Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Mile Broadband - Opinions?

• 08-08-2007 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

Anyone here have any feedback on Last Mile Broadband - http://www.lastmile.ie
    I'm looking at it for a location in Longwood, Co. Meath and I gather they provide coverage.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Tried & failed with lastmile. Sent numerous emails to both info & sales over the last month - no reply. Tried calling 4 times - rang out - at 12 in the afternoon!!
    Neighbour of mine sent off his cheque. It was cashed within 2 weeks, he was told they were swamped & would be at leats 6 weeks. After 10 weeks of crap excuses he politely called up to their offices & demanded his refund. Got it too.. That was enough for me.

Apparently they use a lot of freelancers to install, don't know if this is the main cause of the delays, but a crap customer service like they have, isn't worth the hassle.

Only problem is that the area i'm living in is outside of the coverage of Digiweb & others. Others have told me they will have coverage in the region round christmas....Think i'll have to suffer with 31.2kps for a while longer until someone places a competitor in the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most of Lastmiles area has 3G or EDGE coverage from O2 , see if you can get a 14 day trial of the O2 Broadband from the local O2 shop and test it at home for a week . No installation required , simply plug it in the PC.

edge is c 200k speeds at best
    3g is c 2mbits at best

if in a 3g area the system will use that, otherwise it will fall back to EDGE and in extremis to GPRS which is dialup speed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'd try the 3G broadband first because Lastmiles speeds are a joke for the price.

We tried to get them before the 3G operators came out and a similar experience to the poster above.

I've not seen any good reviews about the operator either. I've seen people say its okay for browsing but you can't do anything else with it like VOIP because the ping times are so bad.

I'd avoid them like the plague as a I started a thread requesting reviews about them about a year ago and that was the general opinion of them and I don't think much has changed since.

They seem to be the type of company that wants to get by on ripping people off that can't get any other type of broadband. These companies days are numbered with the mobile operators roll out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Lastmile are awful, provide a bad service are ridiculously overpriced and have terrible customer care.

Avoid them if you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 star01

Lastmile have abominable customer service, and we are currently looking for an alternative provider. We have been with them for 2 years (contract period required), as stated, no help with phoning up.

They told me that my connection speed of download4.91kbps and 30.9 kbps upload speed must be an issue with my router, but offered no assistance. We bought a 3 mobile connection as we could not get any speed from Lastmile in the evenings but were trapped in a contract. We told them we had to buy 3 connection and it was average but better then Lastmile and they said they would send out a technician, needless to say, we never heard or saw anything more from them.

I would not recommend them to anyone, they are rude and not helpful at all and over priced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I have had lastmile for the last 2 years & have just last week got eircom broadband, I can finally tell them to shove it :D

The contention ratio on lastmile is pathetic, at night i got the full 1 meg but during the day it never went over 300k. Would not recommend them to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Seems to be a lot of problems of late, with either no service at all or sporadic/poor at best. I now know of four customers looking for alternatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 star01

What area are the customers in looking for an alternative? I know of one, but they operate in Kinnegad area/Killucan and outskirts of Mullingar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

We are also coming into the Roscommon area now, initially Four Roads in the next weeks.

There are plans for basestations in Four Mile House, Lanesborough, Kiltoom, Creag and Athlone within the next 3-4 months, after Four Roads is established.

PM me here, if there is interest.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

star01 wrote: »
    What area are the customers in looking for an alternative? I know of one, but they operate in Kinnegad area/Killucan and outskirts of Mullingar.

Between Glassan and Ballymore and between Ballymahon and Cashel.
    3G is generally poor in these areas and wired broadband only available close to the towns.

• Advertisement

veXual wrote: »
    Lastmile are awful, provide a bad service are ridiculously overpriced and have terrible customer care.

Avoid them if you can!
    I second that, i have been with lastmile for 3 years. Continue to have complete internet non usuage, extremely slow during the day when its working, ping times are worse than modem, lol at there download caps. And worst of all there customer support, never answer emails, never answer phone, the only way i could conatct them was by ringing sales and tricking them, oh and there ignorant as f**k. So my eircom broadband is here tomorrow, wahey! g'luck and goodrid to terrible overpriced crap that is last mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Airwire in Roscommon
    We are also coming into the Roscommon area now, initially Four Roads in the next weeks.

There are plans for basestations in Four Mile House, Lanesborough, Kiltoom, Creag and Athlone within the next 3-4 months, after Four Roads is established.

PM me here, if there is interest.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire

300 euro to install :eek: is the wireless aerial gold plated

no free wireless modem :eek:

btw iam in the Four Roads area (Roscommon)

300 euro to install is ridiculous

no upload or download speeds on your site

Your competitors are cheaper

Last mile

AirMax Home*

Speed

Price/month

Connection

Data Transfer

1Mb/256k

€29.99**

€89.00***

15GB
    azotel-brisknet

=Standard installation charge of €99 plus VAT = €112.36

tariff download upload limit cost/month
    Urban Home 1Mb 128kb 20GB
    €24
    Rural Home 1Mb 128kb 20GB
    €34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

brother had lastmile installed 2 weeks ago. the didnt want to take his money or even put it up when they saw a few trees in the way despite him having nothing but bog between him and the shannonbridge transmitter.
    so far so good. connection speeds are about average of the equivalent but their support service is non-existent. he said it consists of 2 people running the office when he went to pay his bill in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The connection has timed out

The server at www.airwire.ie is taking too long to respond.

Not a good sign...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ev612337

I used to live in a rural part of County Meath between Oldcastle and Kells. We had wireless 3MB fully synchronous broadband from a company called Net1. They were fantastic in every way. When we moved house last year to a rural part of Co. Longford I didn't realise the hell it would be getting broadband.

Lastmile are just a joke in terms of their offering, caps and prices. I had an e-mail exchange with them as a potential customer. Their arrogance, ignorance and mentality boggled my mind. We had 3MB up / 3MB down for €40p/m with Net1 and they wanted more money for an asynchronous service with a download of 1MB and a cap on usage! How daft in 2009!

We eventually managed to get DSL following a local exchange upgrade by Eircom. So, I signed up for their 7MB DSl with local & national calls and meteor mobile calls for €65p/m. This works well believe it or not, but they have now written to us (and all other subscribers) as a result of a case ComReg took against them relating to the Meteor calls. They are retarding the product and INCREASING the mothly costs! So hence I am on the hunt for an alternative.

I wish Net1 was available here in the midlands as they would clean up with the only competition seeming to be last mile.

Has anyone got any ideas for an alternative to DSL in Longford (Newtownforbes village to be precise).

I have to get away from Eircom and their muppetry. Last Mile is not an option EVER for me. It seems from my googling that there's no other wireless provider, and sat providers are not really an option as I also need to use VoIP without any latency factors.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nialldeman

at lastmile do you pay each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 prgmur

Has anyone any info on the above. Am planning to get WIFI but these older posts are putting me off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 prgmur

does anybody have experience of the above - outside dublin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

prgmur wrote: »
    Has anyone any info on the above. Am planning to get WIFI but these older posts are putting me off!!

With lastmile you pay per month or per year. But STAY AWAY. I wrote to the CEO of eircom to get my telephone line replaced so I could get Eircom broadband because lastmile got so terrible. When we first got it in 2007 it was brilliant, we got the speed we were paying for, but now you will be lucky to get 300kbps. The problem is that at least in my area they over subscribed.

Advertisement