Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excess ear wax

• 08-08-2007 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

How do you remove excess ear wax?

My ears get clogged up from time to time. I have tried ear drops, cotton buds and warm water. Nothing seems to shift it.

Anyone got any suggestions?:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hydrogen peroxide is pretty good, you can get it in any chemist (they recommended it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've this problem aswell. I've tried everything, to no avail. I just end up going to the doctor every six months to get them syringed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Put some olive oil in a tea spoon and place it in the palm of your hand so it gets warm. Drip it into your ear. Also, seek advice from a doctor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cotton buds should never be put in the ear canal, they only impact the wax further down making it harder to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 naturalessence_

katiemac wrote:

Have you ever tried Hopi Ear Candling? This treatment is also known as thermo-auricular therapy. Ear candling is a natural ear cleaning technique that originated centries ago, with the Native American Hopi Indians. It is described as a safe and simple method of removing excess earwax, infections & residuals of past ear infections.

Vist www.freewebs.com/naturalessencebeauty for further details:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

^^^^^ seen that been done a few times actually, wouldn't be too keen on someone sticking a big tube in my own ear and lighting it though tbh!!

OP, I'd just go to the doctor, he'll be able to tell you the best course of action and may even syringe it if it's bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daydreamerlotus

Malteaser! wrote:
    ^^^^^ seen that been done a few times actually, wouldn't be too keen on someone sticking a big tube in my own ear and lighting it though tbh!!

OP, I'd just go to the doctor, he'll be able to tell you the best course of action and may even syringe it if it's bad!!

The big tube thing you seem to be refering to is made of 100% organic cotton presoaked & dried with essential oils, alot less scarier than getting your ears syringed & believe me, alot less painful.

I have to say from experience, my own doc recommended getting this done several years ago, cos I too suffered badly with excess ear wax & had to keep getting them syringed, I havent looked back since.
    Not only do they really work, the treatment in itself is so relaxing & I always sleep like a baby afterwards.

Theres my peice of usefull/useless info for the day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Artmustang

I'd been using cootonbuds eversince and got no problem with it. You've to do it after bath though so the wax are soft and got to dipbuds with water so it gets softer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

katiemac wrote:

Have you ever tried Hopi Ear Candling? This treatment is also known as thermo-auricular therapy. Ear candling is a natural ear cleaning technique that originated centries ago, with the Native American Hopi Indians. It is described as a safe and simple method of removing excess earwax, infections & residuals of past ear infections.

Vist www.freewebs.com/naturalessencebeauty for further details:)

They sell these candles in my local chemists,(Galway)
    They are about €8 each.
    Use them on my oh who has the same problem as you and they work a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

go to your local pharmacy, there is a new spray you can buy, i believe its very good.
    cotton buds arent good to be sticking in your ears as they push the wax in further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

You could use it to make wellingtons lol!

Seriously, I'd avoid the cotton buds, and visit the doctor. It could be the sign of an infection or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

lol Ear candling is all a hoax, those who swear by its benefits are victims of a placebo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I just use a metal paperclip! I unbend one end to make it long enough.. the curve of the other end fits just right. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    I just use a metal paperclip! I unbend one end to make it long enough.. the curve of the other end fits just right. :)
    I do hope that this is a bravado boast. If not, it is only a matter of time until you puncture your eardrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I use a spray called "Audiclean", you simply spray during your shower and it breaks up the earwax. For larger plugs, you tilt your head to one side, spray into your canal, and wait for ten mins, rinse out, repeat until you can feel it being clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

The big tube thing you seem to be refering to is made of 100% organic cotton presoaked & dried with essential oils, alot less scarier than getting your ears syringed & believe me, alot less painful.
    Getting your ear syringed isn't painful at all so I've no idea what you're talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

RainyDay wrote:
    I do hope that this is a bravado boast. If not, it is only a matter of time until you puncture your eardrum.

No bravado.. it works great. I'd have to really stab myself with it for the round curved end of a paperclip to do damage. Using an item like this is common in Asia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I roll up the corner of a tissue to make a very fine point and insert it gently and as shallowly as possible into my ear.

It's the only successful method of physically removing wax blocking my ear I've found that isn't messy and doesn't aggrivate my ear.

@Dr Teeth
    From the wiki article you posted:
    "The practice of ear picking poses several serious health hazards to the human ear."
    :rolleyes:

You shouldn't put anything hard into your ear to remove wax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

alot less scarier than getting your ears syringed & believe me, alot less painful.
    What's scary/painful about getting your ears syringed?

The name "ear syringing" sounds a bit scary, admittedly, but the actual process is rather tame.

AFAIK they sell self-syringing kits, which could be useful if you need to do it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ds stylus tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement