and get a 22" screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

Arite I'll do the processor but the 19" screen is free so I'll probably stick with that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd say stick with the quad-core and drop the Ageira card.
    With what you save on the card use it to upgrade the monitor to a 20 widescreen or 22" otherwise you're only wasting that 8800GTX at the 19" resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

yeah stick with the quad core and if i were you i'd upgrade to the larger monitor or possibly more ram cause vista uses up to and above 1.89GB** when gaming
    **based on my experience with an 8800gts and vista playing BF2142

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

requiem1 wrote:
    yeah stick with the quad core and if i were you i'd upgrade to the larger monitor or possibly more ram cause vista uses up to and above 1.89GB** when gaming
    **based on my experience with an 8800gts and vista playing BF2142

agrees...was playing FSX with 2gigs and game crashed saying it was out of available memory..wtf!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

if you are sticking with a 19" monitor and do not play to upgrade it to a bigger one for a year or more i would ditch the quad core, and get a E6850, 4gb ram and a 8800gts 640. Save the money and invest it in a upgrade further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

agrees...was playing FSX with 2gigs and game crashed saying it was out of available memory..wtf!:eek:

i go that with COD2!!! it shut my computer down and i thought my graphics card had failed and i nearly had a fit until it rebooted and the error log told me i had run out of available system memory!!! scary times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

ya arite thanks guys...I'll probably drop vista and get windows xp cuz I was using vista the other day and didn't quite like it....and yeah I'll drop the Ageira card, istead get a 22" moniter.

Thanks again:)

Advertisement