Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

short term replacement for dead 9800 AGP card

Options
  • 08-08-2007 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

My old radeon 9800 pro has given up the ghost. RIP. Anyone recommend a good agp card for <100 € ?

I'm building a machine Jan time so don't want to spend more, but I need a decent enough gfx card until I replace the whole machine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

An ATI X1650Pro or NVIDIA 7600GS should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭padlad

cheers, going to get the x1650.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Would you believe that I am in the exact same situation. I work for an IT company and was given an old server which I am using as my main PC, but it does not have a PCIe port only 4x AGP. I was looking at buying a <100 euro card as I dont want to spend more on something that wont be able to a) realise it's full potential (only 4x, cards are 8x) b) wont be able to bring to my new PC.

My Radeon 9600XT gave a burning smell before dying altogether. I was looking at the X1650 card as well. How did you fare out with this? Should I get one?

You might be okay but it depends on the voltage as some AGP 4x boards would not accept the voltage used by AGP 8x card.

However lots of boards didn't obey the standards so you have AGP universal slots that allowed any card even if it wouldn't work, ones which set the wrong voltage to the wrong key.

Take a look at this and see if the motherboard matches any of the slots, the two cards I linked to are keyed for 1.5v operation only.

Yeah, was in PC world today and they want €140 for the X1650Pro, thought Peats have an X1850XT for €170. See I really dont want to spend that much on a card that I cant take with me to my next board. I work in IT, so I could get a better PC next week if someone wants to upgrade or dump one...

I read that the board will accept 1.5v card, and that is what the 9600XT card was. The board manual says that an LED warning light will come on if a 3.3V card is put in.

I think I might just leave it. Though I installed BF2 today and it wont run on my Inno3D Geforce MX4000. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Why not get a card online?

Hey Chris, I usually do, the cards I mentioned are about 40% cheaper online on Komplett.ie - but the card that I want to buy that's cheap enough that the postage will equal the saving online if you know what I mean. Think I'll just have to leave it til I get a board with PCIe.

The X1650Pro from Komplett even with delivery is €95 thats fairly reasonable.

I think you mean an X850XT for AGP probably inst worth it on an older system anyway.

Yeah there's definitely no point in buying the X1850XT as my AGP slot is only 4x anyway. My hard disk looks like it's about to fail. Go "INSERT SYSTEM DISK OR BOOT DEVICE" last night so I might just upgrade the board, chip, RAM and video card.

There's my drinking money gone for the month anyway. :mad:

Advertisement